• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to wind a new watch?

r4808n

Looking Around
29/3/14
I recently bought a PAM 297 rep with a 7750 movement and when it arrived it was running. I set the time and all was right with the world. It sat overnight last night and today it was not keeping time (seconds hand is stuck at 47 seconds). When I pull the crown out to the first stop it controls the GMT hand, when I pull it out to the second stop it sets the time. Probably a totally silly, newb question, but how does one go about actually winding the watch to get it started? Any help appreciated for a watch rookie. :) Thanks!

D

d4m.test

Hi and welcome. For winding You simply push the cg lever open and in that position wind slowly forward. Lets say the 0 position. Might want to raise it to Your ear to hear what´s happening, I don´t wind more than 20 times.
The 7750 I don´t like to wind generally as the movement is a bit sensible. If the rotor is not well greased or somewhat stiff You end up not winding and just forcing/ overstraining the gears that´s why I said to put it up to the ear. (This may be happening)
What I do is take it and gently start shaking it like a whisky glass or holding it in front of You left/right like turning a mini driving wheel. It should start up that way and if You keep it on the wrist no need to wind.
Maybe first time it needs an additional push some minor slab into the palm of the hand to start up. Nice watch, hope this is clear and helps.

r4808n

Looking Around
29/3/14
Thanks for the quick response Daywatch. I tried winding it that way as you mention, should the crown wheel be clicking when I do that? Also tried tapping it on my hand and that seemed to start it back up for a few seconds ... Only 30 then stopped again. Bad watch maybe, or maybe I'm overlooking something. Thanks again!

D

d4m.test

Hi again, maybe try to push the crown out and in again, than close the cg- lever to start the watch. After 1 or 2 max 4-5 shakes the small seconds hand should already be running (ok, I shake them a lot more when they haven´t been used to give them some wind but it should start right away). Is the seconds hand maybe touching either the dial or the glass - could be stuck. Does the watch tick when holding to Your ear or is it silent? Is the minute hand moving if You wait 5 minutes and just the seconds not running?

If this doesn´t work You have to contact the TD. Option will be to return it to China and wait or to have it serviced locally and get a discount on next purchase. If You search there where some threads on that today and yesterday (DOA dead on arrival) on what best to do and to contact whom. Just wish You it starts up this time, good luck

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
Don't wind 7750s - read up on this movement prone to being an excellent fishing sinker