• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hublot Big Bang King - SS

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Following are pictures of my Hublot Big Bang King. It's the "lite" version, meaning it's all stainless steel. The more expensive model, $750+, was supposedly plated with platinum :roll: .

This is a big watch: 47mm x 18mm. (Maybe 16mm thick.) It's powered by an Asian 7750, stripped of the chrono gears. Why use the 7750? I believe it was the best fit, size-wise, for the case.

This was purchased from Super Mirrors. It arrived from China, not the US, with a very loud rotor that might be heard spinning for 10-12 seconds after certain arm movements. I complained and he had me open the case. I removed, then reinstalled the rotor. Didn't help. The watch went back to Sead and he installed a new movement. The rotor is still noisy but much improved. I paid $270, shipped.

BBK%20006.jpg

The second hand is very interesting, with its contrasting red color against the black matte dial. Because of the size of the arrowhead, the sweep is more noticeable than that on watches with straight, thin second hands.

BBK%20007.jpg

The deployment clasp is very well made and snaps shut with a solid click. Too bad my wrist is a between-size for the available holes. One setting is usually too tight and results in gouge marks on my wrist while the next size larger lets the watch flop around a bit too much for my liking (considering the watch's size). I wonder if holes could be drilled in the rubber strap? I saw RC42 attach a metal bracelet on a Hublot, a bracelet he took off a Vac. Overseas.

BBK%20011.jpg

Pulling out the crown and adjusting the time leaves me feeling like something's not quite hooked up exactly in side. Manual winding can make a grinding sound. :(

BBK%20009.jpg

It is the best luming watch I own, better than the Picot. All the hands, hour markers, and pearl lume equally well and, with a proper charge under the reading lamp, the time can be easily read throughout the night.

I'd resisted trying out a Hublot until this King came along. Now I'm interested in others.

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
Have you got any movement shots of this the ones I have seen seem to have a very basic movement in them with plastic holder

MEYER8888

Renowned Member
19/9/07
thanks for your rewiew, what is the conclusion for this nice model???
lite is worth?
or better buy expensive models?
sylvain

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
MEYER8888 said:
thanks for your rewiew, what is the conclusion for this nice model???
lite is worth?
or better buy expensive models?
sylvain

There isn't any "White Gold" or "Platinum" plating on ANY rep, it's b.s. from some dealers, just a friendly FYI. :)

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
guanaco said:
There isn't any "White Gold" or "Platinum" plating on ANY rep, it's b.s. from some dealers, just a friendly FYI. :)
I'm afraid I'll probably have to agree with you here. This one is the way to go, IMO.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
AllergyDoc said:
guanaco said:
I'm afraid I'll probably have to agree with you here. This one is the way to go, IMO.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing. ;)

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
This is the only Hublot I'd ever consider buying. I really dig it.
And now that they have come down to almost a realistic figure... :twisted:

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Time4Direct said:
Have you got any movement shots of this the ones I have seen seem to have a very basic movement in them with plastic holder

Looks metal to me. Is it supposed to say "Titanium"?

BBK%20013.jpg

BBK%20017.jpg

Anyone see some kind of regulator on the movement? It runs about 2 minutes slow.

Some other shots someone requested (from further away => less distortion):

BBK%20018.jpg

BBK%20020.jpg

The more I look, the better the AR job is. It's very difficult to see the crystal.

BBK%20023.jpg

pugpapa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/6/08
Very nice watch! I have one on the way from Super Mirrors!!!

I'm looking forward to receiving it this week.

pp

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
pugpapa said:

pp
What's your biggest watch now? Don't you have a 44mm PAM? This one's 47mm.

pugpapa

3/6/08
AllergyDoc said:
pugpapa said:

pp

I actually have a 55mm Invicta Leviathan Automatic Diver that weighs about 1lb. This has to be the biggest watch I own at this time! 8)

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
pugpapa said:
I actually have a 55mm Invicta Leviathan Automatic Diver that weighs about 1lb. This has to be the biggest watch I own at this time! 8)
:shock:

No kidding? This is nothing, then.

Dave123 says this BB King is the best Hublot. He should know, he's bought several that were $700+.

upod1mm

22/11/08
how smooth is the second hand on a face that big? is it pretty twitchy?

ggarland22

21/10/08
pugpapa said:
AllergyDoc said:
pugpapa said:

pp

wow, that's massive. I'd need a wrist the size of mine X2, to wear it properly.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
upod1mm said:
how smooth is the second hand on a face that big? is it pretty twitchy?
It's 28,000 bph but as the second hand is to big, its movement is more noticeable.