• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it recommended you service a new CF DD3285 Batgirl?

Arsenal43

Horology Curious
Supporter
Certified
7/6/23
Alabama
What is the general feeling, is it needed or not needed? There isn’t anything wrong with the watch. I was thinking of sending it off for a deep crystal instal and just wasn’t sure what’s recommended with these watches. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: Maxx496

GE206032880

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
29/4/23
Los Angeles
What is the general feeling, is it needed or not needed? There isn’t anything wrong with the watch. I was thinking of sending it off for a deep crystal instal and just wasn’t sure what’s recommended with these watches. Any advice would be appreciated.
I asked the same question of a senior member ( who I have purchased from). his consensus on the 3285 was that :
- “ glass is fine as is - but up to you if you want to go the extra mile.
- fix the pinion
- water proof is all you need

FYI I just followed his lead, purchased the GMT (Pepsi oyster bracelet) and had Ctimes watch-smith make the above changes, including the crystal, and I also included a custom blue dial prior to sending.

got QC today on the original pepsi ( prior to modifications) - but no word on when it will be complete.

Reactions: Arsenal43

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area

Movements are generally dirty and not well oiled from China.
I am not sure what the fix of “pinion” is…that doesn’t make any sense. Unless that means tighten the canon pinion.

It’s highly recommended you get it cleaned and assembled properly.
Although, a service can cost nearly as much as the watch, so that’s up to you if you want to spend the money.

Keep in mind, these reps are not nearly the quality of gens.

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Certified
17/4/17
If you plan on keeping the watch, definitely get it serviced. Otherwise you will end up replacing rep parts with gen and that will only cost you more.

rxdr

Horology Curious
10/6/23
Germany
I never service my reps unless there is a problem. I don’t see the point why I should spend money upfront for a rep that’s running fine

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Certified
17/4/17
I never service my reps unless there is a problem. I don’t see the point why I should spend money upfront for a rep that’s running fine
Do you do the same thing with your car engine? Why service it every 10k miles if it's still running.

mcboom

time & patience - the two most powerful warriors
Supporter
Certified
12/1/23
Thailand
Has anyone compared the DD3285 before and after swapping to a deep crystal?

Raazod44

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/23
France
waiting for a problem can end up costing more than maintaining it regularly

TheSilentSinger

I shall sing you the song of my people
Supporter
Certified
31/5/22
Maple leaves and beavers
The other 2 things that caught my eye on the DD3285 are:
- Font of the Date wheel look oddly massive compared to Gen
- The border of the hands surrounding the lume looks thicker than Gen (look at the Mercedes hand for example and see how tiny the arrow end is compared to Gen)

Having said that, those are minor details that are hard to spot from afar unless you stared at it and have a Gen right next to it to compare.

Reactions: Maxx496

Raazod44

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/23
France
- The border of the hands surrounding the lume looks thicker than Gen (look at the Mercedes hand for example and see how tiny the arrow end is compared to Gen)

Having said that, those are minor details that are hard to spot from afar unless you stared at it and have a Gen right next to it to compare.
in my opinion you have to have the two side by side to see the differences but a quick glance will fool everyone

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Unless you don't want to keep that rep for a longer period, otherwise having it for a full service is always beneficial since the assembling workshops in China are horrible, you'll never know what extra "bonuses" are there inside your watch case.

Churdock95

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/3/22
Spain
Im currently waiting for some QC of a Clean Batgirl with the DD3285 movement and thinking of servicing it because i want to keep the watch with me, also want to said that i bought a new VSF DJ 3235 movement 1 year ago and is working like the first day, but struggling if some of yoy know a watchsmith on my city(Madrid) anyone knows? Regards folks

ihavedrainbamage

5/4/23
USA
Mine showed up with issues out of the box. The crown is difficult to screw/unscrew when the watch is fully wound because the watch continues to wind after disengaging position 1. I’ve also heard of issues with the screw holding the rotor in failing. These could just be the growing pains of a new movement, but if you aren’t gonna service it I’d at least open the caseback and give it a quick look over.

RPierce84

Supporter
Certified
18/3/23
IA
I'm of the school of thought that if it's running fine, why bother? But I ALWAYS take the case back off and give it a once over.

Reactions: mcboom

ihavedrainbamage

5/4/23
USA
Mine showed up with issues out of the box. The crown is difficult to screw/unscrew when the watch is fully wound because the watch continues to wind after disengaging position 1. I’ve also heard of issues with the screw holding the rotor in failing. These could just be the growing pains of a new movement, but if you aren’t gonna service it I’d at least open the caseback and give it a quick look over.
Posting this here in hopes that it helps someone else out down the road - there was just a bunch of crap gunking up my crown threads. Took an old electric toothbrush to it and now it threads in and out much better than before, no service required. Still not quite VSF quality, but at least it's operable now. There's still a metallic creaking that you can feel and hear when getting the crown in and out of the case (which is why I thought the watch was still being wound), but I'm assuming that this has something to do with the spring. Annoying but tolerable.

Reactions: Rolorin and mcboom

Maxx496

Life's too short for bs
21/3/24

That's all no issue friend after all it is replica you forgot, not everything is the same as Gen. Minor things should be ignored and watch enjoyed and reokuca appreciated