• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this "fake" RO 15400 actually genuine?!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi guys, I saw this watch in a thrift store jewellery cabinet and could not get it on my wrist quick enough! Sexiest understated watch I've ever seen, gorgeous actually.

Anyway the clerk said it was a fake but a really high end fake as he had seen a few come threw there before.

After some research I gots to thinking if the Royal Oak was so popular and produced in vast numbers over the years and such good reps around thesetdays, then perhaps a gen could slip through the cracks as it were...

https://imgur.com/gallery/LeE8Pfk

Do all the reps use the miyota movement? Are there any fakes that use something else or change date instantly like this does? and the crown operates as genuine?

The recessed hex screws appear to have a warm yellow glow in low light as seen in pics, so appear to be aging white gold, not steel...

Movement looks exact as genuine, and has correct orientation as opposed to miyota fakes...

Watch thickness looks to be under 10mm and no bulky back cover...

Logo on crown is correct orientation and well engraved, the finish on the inside of clasp looks genuine, ap logo on outside of clasp looks genuine, as opposed to worse engraving on fakes.

Can't seem to spot ANY flaws in the dial, printing, logo, taps, hands, DW etc...

Only thing odd is the 1220 printed on the bracelet is in a pretty basic font... I saw a gen that had a slightly fancier font, where the tops of the twos curl in abit more?

Thoughts people???? What is this frankenoak?

Thanks in advance :)

The watch you shown in the pic is a genuine 15400. The background is likely a home. You are well-versed in your breakdown of the 15400 features and tells and I can tell you’re not the typical genuine watch collector and you definitely know the tells of the typical replica 15400.
I do not know the purpose of your post but any jeweller shop selling this for A$90 is either run by an owner gone full-retard... or does not exist.
You can easily prank us further by arranging with a jeweller to put your gen 15400 in his shop and put any price tag you want on it.
If your post is one of barely veiled condescension and disdain for the rep watches and owners, or something you think of as a joke, you can stop here.
There are guys here who owns more and better AP gens and can put up more outrageous pranks than this.
But welcome to the forum anyway and have your fun while it lasts! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Where was this, Lifeline?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Guys

The OP is right. I just stepped out of the same junk store and scored this 15500 for about $49.95 after some hard bargaining.
I’ve no idea if it’s gen but it looks spot on compared with google pics.

06dc6e54e59076ac4eb151a5b4ac3d84.jpg

N0tail_

1/6/17
I am amazed at the quality of information and advice shared on this forum. During my lunch break at uni I decided to go through the lost and found box and ended up finding not just one, but seventeen watches! Inside the box was also the keys to a Lamborghini so I took that too!

Not too sure of the Lamborghini is real or not because the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

2iiu3vc.jpg

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
14/8/14
I call BS. How would this wind up a thrift shop for $50. Average schmuck would guess it was at least a few hundred if not thousand dollars based off looks alone.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I call BS. How would this wind up a thrift shop for $50. Average schmuck would guess it was at least a few hundred if not thousand dollars based off looks alone.

Guy just wishes to show off his gen 15400 while appearing innocuously ignorant about what it is.

Reactions: Allure

dullidulli

Certified
3/6/13
OP should trim his nails, looks disgusting. Also, BS.

That's exactly what I thought.
Filthy jeans, scruffy hands and fingers, dirty long nails, icky appearance over all.
Thus high probability that he reports a cock & bull story.
Should I be wrong, I do apologize to OP! But I don't think so.

Reactions: dat231

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Guys

The OP is right. I just stepped out of the same junk store and scored this 15500 for about $49.95 after some hard bargaining.
I’ve no idea if it’s gen but it looks spot on compared with google pics.

06dc6e54e59076ac4eb151a5b4ac3d84.jpg

Let me take that from you for $51. You welcome :)

Reactions: Champsy and legend

Janda

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/8/19
Hey guys been here there everywhere today... Called the Swiss watch shop in Melbourne CBD intending to check the serial number for stolen and the lady tells me they don't keep a register of that sort of thing, asked her boss if they could cross reference with AP or something and he mumbled something like no... I said considering their value I would have expected some sort of database and they were just like.. no...???? Bit surprised by that honestly.

Anyway from jewelers to jewelers I finally found a guy that knew watches, a younger bloke. Now.. he said it was fake... too much play in the bracelet (fake bracelet, that could be a cheaper repair option if you broke the clasp??) He shook it and said it sounded too rough, not heavy enough, and when I showed him the movement, he said every little price would have a st Bernard stamp(I call bullshit on this tho, when doing research last night I did see AP watches with that stamp and fakes without, but as far as I know that stamp is not on a 15400, and especially not every MINIATURE bit of the mechanism!) The bloke then goes on to tell me he can get me a replica of ANY watch for $500AUD! (That's half the price of what I see on here) and good enough that a watch repairer wouldn't know the differrence he said!

So then I get myself to an old Yugoslav bloke who repairs watches out of his home, the local cobbler in the plaza gave me his number. So we go down the workshop, he gets his loop out and looks it all over and says it's genuine, asked him like 3 times, he says definately a Swiss movement, i mentioned China and he says sarcastically "I doubt they'd stick a Swiss movement in a Chinese casing" anyway, next he wants to take two links out to make it fit me, and now the plot thickens!!!! The screws were incredibly tight, I've read this somewhere??? Last night on the forum I think in an older topic. So we tap the screwdriver with a hammer to loosen them and all good, out they come, links sorted and I'm out the door... He even said a guy brought one like this in for repair not long ago thinking it was real, and had to break it to him it's fake ... But for me it's other way round???

If it WAS genuine then both guys would have confirmed it don't you think? Unless the young bloke is full of shit, which is quite likely.

Last option now is to get into the city and hold a real one next to it, only then could I be sure...

Now onto the pics!!! I tried picr.me but wouldn't work for me so here's another Imgur link. I also got a photo of receipt for 89.99 Aussie dollars btw, that why I said $50 in your US money. Also pictured is the toy car I purchased at the same time for 5.99

And to many people's relief I did trim my nails today for the shots, before I'd even checked this thread, bwahaha
https://imgur.com/a/IpvsRKl

I've been shopping at op shops/thrift shops, tip shops etc for years, my girlfriend's best score was an tri colour opal pendant the size of a 50cent coin in a handmade 18ct gold frame, for $5!!! Been offered over $500 for that pendant. This place savers if a bigger chain and they inflate all their clothes prices more expensive than new clothes, it's rediculous, the hipster generation has driven the price of second hand goods through the roof, all so they can build a special shelf to display some rusty old farmers screwdriver and sit down and eat vegetables while discussing its history.

Updates will come tomorrow, with a side by side in the watch store maybe even!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hey guys been here there everywhere today... Called the Swiss watch shop in Melbourne CBD intending to check the serial number for stolen and the lady tells me they don't keep a register of that sort of thing, asked her boss if they could cross reference with AP or something and he mumbled something like no... I said considering their value I would have expected some sort of database and they were just like.. no...???? Bit surprised by that honestly.

Anyway from jewelers to jewelers I finally found a guy that knew watches, a younger bloke. Now.. he said it was fake... too much play in the bracelet (fake bracelet, that could be a cheaper repair option if you broke the clasp??) He shook it and said it sounded too rough, not heavy enough, and when I showed him the movement, he said every little price would have a st Bernard stamp(I call bullshit on this tho, when doing research last night I did see AP watches with that stamp and fakes without, but as far as I know that stamp is not on a 15400, and especially not every MINIATURE bit of the mechanism!) The bloke then goes on to tell me he can get me a replica of ANY watch for $500AUD! (That's half the price of what I see on here) and good enough that a watch repairer wouldn't know the differrence he said!

So then I get myself to an old Yugoslav bloke who repairs watches out of his home, the local cobbler in the plaza gave me his number. So we go down the workshop, he gets his loop out and looks it all over and says it's genuine, asked him like 3 times, he says definately a Swiss movement, i mentioned China and he says sarcastically "I doubt they'd stick a Swiss movement in a Chinese casing" anyway, next he wants to take two links out to make it fit me, and now the plot thickens!!!! The screws were incredibly tight, I've read this somewhere??? Last night on the forum I think in an older topic. So we tap the screwdriver with a hammer to loosen them and all good, out they come, links sorted and I'm out the door... He even said a guy brought one like this in for repair not long ago thinking it was real, and had to break it to him it's fake ... But for me it's other way round???

If it WAS genuine then both guys would have confirmed it don't you think? Unless the young bloke is full of shit, which is quite likely.

Last option now is to get into the city and hold a real one next to it, only then could I be sure...

Now onto the pics!!! I tried picr.me but wouldn't work for me so here's another Imgur link. I also got a photo of receipt for 89.99 Aussie dollars btw, that why I said $50 in your US money. Also pictured is the toy car I purchased at the same time for 5.99

And to many people's relief I did trim my nails today for the shots, before I'd even checked this thread, bwahaha
https://imgur.com/a/IpvsRKl

I've been shopping at op shops/thrift shops, tip shops etc for years, my girlfriend's best score was an tri colour opal pendant the size of a 50cent coin in a handmade 18ct gold frame, for $5!!! Been offered over $500 for that pendant. This place savers if a bigger chain and they inflate all their clothes prices more expensive than new clothes, it's rediculous, the hipster generation has driven the price of second hand goods through the roof, all so they can build a special shelf to display some rusty old farmers screwdriver and sit down and eat vegetables while discussing its history.

Updates will come tomorrow, with a side by side in the watch store maybe even!

LOL. Can we skip forward to the part where you found the matching papers and box in another thrift shop for $10 please?
And then the applauses and curtain falls.

Reactions: Allure and Champsy

Janda

8/8/19
Yeah joke all you want cunts, your the keyboard warriors who think it's real ????

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Could be real, could be wrong, anyway if it's legit good job you lucky B. :)

Janda

8/8/19
Trolled yourselves really, I came with questions because i don't know shit about watches let alone fakes, but I'm a quick learner obviously, and got a good deal since it's gotta be the best fake seen on the internet, and fooled a watch repairer like the young jewelers said his reps do. or it could be real, but the bracelet could be fake... I'll go check a real one out tomorow see if it has any dogos drawn on its movement(lmao) and get my answer.

Thanks everyone, and especially glad for the poster who found 7 watches in lost and found!!! What A score!