• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this a gen Daytona? Help me check please

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
With what you’re asking and the way you’re asking, it really sounds/seems like you are looking to call someone out.

if so, I wouldn’t. It just makes you look cheap and petty.

not too long ago there was a big issue where a person posted one on the Rolex forum and the members there pretty much lynched him and got him banned for what proved to be a gen.

they ripped apart the story of how he got it. They shredded details on the watch saying it was “obviously fake” and he turned up at the RSC with apologies from Rolex on small blemishes and everyone who called him out looked like an idiot and a dick.

moral of the story - there are 2. 1. It is getting difficult to tell esp with Daytona’s. And 2. don’t be an idiot or a dick.

why are you looking to determine whether someone else’s watch is genuine or not. And if not, trying to determine what factory and version?

there are many other stories I can tell you about authentications gone wrong.

just be aware, even if you get a consensus here, you can’t really be 100% sure of anything.

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Reactions: Tucker

Hazing

9/5/19
I'm pretty sure that the person wearing the watch is a she.

Yeah me too. That’s another reason that the op is kinda creeping me out with how desperately he wants to know details of the watch.

Hazing

9/5/19
ahahahah it's actually Asian wrist :p
I was going to say thst but I didn't want to give anyone ammunion to say it was a racist comment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
vGZGt.jpg

Is this gen or rep, and if it's rep what company is it from?

I will be very surprised if it's rep because it looks so much like gen to me

The hour markers look like they have good shape and the Daytona lettering is a correct shade of red. The only way to know any more is to examine the movement. Look for a regulating arm on the balance wheel.

But honestly if you're just trying to find some way to call someone out, you're petty as fuck.

Based on what you've shown me, I'd say its authentic.

Just goes to show that the replicas are holding Rolex to a high standard. Rolex will have to do something better than false scarcity going forward to retain their place.

Reactions: BOSSK

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
Calling them out would be such a dick move... but on a selfish note, If this is a rep, I want to know which factory because I’d be buying one in a second! :p

Reactions: d1nomite

Mullaar

Known Member
30/11/19
Take a look at the movement and everything will be clear or take the watch to a Rolex boutique and ask the guys there.

Hazing

9/5/19
The hour markers look like they have good shape and the Daytona lettering is a correct shade of red. The only way to know any more is to examine the movement. Look for a regulating arm on the balance wheel.

But honestly if you're just trying to find some way to call someone out, you're petty as fuck.

Based on what you've shown me, I'd say its authentic.

Just goes to show that the replicas are holding Rolex to a high standard. Rolex will have to do something better than false scarcity going forward to retain their place.

Every desirable Rolex model will still always sell at retail. Their brand is strong.

However, I am sure they’re developing anti counterfeiting measures that will take the Chinese factories years to replicate. There is a reason the Rolex factory (especially their R&D department and manufacturing... and well every aspect) has security that is beyond Fort Knox level security on a technical level. And the fact that reps are getting so good is exactly why we’ll see a chance soon imo.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start to see some in the next release ( what would have been 2020).

Imagine a new generation of the Rolex Submariner or Rolex Daytona that people can buy (for a few years) with zero worry of it being a replica? They will fly off the shelves and be in Extraordinary demand. Especially if they come out with something and announce it as a limited run (the way they did it with the rehaut engraving On just a few specific models and on specific materials at first). 3 years later every line had it in some form or another despite the fact that they still made some without it. But 2 years after that, every modern Rolex had it.

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Every desirable Rolex model will still always sell at retail. Their brand is strong.

However, I am sure they’re developing anti counterfeiting measures that will take the Chinese factories years to replicate. There is a reason the Rolex factory (especially their R&D department and manufacturing... and well every aspect) has security that is beyond Fort Knox level security on a technical level. And the fact that reps are getting so good is exactly why we’ll see a chance soon imo.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start to see some in the next release ( what would have been 2020).

Imagine a new generation of the Rolex Submariner or Rolex Daytona that people can buy (for a few years) with zero worry of it being a replica? They will fly off the shelves and be in Extraordinary demand. Especially if they come out with something and announce it as a limited run (the way they did it with the rehaut engraving On just a few specific models and on specific materials at first). 3 years later every line had it in some form or another despite the fact that they still made some without it. But 2 years after that, every modern Rolex had it.

Rolex already has one model that cannot be counterfeited and it's not the fastest selling model they have. The Sky Dweller.

They need to make features that are incredibly difficult to counterfeit and are useful. The Sky Dweller falls into that category. The chronergy escapement is on that level too.

Omega's 8800 movement and others are exactly that too. Magnetic resistance to 15000 Gauss is both difficult to counterfeit at a low cost and is extremely useful. That's how a luxury watch maker brings value to the table to their consumers.

And to be quite fair Rolex's level of finishing on hands and dial markers is incredibly difficult to counterfeit at a low cost.

My personal guess is that when a watch becomes 80-90% profit margin (45% goes to Rolex and 45% goes to the AD) or more then its going to be convincingly counterfeited.

Once a replica maker surpasses a certain level of skill they are going to go legitimate as well. Kind of like TC. He can sell his homage pieces for more than he could sell his replica pieces and he did surpass the level that Noob and ARF are at. I can also see ARF or Noob moving that way in the future. It seems that a replica maker will market a watch that costs 5% of the authentic price. And there are levels of quality that can be achieved at every price range. $500 reps are way better than $300 reps. If Sub's ever start to be common at 20K, then the reps will start to make $1000 pieces and at that price they're going to be excellent (the best Daytona reps are pretty darn good). So if the Submariner price continues to climb with no advance/change then the next generation of replica's will be even better. At 1K, I think the factories could produce a passable anti-reflective coating, round their hour markers, apply a better bezel insert plating, improve their date wheel print, and improve their crown tube and crown threading to feel silky smooth. They could maybe even make some more improvements to the 3135 clone. They'll never make a parachrom bleu hairspring but potentially a free sprung balance wheel. The VR 3135 that I bought has been keeping 5 seconds a day and a 46.5 hour power reserve.

And just adding anti-counterfeiting measures without any actual additional benefit to the end user is semi-hogwash. The reason the 4130 was cloned was the price of the watch had grown so high. If Noob could only expect to get $450 for the watch they would have never cloned the 4130 movement. I think there could be a market for a Noob 4130 Daytona at around $850 if they improve the dials and bezels. However, I also think that once a watch replica company can command ~$1000 per watch is when they exit the business and market legitimate homage watches. When are all of the patents on the 3135 going to expire?

Moral of the story if your watch can be convincingly cloned at $500, it's going to happen. Now if the watch was fetching $3K on the market, then consumers are just going to buy genuine and call it a day. This is why there aren't convincing Omega speedster clones. However, if it was fetching $10K people are going to look hard at the replica. And if it can actually be cloned convincingly for $500 then what exactly are your customers getting for their money?

Reactions: XLR8R

Hazing

9/5/19
Once a replica maker surpasses a certain level of skill they are going to go legitimate as well. Kind of like TC. He can sell his homage pieces for more than he could sell his replica pieces and he did surpass the level that Noob and ARF are at. I can also see ARF or Noob moving that way in the future. It seems that a replica maker will market a watch that costs 5% of the authentic price. And there are levels of quality that can be achieved at every price range. $500 reps are way better than $300 reps. If Sub's ever start to be common at 20K, then the reps will start to make $1000 pieces and at that price they're going to be excellent (the best Daytona reps are pretty darn good). So if the Submariner price continues to climb with no advance/change then the next generation of replica's will be even better. At 1K, I think the factories could produce a passable anti-reflective coating, round their hour markers, apply a better bezel insert plating, improve their date wheel print, and improve their crown tube and crown threading to feel silky smooth. They could maybe even make some more improvements to the 3135 clone. They'll never make a parachrom bleu hairspring but potentially a free sprung balance wheel. The VR 3135 that I bought has been keeping 5 seconds a day and a 46.5 hour power reserve.

that is how the Swiss got started making time pieces. They started off making counterfeit American made pocket watches in the 1800s and by the late 1800s they were making such high quality pieces, they just started making their own.

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
that is how the Swiss got started making time pieces. They started off making counterfeit American made pocket watches in the 1800s and by the late 1800s they were making such high quality pieces, they just started making their own.

Exactly. I'm glad you brought that up. Replica watches right now remind me of when the Kennedy's were still boot legging alcohol. They turned those profits into legitimacy eventually. So did the Swiss copy cat watches which were in fact replicas that misspelled names etc.