• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is there a Rep AP Safari with sunburst effect on chrono?

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
Is there a Rep AP Safari with sunburst effect on chrono?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is there even a gen with sunburst effect on the subdials? (Which I assume you’re referring to when you said chrono)
Can you show a pic to depict what you mean please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

spursian

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
I think he means the sheen seen in the subdials.
361aa3952153df47f30dfb5a28f6955b.jpg

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
yes absolutely the sunburst effect seen on the subdials.
Spursian is that a gen dial?
The gen has the "sunburst" effect ie the small ring texture. The reps I have seen only have a blank white color.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
yes absolutely the sunburst effect seen on the subdials.
Spursian is that a gen dial?
The gen has the "sunburst" effect ie the small ring texture. The reps I have seen only have a blank white color.

Oh ok yes I get it now.
Unfortunately the gen subdials and the rep ones are different.
The one shown above is a franken.
I have the gen here below
d0bf752271cf8592827aba0b10871069.jpg

I would not call the effect in the subdials a sunburst one but it has a uniform shine throughout. This is not always obvious in every lighting. The rep one is different but isn’t far off.

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
05subdialgen.jpg~original

05subdialrep.jpg~original

Here in the sticky thread of AP Gen Vs Rep comparison.

Gen have concentric circles (from the milling?) on the subdials where the rep just have painted subdials.
This makes a sunbursed effect on the gen subdial and the rep just look shiny.

I was just wondering if there is a rep today that DO make have this "concentric circles/ sunburst" on the subdials or if this is just exclusive to the gen inserts?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Super nice Gen btw! :)

Thank you.
When in this hobby one must learn to accept the differences between gen and rep. To be honest I have no knowledge if the rep subdials have concentric circles or not. But this is a detail which is apparent only upon close examination.
Even for >99% of AP frankens, they are not perfect, even with gen dial and hands. So if you are after a rep safari, you need to manage your expectations accordingly.

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
Thank you.
When in this hobby one must learn to accept the differences between gen and rep. To be honest I have no knowledge if the rep subdials have concentric circles or not. But this is a detail which is apparent only upon close examination.
Even for >99% of AP frankens, they are not perfect, even with gen dial and hands. So if you are after a rep safari, you need to manage your expectations accordingly.

I understand this. Im not keen on the Rep dial, thus I purchased a Gen of eBay. this dial has the "sunburst" effect on the subdials. I have not seen a rep dial that has this. However a rep Safari posted for sale was depicted with the "sunburst subdials" but was not listed with any Gen parts so this made me a bit confused. So I just wanted to ask if I had missed something that infect there was a Rep Safari dial where they did have this effect? (and also this was the one thing I thought I could rely on when determining if I was sold a gen dial or not).

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
:)

here is the post.. so what I can gather the only Gen part is the Hornback and OP suggests the watch might be a Noob.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...oo-classic-safari-on-hktan-gen-hornback-strap

My Gen Tachy and Dial.. sorry for the low quality pic that's all I have on me at the moment.
k9sPjCc

link: https://imgur.com/k9sPjCc

There are two different watches in the thread you showed. The first one shows a very old Noob with seconds @9. The movement is a Sec@9 movement and not a Sec@12.
The second set of pictures show a Noob sec@12 movement watch. The sec@9 dial has the wrong subdial positions vs gen.

Your gen dial and tachy will not fit on either watch properly without mods. Yes you can put a gen safari dial and tachy on a sec@12 movement watch, but the date will be aligned to the right as the datewheel positions are different on the gen and the A7750 sec@12.

So do share your intentions, and we can help you get on track now, rather than thousands of dollars and a lot of wasted time later.

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
My intentions is for a Franken Safari.

So far I have the following for my build..

- Gen Dial (I hope!?)
- Gen Tachy
https://imgur.com/k9sPjCc

- LWO 283 NOS watch movement. ETA2892 + Dubois Depraz module
https://imgur.com/SdvdPYt
https://imgur.com/nky7q0F

- Canon Pinion and Wheel
- Micky Hands and Date wheel

I think the only thing Im missing now is the Donar watch?
And then case modification to fit the movement?

Does this sound about right or am I missing anything?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
My intentions is for a Franken Safari.

So far I have the following for my build..

- Gen Dial (I hope!?)
- Gen Tachy
https://imgur.com/k9sPjCc

- LWO 283 NOS watch movement. ETA2892 + Dubois Depraz module
https://imgur.com/SdvdPYt
https://imgur.com/nky7q0F

- Canon Pinion and Wheel
- Micky Hands and Date wheel

I think the only thing Im missing now is the Donar watch?
And then case modification to fit the movement?

Does this sound about right or am I missing anything?

Yes you are mostly right, but be prepared for the long and arduous journey of building an AP franken.

If you compare your safari dial to mine, yours seem to be missing the black lume and the indices seem to be filled with gloss black paint instead. I can be wrong about that, as it is not a clear picture. I think that the H series dial comes with black luminova on the markers, and the G series does not. I do not remember details about this, please have it checked if it concerns you.

You are correct about the list of parts, and work to be done. However the case work to refill the original crown position and then drill the lower crown position, thin the case, fabricate the movement holder etc are all very intricate work and it is something you need a lot of patience (and money) for.
All the best for your project and do keep us updated!

Last edited:

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
There are two different watches in the thread you showed. The first one shows a very old Noob with seconds @9. The movement is a Sec@9 movement and not a Sec@12.
The second set of pictures show a Noob sec@12 movement watch. The sec@9 dial has the wrong subdial positions vs gen.

Your gen dial and tachy will not fit on either watch properly without mods. Yes you can put a gen safari dial and tachy on a sec@12 movement watch, but the date will be aligned to the right as the datewheel positions are different on the gen and the A7750 sec@12.

So do share your intentions, and we can help you get on track now, rather than thousands of dollars and a lot of wasted time later.

If the case was reshaped and done would it be a big task to make the mods to the movement, change od date wheel, pinion etc ..install dial hands and tachy?
Im considering to have a crack at it myself. (I have never opened a watch in my life, I understand I would need to do my research and buy a few tools etc..) but you think this would be doable?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
If the case was reshaped and done would it be a big task to make the mods to the movement, change od date wheel, pinion etc ..install dial hands and tachy?
Im considering to have a crack at it myself. (I have never opened a watch in my life, I understand I would need to do my research and buy a few tools etc..) but you think this would be doable?

Well, its a tricky question to answer. It will depend on your skills of course. It is easy to mess it up trust me.
You need a movement holder for the LWO movement to fit it into whatever case you choose.
So the answer is that it is doable yes. But the question is whether you are up to the task. I have no knowledge of your experience or capability in this area, so it is something which only you can answer.

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
Well, its a tricky question to answer. It will depend on your skills of course. It is easy to mess it up trust me.
You need a movement holder for the LWO movement to fit it into whatever case you choose.
So the answer is that it is doable yes. But the question is whether you are up to the task. I have no knowledge of your experience or capability in this area, so it is something which only you can answer.

yeah Im scared too lol
But I'm also scared of sending all my parts and getting taken or running into problems with customs etc. It would really suck to loose everything now.
Regarding movement holder, this is a holder that holds the movement inside of the case?
Where do you get these from, I haven't seen or heard about this actually?
Are there any know step by step instructions on how to change the date wheel and canon pinion for a Franken? :)

Regarding lume.. I was under the impression that the safari had no lume at all?

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes I understand the customs issue. It can be terrifying in fact but it’s a risk most franken owners take unless you happen to be based in the same country as the owners.

Yes you do need a movement holder to literally hold the movement in place in the case.

As for instructions on changing or modifying the pinion it is best you consult a modder who is willing to share such information with you.

I may have mixed up my safari with my panda, I own both gens but haven’t worn them in years. Will take the safari out and see if it has lume on the markers haha. The panda definitely does.

If you’re based in Europe I’ll advise you to send your watch to domi instead of trying to get it done yourself.

Dondada

Known Member
3/9/17
Yes I understand the customs issue. It can be terrifying in fact but it’s a risk most franken owners take unless you happen to be based in the same country as the owners.

Yes you do need a movement holder to literally hold the movement in place in the case.

As for instructions on changing or modifying the pinion it is best you consult a modder who is willing to share such information with you.

I may have mixed up my safari with my panda, I own both gens but haven’t worn them in years. Will take the safari out and see if it has lume on the markers haha. The panda definitely does.

If you’re based in Europe I’ll advise you to send your watch to domi instead of trying to get it done yourself.

Thats two lovely watches!
I would love to send to Domi but he has personally told me he will not ship or receive from OZ where I am located.
Do you know at all where to get hold of a movement holder, never even seen them posted or sold I don't think?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thats two lovely watches!
I would love to send to Domi but he has personally told me he will not ship or receive from OZ where I am located.
Do you know at all where to get hold of a movement holder, never even seen them posted or sold I don't think?

They are all custom made. I have a couple of them.