• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is the rep movement TOO smooth to be real on the PO?

pepsiaddict

Horology Curious
17/3/07
So I walked in my local jewelry store to look at the POs and to my surprise, the second hand was definitely noticeably ticking, not the completely smooth motion I had expected. I asked the AD about that and he mentioned that it only beats at 25,200 BPH to get better power reserve. I went home and did some research which confirmed this. Wouldn't the Swiss ETA with 28,800 BPH be noticeably smoother than the gen? I'm now thinking the "Ultimate PO" isn't so ultimate. Also, I read a lot of posts about the quality of these PO replicas lacking, things breaking, etc... is it that people are only posting if they have a complaint, or are these things almost expected when you buy a rep?

Wyvern

13/4/06
I've had my ultimate PO for about 4 months and wear it as my daily beater and haven't had a problems. I've had almost no problems with any of the reps that I have bought in the last couple years (over 20). Only two with any real problems and they were fixed easily enough. I would spend some more time poking through the forums and remember that you always here about things going wrong, but rarely see posts that say, had my watch for a year now and still going strong.

therebel

Renowned Member
10/1/07
I've purchased probably 30-50 (dont' want to count) including the ultimate and I've had zero problems. Maybe I'm lucky but so far so good. Most every dealer you find here will replace your watch no questions asked if you do have a problem anyway.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
in my opinion the ultimate PO is incredible for the money....and very high quality....chose the one with a swiss made ETA movement....what should go wrong ?
a hellot of watch for the money...you dont even get the leather gen strap for the cost of the rep....i have had a seamaster rep with swiss 2824 for 4 years...and abused it....never got serviced, keeps excellent time....once the bezel inlay fell off.....and i carefully glued it back on with 2 component metal glue...
awesome watch.....and i would never buy the gen for 6 times the price !

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
If your issue is the power reserve, the 2482-2 has a power reserve around 40-42 hours.
The 2892-A2 in the Gen. has a power reserve of 48 hours. Not too much more.

CISO1969

I'm Pretty Popular
26/8/06
I think part of what he is asking is if the rep runs smoother than the gen--isnt that a dead giveaway too?

Personally I like Swiss movement reps and cant wait to plop that spare link in my PO bracelet and wear this bad boy!

CISO

LegendofSpeed

4/5/06
I've been told that the second hand on the PO is a little jerky.... not a lot... but more so than the ETA movement in the rep....

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
The few I've seen in the AD's have the same ticking as the ultimate po I have from josh...

not bad i think...

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
they found a slower beat rate worked better with the coaxial.

more power reserve is a byproduct.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well. You are correct. It's ticking at slower beat rate than ETA2824-2. For 200USD or less, you are getting a lot for that amount of money (PO Ultimate). I have myself a 4th gen PO which is more than 1 years old. Ticking strong... I don't see any occasions the watch being called out as fake too.

thelawnmowerman

Renowned Member
2/4/06
This has cropped up in threads before, I think the gen moves 5 or 6 a second and the rep goes at 8 , it is noticable , but no one would IMHO call it out , only a fellow member or rep collector would ever see it.

pepsiaddict

Horology Curious
17/3/07
I must admit I haven't seen too many wound-up automatics in person, but I really expected to see a smoothly sweeping second hand, and that's not what I saw on the genuine PO. As far as I know 28,800 BPH is the highest BPH in an automatic watch, so I'm thinking if that's a smooth enough movement to be very smooth, I personally would notice a difference between a genuine PO and a replica which would run smoother.

drhydro

23/3/06
Smoothly sweeping hand on a PO.... have I got a plan!
Right now I'm figgering how to swap an Omega F300 tuning fork movement into one of my 45mm PO's- hands will fit, dial will need some jiggering, movement holder ring will need some hoggin'oout, and date wheel will need an overlay- but I'm gonna do it!

Now THAT will be a smoooooth second hand.... :shock:

pepsiaddict

Horology Curious
17/3/07
I think people are not getting that I'm saying the replica hand is SMOOTHER than the genuine. The genuine is jerky.

LegendofSpeed

4/5/06
No... most of us are with you pepsiaddict... it is true that the rep will have a little smoother second hand than the gen... I think though that the consensus is that no one is going to say, "wow, your second hand is too smooth, it must be fake".... anyone who can spot that out will have already determined it isn't legit by that time anyways...

The ultimate 45mm PO is an impressive watch.... it's just got a feel to it that makes it believable as a gen...

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
pepsiaddict said:
So I walked in my local jewelry store to look at the POs and to my surprise, the second hand was definitely noticeably ticking, not the completely smooth motion I had expected. I asked the AD about that and he mentioned that it only beats at 25,200 BPH to get better power reserve. I went home and did some research which confirmed this. Wouldn't the Swiss ETA with 28,800 BPH be noticeably smoother than the gen? I'm now thinking the "Ultimate PO" isn't so ultimate. Also, I read a lot of posts about the quality of these PO replicas lacking, things breaking, etc... is it that people are only posting if they have a complaint, or are these things almost expected when you buy a rep?

like you heard many many times.....every rep have their own flaws and u.PO is no exception.

You are also right about the different beat on movement....
iRep: 28,800bhp ~8 tick per second
Gen: 25,200bhp ~7 tick per second

but if this really turn you off to get the U.PO then I have nothing to say...
I think only Superman and Batman can tell the different in naked eye.

pepsiaddict

Horology Curious
17/3/07
I'm not saying it's turning me off to the watch completely, I just hadn't heard anyone make this argument before. I plan on ordering the Ultimate this week. It sounds like this is a great watch. Does anyone have a dealer recommendation for this particular piece? I know Andrew and Josh sell it, and I was leaning towards ordering it from Josh.