• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is the rep movement TOO smooth to be real on the PO?

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
thelawnmowerman said:
This has cropped up in threads before, I think the gen moves 5 or 6 a second and the rep goes at 8 , it is noticable , but no one would IMHO call it out , only a fellow member or rep collector would ever see it.

7 bps, 3.5 hz compared to 8, 4 hz. the reps move 4 times a second, 8 beats, but only 4 back and forth movemetns (aka ticks)

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
@pepsiaddict: Some of the IWC gens run at 36000bph. Or 10 ticks per sec. Almost to smooth to see.

Ultimate smooth would be a Seiko spring drive. Completly smooth, all around!

pepsiaddict

Horology Curious
17/3/07
Really, in a Seiko? I'll have to check that out.

P.S: is that Christina Ricci in your avatar? [smilie=love4.gif]

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
yep and some AP Royal Oak models beats at 19,800 much slower but certainly not a reflection of quality or price.. :)

finisterre

Looking Around
12/2/07
I must admit I love my PO Ultimate so much that I have considered upgrading to a gen. It'd be a shame if it's not as smooth. Might even put me off the idea altogether.

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
I remember last summer a thread tackling this issue when the 28,000 bph watches started showing up:

members did say that this made the reps work too smooth, too good and eve beyond the gens....

This was not a huge issue back... some even said gens should follow the example of the reps and go "smooth" especially when you think how much one pays for a gen... :?:

Z3k0

Renowned Member
2/1/07
Croatia
coop said:
@pepsiaddict: Some of the IWC gens run at 36000bph. Or 10 ticks per sec. Almost to smooth to see.

Ultimate smooth would be a Seiko spring drive. Completly smooth, all around!

And of course, Zenith El Primero and all its variants (e.g. Tag Caliber 36) runs at 36000. And then there is Tag Caliber 360 which runs at 360000, but its chrono only movement, albeit a high precision one - up to a 1/100 of a second ...

bye,

Ivan