• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is BP still making the best 16600 Sea Dweller?

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Interesting. I don't know much about that movement. How is the SA3135 for reliability? Is this the one that people are modding with other watches to use gen date wheels and gen hands, gen dials, replacing various movement parts with gen movement parts, or is that only the Yuki you can do that with?

The SA is the one you can’t interchange parts of the movement itself, I think. But you Can install Gen Dial hands on to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howitzer

19/7/17
UK
The advice I’ve seen suggests avoiding the SA3135 as it is unreliable and very difficult to source spares (and won’t accept gen parts either). I’ve ordered an A2824 version and will post pics when it arrives...

Reactions: haesch and stufuse

haesch

Known Member
19/7/17
My first was with SA3135 and the stem was broken after about 6 month. It was really hard to get a new stem from a TD.

So i ordered a new watch with A2824 and the TD searched a stem for the broken one.

After i got the stem, i had to find out that the movement was totaly broken.

The A2824 is a solid good rep out of the box.

I hope i could help you with your decision.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr and stufuse

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
My first was with SA3135 and the stem was broken after about 6 month. It was really hard to get a new stem from a TD.

So i ordered a new watch with A2824 and the TD searched a stem for the broken one.

After i got the stem, i had to find out that the movement was totaly broken.

The A2824 is a solid good rep out of the box.

I hope i could help you with your decision.

I’m going to have a serviced SH installed

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
1bf105a2c7d160122b18f282d94fa4f2.jpg
Gen Dial arrived this morning

Flaskevin

Known Member
31/3/15
Just OTOB some days ago

Oooh, I'm so tempted to get this. I just bought a 214270 two weeks ago, and had decided to give it a rest. But here I am again....

May I ask you a couple of questions?

1. How's the lume on this one (this batch)?
2. Is it engraved between the lugs?
3. I don't plan on making any mods, but I see that many choose to get a replacement/gen bezel insert. What's the problem with the rep insert?

(Maybe I could find the answers on one of the 833 pages at the other thread, but I gave up after reading 200 of them ;-) )

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Oooh, I'm so tempted to get this. I just bought a 214270 two weeks ago, and had decided to give it a rest. But here I am again....

May I ask you a couple of questions?

1. How's the lume on this one (this batch)?
2. Is it engraved between the lugs?
3. I don't plan on making any mods, but I see that many choose to get a replacement/gen bezel insert. What's the problem with the rep insert?

(Maybe I could find the answers on one of the 833 pages at the other thread, but I gave up after reading 200 of them ;-) )

Your questions are welcomed ;)

About 1 and 2 ... I don't have it on my wrist so I can't answer specifically but this evening I'll try to take a lumeshot (lume is great) and I'll remove bracelet and caseback to check the engravements (and post some pics too).

About 3 ... looks good enough to me for a 2000/2005ish 16660, though the fonts seem a little thick.
Here's a comparison pic with a 2000's Gen (I just noticed that the date is the same ... 20th)
If I drill the lugs and swap for "SWISS - T<25" dial I'll try to source a Gen insert with serif and a "flat 4" ... but I love that one so much that I'll probably keep it as is and order another one to modd it.

Flaskevin

Known Member
31/3/15
Your questions are welcomed ;)

About 1 and 2 ... I don't have it on my wrist so I can't answer specifically but this evening I'll try to take a lumeshot (lume is great) and I'll remove bracelet and caseback to check the engravements (and post some pics too).

About 3 ... looks good enough to me for a 2000/2005ish 16660, though the fonts seem a little thick.
Here's a comparison pic with a 2000's Gen (I just noticed that the date is the same ... 20th)
If I drill the lugs and swap for "SWISS - T<25" dial I'll try to source a Gen insert with serif and a "flat 4" ... but I love that one so much that I'll probably keep it as is and order another one to modd it.

Thanks, mate, that's very generous and nice of you :)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks, mate, that's very generous and nice of you :)

You're welcome buddy :) and here are the pics

MODEL @ 6:00 ... it's a T one so no drilled lugs

SERIAL NUMBER @ 12:00 ... circa 2007

CASEBACK INSIDE ... so so

LUME SHOT

LUME SHOT ... lume is much better than on that pic (the watch was in my watchbox)

Reactions: d4v3

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
just arrived and very happy but...bracelet and clasp seems very cheap. This is my first 5 digit and i know the links are different from the last model but... what do you think about? I think to change with this one:https://puretime.io/accessories/watc...ine-watch.html
May be a good idea or not worth the cost?
Regards

I checked on mine and the lugs are different from the 16610 ones so I don't think you can swap the whole bracelet.
Perhaps you can swap the clasp only but I didn't checked that ... but $108 for a clasp swap is not worth the cost IMHO

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
It always amazes me how this particular model has the most replied thread of the RWI, wich makes it IMO the most popular rep watch, undoubtfully one of the best out of the box rolex replica watch, a very impressive achievement if you think that this model came up few years ago, I think there a 2 or 3 videos of gen owners "complaning" about how hard is to tell f it was a rep without opening the case (lol) I should franken mine just because of that, with the new daytona its getting not too much time wrist.

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
You're welcome buddy :) and here are the pics

MODEL @ 6:00 ... it's a T one so no drilled lugs

SERIAL NUMBER @ 12:00 ... circa 2007

CASEBACK INSIDE ... so so

LUME SHOT

LUME SHOT ... lume is much better than on that pic (the watch was in my watchbox)

Thanks for the pics. What are the case back (outer engravings) like, I read when they first revised this version, people complained that the engravings got worse? Not that it’s that important to me or that I’d notice really just something over read.

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
just arrived and very happy but...bracelet and clasp seems very cheap. This is my first 5 digit and i know the links are different from the last model but... what do you think about? I think to change with this one:https://puretime.io/accessories/wat...et-jf-1-1-best-edition-fit-genuine-watch.html
May be a good idea or not worth the cost?
Regards

Don’t bother. I don’t think it’ll fit and all hollow link bracelets feel cheap, even the Gen ones did.

Post some picture of the watch!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for the pics. What are the case back (outer engravings) like, I read when they first revised this version, people complained that the engravings got worse? Not that it’s that important to me or that I’d notice really just something over read.

Here are 2 pics of the outer engravings on mine and 1 pic of a Gen 16600 ... IMHO those on the rep look really nice when compared

About the inside engravings they are not so bad in fact.
At first I've been surprised to see the "2200" in place of "16600" but I've checked on the web and found many Gen 16600 casebacks, period 2008-2009, with the same engravings (it seems that all "ploizia di stato" have those engravings).
Here is 1 example but if you search you'll find plenty.

GEN circa 2008

BPSD (mine)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
So ... let's sum up about that watch

Model : 16600 ... not 16660 but still a SD (problem is that now I MUST order another one to build an early 16660 ;))
Year : circa 2008-2009
Dial : great
Insert : great
Engravings : not that bad though they could be better
My opinion : I'm really happy :cool:

And 1 last pic below, comparison between the BPSD I received from Sead1999 and a 2008 Gen 16600.

1 - DIAL
Great !!! apart from the date window that could be a little larger on the left (that would help the date to be centered)
Even minute marker between "SWISS" and "MADE" that I thought was a little too long compared to other Gen dials but it seems the 2008 Gen dials had the same
Some of you already know ... I'm a daredevil :p
So as I have a spare dial I will really think about what I could do to enlarge the date window about 1/4mm to the left ... story to be written before being told

2 - BEZEL & INSERT
Great too ... really great in fact
Close inspection could show flaws but ... now even the numbers do not look that thick anymore

3 - CROWN
A little too thin IMHO so I could think about a swap ... in the future

4 - HANDS
Hmmm ... I should rework that hour hand to enlarge the lume and make the metal parts thinner

5 - CASEBACK
I wont be picky so it's definitely OK for me

6 - CONCLUSION
Get one of those as soon as you can :p I really don't think BP would stop producing that model as they sell tons of it (quoting Sead1999 here) but who knows

Flaskevin

Known Member
31/3/15
So ... let's sum up about that watch

Model : 16600 ... not 16660 but still a SD (problem is that now I MUST order another one to build an early 16660 ;))
Year : circa 2008-2009
Dial : great
Insert : great
Engravings : not that bad though they could be better
My opinion : I'm really happy :cool:

And 1 last pic below, comparison between the BPSD I received from Sead1999 and a 2008 Gen 16600.

1 - DIAL
Great !!! apart from the date window that could be a little larger on the left (that would help the date to be centered)
Even minute marker between "SWISS" and "MADE" that I thought was a little too long compared to other Gen dials but it seems the 2008 Gen dials had the same
Some of you already know ... I'm a daredevil :p
So as I have a spare dial I will really think about what I could do to enlarge the date window about 1/4mm to the left ... story to be written before being told

2 - BEZEL & INSERT
Great too ... really great in fact
Close inspection could show flaws but ... now even the numbers do not look that thick anymore

3 - CROWN
A little too thin IMHO so I could think about a swap ... in the future

4 - HANDS
Hmmm ... I should rework that hour hand to enlarge the lume and make the metal parts thinner

5 - CASEBACK
I wont be picky so it's definitely OK for me

6 - CONCLUSION
Get one of those as soon as you can :p I really don't think BP would stop producing that model as they sell tons of it (quoting Sead1999 here) but who knows

Damn, I couldn't resist it any more! Order placed 5 minutes ago :D

(Thanks for pics and notes) :punk:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Damn, I couldn't resist it any more! Order placed 5 minutes ago :D

(Thanks for pics and notes) :punk:
Please note that I'm not responsible if you're disappointed ;)
But you will happy with that watch, really nice rep and the A2842-2 showed a really good PR (stopped after 45 hours in my watch case).

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited: