• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this Pinion Height Issue or Something Else?

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
This is on a Sub with an SW200 (2824). Hands are tiger. The minute hand is almost sitting on top of the hour hand. On my other ETA 2824 sub their is a small amount of clearance between the hands. Without pressing it to that position it just flops around. The pinion is the one that came on the movement - an H2 I believe. Do I need a H3 or is there another problem with the movement?

JTqOX.jpg

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The one and only pic is out of focus and marred by glare from electric lights.

But, the minute hand looks bent at the base, they also look like poor quality hands which would explain the poor fit.

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
Unfortunately I only have a cell phone to take pictures with so that was the best I could do. The hands are tiger concept (I think these are the only snowflake hands with the proper dimensions) and have been aged which is why they probably look messed up. The problem is the part circled in red is basically level with part the hour hand goes on. Does this mean I need a higher pinion (which I thought raised up all the hands) or is something broken.
JM0E5.jpg

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You need a taller minute hand pinion, as the hour hand looks very close to the dial already. If the watch is running then nothing is broken, you just need to change the minute hand pinion.