• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I went off Tag for about 15 years untill now .. Aquaracer 500 M Comparison Pics

M4ttl4ne

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/11/10
wow! im sold on this one!
your right mate, growing up in the uk during the 90's Tag became quite uncool but its more recent offerings IMO are fantastic

D

d4m.test

Hi, UKASIA!

I have the gen of this, but quartz with blue dial; without going to the bedroom to look at it, I'd say the first pic is the gen; in the other pics, I think the one on the right is the gen. If I'm wrong, then THAT's a compliment to you and your dealer for offering an EXCELLENT rep. I wonder if any of our Trusteds carry such an exquisite rep of a fine, rugged watch?

dave

bryanhayn

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
MULTI ACCOUNT
30/11/09
I own this rep and studied the differences at a Tag dealer. The rep's Tag Heuer shield/logo thingy is glossy and the real version is matte. Also, the rubber on the rep's bezel isn't flush with the metal. And of course the rep's bracelet isn't finished as well as the real version. That's it! Overall it's a very accurate rep.

UKASIA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
UPDATE ... How has it stood the test of time !!

Having worn this rep in rotation with the original and as part of my own curiosity of how it will stand up to real life I thought it good to report the following.

The movement :

I have established it is a SW200 clone made by seagull or rather a 2824 clone with one extra Jewel made by sea gull. It has been adjusted after I wore it for a week and it has flawlessly kept about + 3 second a day and it is still in that range. The original after adjustment has kept about + 5 a day so really no complaints about either "engine "fitted .

The Bracelet.

The original has been flawless in every way , but the rep has had to have the catch posts repaired and the two pins in the catch assembly replaced ( they both fell out ) . The pins of the links are also working loose ( not good ) and I had to repair those too . The rep watch and bracelet also gets much dirtier much quicker, that would suggest it is of a much lower grade SS and I have to wash it every day to keep it looking good .
My guess is it is no more 316L than I am, but it has not gone rusty so it is SS. What I do find interesting is when you wash it is smells of metal as if you are in a metal workshop handling metal .. This is the only watch I have that does this . It actually smells like fresh steel each time you wash it with or without some soap. Truly weird

The watch:

The original has retained its "bright "well made look but sadly the rep has dulled down to a large degree . My original pictures show very little difference but now anyone could tell which is which , and easily when side by side .It has just got very very dull, the hands, the indices , the face and the date wheel it has all just got dull .. I might add it really does not show when standing alone but side by side .. .Its like a different watch .

The Bezel

Once again the original flawless and the rep has stood up well not a scratch or mark but one of the "glued "in nut metal heads on the top of the bezel fell out ( as luck would have it when I was typing so I found it ) a bit of super glue and all is good now . The color is a tad lighter than the original but only a tad , so it still looks good.

The Crystal.

Gen 100% perfect , the rep once again not a scratch but it has dulled down and just does not seems as clear . I have cleaned it inside and out but like the hands and the rest of it it has just dulled down

Overall

It has stood up well it looks a little tired and works with precision many of my original watches don't achieve, but sadly its not as durable as the original and after nearly a year the quality compromise is beginning to show when compared to the gen .

It cost ten times less and that is clear to anyone that looks now but in my world I still wear it and enjoy it and after all whats wrong with that

Kal Vilmer

24/1/11
Great follow up

Can you do a 1 year later pictorial?

Great 1 year review!
I find your observation on the grade of stainless steel used these watches very interesting.
I don't think i've ever read anything like this before.

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
They really did a great job on this rep! I hope the same factory will do the new 500M Chrono soon, that's the one I want to see repped.

Oh, yes! The chrono version would be awesome.

I own this rep, and I can say it's VERY accurate since I took my to an AD to compare the two side by side. Another flaw is that the rep has a glossy Tag Heuer logo and the genuine has a matte logo. Also, with mine, the rubber in the bezel was sunken a bit below the metal part, while the genuine had its rubber flush with the metal.

I own this rep and studied the differences at a Tag dealer. The rep's Tag Heuer shield/logo thingy is glossy and the real version is matte. Also, the rubber on the rep's bezel isn't flush with the metal. And of course the rep's bracelet isn't finished as well as the real version. That's it! Overall it's a very accurate rep.

The logo is THE tell of the watch IMO. The logo in the replica is incorrectly coloured (shiny) and shaped (the G letter is all wrong), but most importantly, it is ugly and spoils an otherwise very good replica.

i like this watch, but the difference in font spacing of the 500M drives me absolutely mental when i look at it!

To each his own. I couldn't care less about this issue, but I must confess that I didn't know of it until reading this thread.

Most importantly, though, the replica is a great watch in spite of its flaws.

Let's hope the chrono version is released soon!

ratpatrolteam01

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/12/10
do you guys think this is the best rep out of all Tag reps that has been released so far?