• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is lume important to you?

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
It´s real fun to read how opinions on this are so divided. I´m from the lume-and toolwatch-division for fun and for practical reasons. Checking time instantly in a split second on the wrist and not somewhere else is something of a reflex, includes while driving or at night.
That´s why I prioritize good readability over beauty, except for special circumstances.
A time-telling device which can´t tell me the time for 34% of the day (without using additional equipment/electricity) is less useful in several occasions simply because of this fact.
It´s related to being independent/prepared (for the unexpected), probably comes from travelling to remote corners far off the grid with failing generators. Obviously I also sleep with the watch on where it belongs, otherwise would have to look/ grab for it - everything else would feel strange.
Funny how we people are different, to each his own.
Am I the only one that thinks its funny that this came from a guy named "Day Watch". Lol.

Ok everyone carry in!

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Not that anyone cares but I could give 2 shits about lume. Just me!

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
loonier.jpg

gazumi

Renowned Member
21/8/08
Lume is useful for when I need to check how long I've been on the crapper in the dark in the middle of the night. Oh wait, I'm usually surfing the web on my phone while sitting on the crapper in the dark at night and it has a clock.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Tommy, my point was, be prepared for unexpected issues once you start a quest of this sort.

I'm not blaming anyone or saying it's not worth it. ;)

Somebody disassembles and reassembles your watch. That can be more eventful than the application of luminescent paint. I had a frustrating experience of this sort. I had to replace the movement and matte the dial after the work was done, but at least the lume was strong. Just sayin'

glock26

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/11
at first I really didnt care until I got something with awesome lume. I was usto my luminox being the only watch that glows the whole night(and all day for that matter) but a super lumed watch will also glow all night long. My exp2 is wicked bright and I can see what time it is any time of night. When I get in bed you can see it glow through one of the sheets. Even the wife was impressed.

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
You don't have the clock on your dashboard? Seriously? Update your car. 34% of the day is NIGHT, unless you're moonwalker.

Clock on my dashboard, phone in my pocket, clock on my nightstand etc. By this logic I why should I wear a watch at all? Cause I enjoy it and personally I enjoy it a lot more when I'm able to see it in the dark.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
I think lume is a complete waste and stupid. I've even taken my gen watches, delumed them and applied white paint.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I think lume is a complete waste and stupid. I've even taken my gen watches, delumed them and applied white paint.

Delumed. That's what I'm talking about. Vintage.

What about the new, faux vintage markers? Aren't they painted with the color of, like, a manilla folder? I think that color is in fashion, but I may be wrong about that.

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
Just curious how many people find lume an important factor when purchasing a watch? even if the dial is not accurate (not counting messed up\faulty dials =p) but the lume is amazing you would take it?

5_zps47a0d40c.jpeg

courtesy of mr cwazy =D

Wait a minute, blue???

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Lume is very important to me in certain circumstances. PAMs must have decent lume or I'm out. I mainly buy from M2M and I try and find watches that are already relumed or superlumed. I'm waiting for my first relume to come back but the only reason I did it was because it needed to go out for service and I wasn't going to have it for a while so why not kill two birds with one stone.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
It's pretty cool when you walk into a dark pub from outside and your wrist is glowing like a nuke but that's about it. Superlume has no other practical purpose for me in everyday life. In winter when I wear long sleeved clothing my watch lume hardly ever gets charged when I'm out and about.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
It's pretty cool when you walk into a dark pub from outside and your wrist is glowing like a nuke but that's about it. Superlume has no other practical purpose for me in everyday life. In winter when I wear long sleeved clothing my watch lume hardly ever gets charged when I'm out and about.

Hahaha. I find half of my dial gets charged because of my sleeve line lol