• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to send watches from the UK after Brexit

Minome

Supporter
Certified
19/3/23
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Need some help please.
Can anyone explain the proper procedure (and safe for both the seller and buyer) to send watches from the UK to EU/WW after Brexit?
Is there any form to fill out? Suggestions about descriptions and price?

Maybe someone else asked this (i couldnt find it).

Thank you in advance

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Use the Royal Mail online service, and (if possible) select the opiton to get the package picked up and the postie to bring the labels (so you don’t even have to print them). That makes the process ultra simple.

Even if you don’t/can’t do it online, I would always use Royal Mail. It’s the only service I’ve used for domestic and international rep/gen shipping over the last 4-5 years, and I’ve had zero issues.

You’ll need to fill in a customs declaration to stick on the package with the address label (if you do it online for collection, the postie will bring the pre-printed one too). Describe it as “watch parts” or “watch for parts/repair” and a lowish value £25/30.

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Watch repair is a good description. You can even put a note inside stating the watch is not keeping time well etc, please fix - just in case they open the package.

I haven't sent any watches but I've received a few from Europe and the first one I got the seller did this. So if I deal with a seller who doesn't have experience of sending outside of Europe I usually advise them to do this. So far so good.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I am also uber careful when making payments too ..................

I have bought quite a lot recently, on one occasion the bank stopped the payment reported to me scam, I knew it wasn't and insisted they allow the transaction, the bank employee then asked what I was buying ............

I resisted the temptation to tell her it was my fuckin' money and i'll buy what the hell I like with it, and so, knowing how these officious arse holes work, it just rolled off my tongue , "Well since you ask it is scale model radio controlled car kit for my grandsons Birthday present"

Another one that I personally find offensive is when using Pay-Pal F&F, I get asked what the reason for payment is, I now put "settlement of A/c" !!.

I'm putting this here for the benefit of noobies, because if you aren't careful, nor used to buying / selling rep items, it is easy for someone less seasoned in the art of blaggery to slip up and say something un-mentionable like Rol Watch rep etc etc which could very well land everyone concerned in a pile of steaming Shit ;)

Last edited:

t.m.m

Known Member
Certified
10/11/23
Nuremberg, Germany
the bank stopped the payment reported to me scam

It happened to me twice that the bank classified a reported payment as questionable. The recipient had to confirm the payment each time and once required additional information.

It's probably a thing of the current dystopian times that banks no longer know who they actually serve.

I was a project manager for banks 20 years ago, at a time when banks were switching to central data centers; before that, they all had their own servers. I now believe that this is the reason for our problems, because algorithms can filter out special payments. A switch to crypto is certainly advisable here.

Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
God no.

The day everyone switches to paying for M2M deals in crypto is the day I bow out of the rep game.

Me too, in UK at least purchasing without fear of getting a new arse ripped is simple to control it all yourself ...........

Just open a basic Bank Account and leave £5.00 in it, then each time ya purchase can transfer the funds from yer millions in Current A/c and either pay via Visa card for the basic a/c, or Bank Transfer from the app, or even use it by registering it on yer PayPal, sod all that crypto / wise etc etc etc ;)

Worst case scenario is yer fiver gets nicked if something dodgy goes on wiv the sellers payment handlers etc :ROFLMAO:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
...or just carry on doing PP F&F (with members you trust).

I know it goes against the strong advice of RWI, but again I've been doing it for years here without a single problem to date.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
or just carry on doing PP F&F (with members you trust).

Oh, yes always do with M2M and UK TD.

Since I spread my "buying wings" a bit I've started purchasing certain less mainstream pieces that weren't available from RWI TD's or M2M.

So far just 2 pieces, one from DHG, and the other from a dealer who I used before I joined RWI last year ..........

So, since I'm wearing my big boy pants lol, I know the risks, don't have an issue risking a few hunnerid squids if I've seen pieces that others don't want to supply and I want to buy, that's why I set up my own funding bank account to pay for them, it's just way easier to buy this way for me ;)

Reactions: t.m.m

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I will never understand why those informations are published in a public forum where everey customs agent and goverment and gen factory can look in. If YOU know how to declarate, THEY now what to check.

Sorry but thats dumb in my opinion.

• Love

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I will never understand why those informations are published in a public forum where everey customs agent and goverment and gen factory can look in.
This presupposes that a) any customs agent is in the slightest bit interested in doing any homework (I have a sneaking suspicion that the percentage of customs employees with that sort of diligence is vanishingly low) and b) that there's any significant percentage chance that the one customs agent who can be bothered to do some homework reading this post is also the one who happens to decide to check the declaration on your rep package.

• Love

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
This presupposes that a) any customs agent is in the slightest bit interested in doing any homework (I have a sneaking suspicion that the percentage of customs employees with that sort of diligence is vanishingly low) and b) that there's any significant percentage chance that the one customs agent who can be bothered to do some homework reading this post is also the one who happens to decide to check the declaration on your rep package.
Its not bout the agents, the follow the instructions. Its about them who make the instructions.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Its not bout the agents, the follow the instructions. Its about them who make the instructions.
Fair enough, but I'm still unconvinced that anything we discuss here is very likely to filter out in a way that would impact us. I mean, have you ever tried Google searching for a thread on a specific subject discussed on RWI..?
:ROFLMAO:

• Love

Genta2014

Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Any good experience with international carriers like USPS from the UK to Europe ?