• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

It started so simply, and ended so badly - V5 PO damaged dial

SwissOmega

19/5/10
So here is how the story starts.

My v5 42mm orange Planet Ocean is my favorite and most expensive Rep.

There has been a small bit of fuzz/hair at the #1 indice, I have been trying to ignore it, but recently the second hand caught a piece of the hair and has become all too annoying for me to ignore.

DSC06857-1.jpg

So finally I decide that I am going to tear down my watch and rid myself of this annoyance to my otherwise favorite/perfect rep.

So the tear down goes very well and all is sunshine and butterflies with the world. In fact as soon as I clean the last speck off the dial and out of the case a beam of light shines through my window and lights up the Omega dial.

Hey I could throw it back together and be perfectly happy but then I get a thought...... the watch is apart I now have the tools I need to perform a basic waterproof on it.

So I grease all the gaskets and reassemble without the movement and place the watch in my home made pressure tester.

DSC07059.jpg

So I go through and only a few bubbles appear from the crystal at the 50... not too bad I am satisfied that I can now swim with the thing.

So of course I think that everything is fine and dandy in the wonderful world of disney.... I fecking hate being wrong.

Ok so I lift the dial/movement up so I can take one last close look and make sure there isn't any dust that settled and it happens..... I friggen fumbled it!

Dial and movement drop like a piece of buttered toast, butter side down, in my case it was dial and hands down and they bounce off the edge of the watch case......

I hope my neighbor's kids weren't outside as even with my window closed everyone in a 4 block radius must have heard me swear. It was so loud that my dog became startled, jumped straight up and sprinted 2 feet away... right into the wall with a pathetic furry WHUMP before skittering away down the stairs.

So my perfect little PO with its new water resistance and clean dial, isn't so perfect anymore.

DSC07065-1.jpg

Nice chip at :59, scratched up second hand

DSC07066-1.jpg

light mark to the right of :47

DSC07067.jpg

Hard to see it but the indice at 40 is marred and scuffed, as well as another view of the damage to the second hand.

damage002.jpg

Ouch!

damage012.jpg

Assembled it doesn't look terrible but it is of course instantly obvious to me.

DSC07092.jpg

Lastly the now damaged wristy. :facepalm:

So it went from a little annoyance that I was living with to a perminate defect in the dial. Son of a...

Still not even sure how I lost my grip but I hope that the carnage is at least enjoyable for the forum otherwise I would be pissed off, have a damaged watch without the funds to repair it, and it would have been for nothing....

Oh and guess what, no moral to this story as it was a complete fluke.. well there you go.

I didn't want to have to do anything to this watch for a long time, don't have the money anyway, but now when I look at it on my wrist it is mocking me, laughing at me.
So coming hopefully next year when I may be able to afford it, Gen dial and hands will be getting swapped in to replace the damaged ones and to match the Gen strap.

The video of the pressure test ended up being very dark and rather boring but decided I would include it anyway.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
I feel for you. Man, that sucks BIG time.

Although I must admit I sniggered about the dog part.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Nothing to say but :( Exactly the kind of thing I'd do as I'm a clumsy bugger too :(

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
I feel your pain... I think it's happened to most of us at one time or another. I'm finally learning to think when I handle these to prevent this type of accident. Keep your eyes open for hands and dial. I thought VAC had a few vac lumed PO dials up for sale on his site.

SwissOmega

19/5/10
I feel your pain... I think it's happened to most of us at one time or another. I'm finally learning to think when I handle these to prevent this type of accident. Keep your eyes open for hands and dial. I thought VAC had a few vac lumed PO dials up for sale on his site.

Yeah he does, but not the v5 dial with orange numbers and that is one of my favorite parts of this watch, all the orange.

Add to that i am currently flat broke in terms of expendable income. But thanks for heads up.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I'm thinking black acrylic paint, with possibly a drop of grey or white added to match color.

After color matched, add in some paint sand (probably 2 micron or so) for the texture
match it up pretty well on a piece of cardboard or paper, then apply.

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
Sorry to hear, but I enjoyed the story and laughed that your dog ran into the wall. If you had a 45mm PO I'd donate a dial and hands to you.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
totally brutal, from victory to defeat in seconds.
i feel for ya.
gonna hit you up with some rep points for sharing this horror story.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Ouch...the hands aren't all that bad, but the hit on the dial is pretty bad. On the bright side, this would be a great excuse franken it (dial, hands) though! Wear it battle-scarred for a while and then pull the trigger!

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
laughing about your dog, but wincing at your dial. Sorry to hear this.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
save up for the gen dial and hands.. something to look forward to. I think we've all fubar'd something in our hobby one time or another.

bonecollector

Known Member
21/4/09
Honestly, even a black felt-tip marker would help. You could still see the chip, of course, but it would not jump out at you nearly as badly as white on a dark background.

SwissOmega

19/5/10
Honestly, even a black felt-tip marker would help. You could still see the chip, of course, but it would not jump out at you nearly as badly as white on a dark background.

Honestly that was my first thought as well, but the sharpie I have is far too blunt a tip, so I said screw it and closed it up.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
Sharpies are not a good idea for black touch up. The end up being far too glossy and you can really tell the fix up in certain lighting. Better still is flat black spray paint.

SwissOmega

19/5/10
Sharpies are not a good idea for black touch up. The end up being far too glossy and you can really tell the fix up in certain lighting. Better still is flat black spray paint.

Good to know and in that case glad my sharpie was too big.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Well, I'm in the "I screwed up my frickin' watch trying to remove a speck" club too (T4D YM / PAM 111). I definitely feel your pain!!!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Been there and done that. SO, email me. I have a couple of suggestions.

ck6459

11/9/10
Time to start a franken, replace the dial and hands with gen.
I'm thinking about doing mine so I may have spare hands and dial after the project.
Sadly my dial is the one with white numbers which is different from yours.