• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hypothetical scenario

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
So let's say you buy a watch on M2M and it's listed with no warranty. The watch comes in and is DOA the second you pull it out of the box. This is no fault of the seller and most likely happened during shipping. Seller has been top notch the whole way through the transaction. Is it inappropriate to ask for some portion of the cost refunded or do you just take it on the chin and move on? I mean it did say now warranty right? Thoughts anyone?

bronica

Advisor
Advisor
6/5/12
Most sellers are happy to resolve a DOA problem with the buyer, most commonly splitting the price of the repair bill. Unfortunately, sh*t does happen beyond our control and it is neither the sellers/buyers fault so it is fair that both put in to solve the issue. Even when we get a watch shipped DOA from a TD, it usually is the same process. Either we split a repair bill or we ship it back to them out of our own pocket.

Anyway, if you guys ever had an issue revolving a problem such as this, remember to post in the Helpdesk. That's what we're here for! :)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Well, no warranty doesnt mean a dead watch....unless that is what you knew you getting.

If it was running when you got it, then thats a different story.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Thanks guys yea that's kinda what I was thinking too. Yea I get it that stuff happens and I don't expect a full refund I was thinking half of what I lost would be fair but I didn't want to sound like an A hole. I know for a fact it was running when the seller shipped it or at least when he listed it because the seconds hand is in a different spot then where it's frozen now and I have no reason to doubt the seller he's been a standup guy. I hope he and I can resolve this so that both of us are happy.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
If it was mine , and i sold it to you and was DOA, i would be kicking back some $$$.
I would expect the same from others if it was me buying..

Thats how we roll.........

jai04

19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
Just my thoughts, if it is listed as "no warranty" and it arrived DOA, the seller has no obligation to send some cash back for repairs or partial refunds, as we all know, a lot can happen during shipping (given that it is working before shipping). It is however, in my opinion, as a sign of good spirit and faith, and as a courtesy, that the seller has to do so. As [MENTION=42327]Raddave[/MENTION] said, if that happened to me, I would be sending some cash back.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Just my thoughts, if it is listed as "no warranty" and it arrived DOA, the seller has no obligation to send some cash back for repairs or partial refunds, as we all know, a lot can happen during shipping (given that it is working before shipping). It is however, in my opinion, as a sign of good spirit and faith, and as a courtesy, that the seller has to do so. As @Raddave said, if that happened to me, I would be sending some cash back.

Right, no obligation, but doing what is right is what makes this community so great !

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Yea I've done it before myself. I just wanted to make sure before asking for anything that it wasn't to forward. If the seller refuses I don't think I'll open a help desk ticket but it would be nice if he did. I mean this isn't a $100 watch.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
If hes a standup guy you wont have any issues

Good luck Bro !

jai04

19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
Right, no obligation, but doing what is right is what makes this community so great !

100% agreed.

Yea I've done it before myself. I just wanted to make sure before asking for anything that it wasn't to forward. If the seller refuses I don't think I'll open a help desk ticket but it would be nice if he did. I mean this isn't a $100 watch

It's not too forward at all mate. It's all within the spirit of this good community.

bRONX

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/13
i think it comes down to the person, not for nothing but you have people here who sometimes knowingly list a problem watch as problem free

the only way post office damage can happen is if it isnt properly wrapped or if it accidently gets stepped on

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I don't think I've ever sold a watch that I didn't guarantee it to be working on arrival and offer full money back if you're not satisfied. So far never it's never been a problem.

And I would never buy a watch that the seller said he didn't guarantee anything after it left his greedy little paws. Why would you buy from them when a TD will guarantee both delivery and that the watch will work when it arrives. And it'll be brand new.

Ruski91

12/10/12
+ 1 for everything said above. I thankfully have never had that problem as a seller (knock on wood) but if it were to happen to me, i would do whatever i could to help fix the situation. I think in a perfect world, the buyer and seller would split repair cost which for the most part (depending on movement) run 80-150 right? so its not such a big hit from either side.

I would contact the seller and be like ... hey bud, you have been a standup seller which i appreciate, so i wanted to run something by you. I know your sold the watch with no warranty but it arrived DOA. I know this could have happened during shipping, but i wanted to suggest an option for us to split repair costs. I got a quote from so and so who is a great trusted repair person on the forum. Let me know if this would work for you or if you have any other suggestions.

I think that is what i would do in your shoes as a buyer. As a seller, if I got that message, i would gladly help out the buyer to make the deal right for all parties involved. Yes we both spend a little extra, but it would be fair.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
I sold something outside a few months back and faced a similar situation but it was a problem with the chrono function. I felt bad knowing I sold something that didn't work 100% and my fault for not testing it first so I gave a refund without issue. Now I always test before shipping AND I take a tagged video too so I can show it was all good before it left my hands. Only time I've refused a refund was when a buyer reported a cosmetic defect 4 weeks after receiving the watch. I would deal with each case on its merits but at the end of the day I value my integrity on this and other forums enough to make an effort to work with the buyer to resolve an problem.

rocketdogbert

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
11/10/13
Uk
Pretty much what everyone else has said, either as a buyer or seller I'd want to split the repair bill

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Well there won't be a repair bill. The watch is sold as a dead watch for peanuts and I ordered a brand new one from toro today so I'm in just hoping to recoup some of what was lost.

gingerr6

31/8/14
I would ask for the watch back. If there was no visable signs of damage and it was in the same condition as when I shipped it I would refund. Just my 2 cents worth :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fiveostang

6/11/12
I would ask for the watch back. If there was no visable signs of damage and it was in the same condition as when I shipped it I would refund. Just my 2 cents worth :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What makes me nervous about that is that I'm then out the watch and the money if the other member decides he's not gonna refund or what if it gets held up in customs going into Germany

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
What makes me nervous about that is that I'm then out the watch and the money if the other member decides he's not gonna refund or what if it gets held up in customs going into Germany

CONUS ONLY! Solves a lot of problems.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
CONUS ONLY! Solves a lot of problems.

True that. I have a feeling this situation isn't gonna work out so well judging by the response I got. You win some you lose some I guess.