• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to remove bezel Raffles sub case?

Tictac789

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
31/8/23
Hello,

I'm wondering how I can remove the bezel in a Raffles sub case I just bought.
I would like to age the insert and if I can make it without removing the insert from the bezel, I would be happier.
It can sound like a stupid question but I already destroyed a AliX subcase before.
Is it possible to remove the bezel without destroying the case?

Thank you for your help!

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
@Tictac789 I don't know if you have the expertise, but my recommendation is to remove the movement, remove the crystal and then
With a exacto knife remove the bezel Insert you don't need to remove the bezel, this is the easiest way in my opinion, This is the way I've done it many times but Lets hear if someone come with a better solution.
To remove the bezel insert with the exacto Knife, be patient and careful !
Good Luck

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
But I don't recommend you to remove the whole bezel, that's only for people with vast experience !

Reactions: Tictac789

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
You need to use a thin razor blade to pry off the insert and expose the circle spring.
Use some painter tape to protect the insert

Then you use a small screwdriver to remove the spring from the ridge

The rest will come apart

The other way to do this is to remove the mvt and push out the crystal. Then remove the insert from the bottom

Last edited:

Tictac789

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
31/8/23
Thank you for your answers.
I'll remove the insert with an X-acto. It seems to definitely be the easiest way.
I didn't want to order a new double sided adhesive but no choice.

Thank you for help!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thank you for your answers.
I'll remove the insert with an X-acto. It seems to definitely be the easiest way.
I didn't want to order a new double sided adhesive but no choice.

Thank you for help!
additional tips
When you put the painter tape to protect the insert, cut it at the insert edge using a toothpick

Approach the knife at right angles from the top using the thinnest tip. Push it in 1-2 mm, then slide it underneath, and go around

Have the toothpick or a guitar pick handy, once you made the blade do a 360, use the pick to leverage the insert out

Reactions: Slugger

tbandy

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
USA
Did you checked the video ?
I think that works, after you do your work you can use this to glue the insert back
This is what I am using and works perfect.
You can buy it at Amazon, ebay and many others

Reactions: VixLa3

JohnMB

Do not accept unsolicited offers
14/8/24
Indonesia
You have to remove the bezel insert first. Just fill a small dish with WD40, enough to submerge the bezel and let it sit for an hour or so. Take it out and carefully check if the bezel is loose. Chances are it will fall out. If it's not loose give it a longer soak. Once the insert is out you can see the bezel retaining spring in the gap between the bezel and the case. Look for the end of the spring and carefully ease the circular spring out.
Once you've aged your bezel it's very easy to put everything back.
Bezel adhesive rings are easy to replace the bezel or if not cut up some rings of double sided tape. Make sure they are only stuck on the bezel and not overlapping onto the case. Job done. Personally I'm not keen on glue because if you want to change the bezel insert again it will be much harder to get it off.
I have done this to 4 or 5 watches and the double tapes works really well. They watches have been in the shower, in the sea and I've yet to lose one yet. Just make sure all residue from the WD 40 is gone before you restock the insert.

Reactions: Iksander

Raymond

Getting To Know The Place
Patron
Certified
12/8/24
You have to remove the bezel insert first. Just fill a small dish with WD40, enough to submerge the bezel and let it sit for an hour or so. Take it out and carefully check if the bezel is loose. Chances are it will fall out. If it's not loose give it a longer soak. Once the insert is out you can see the bezel retaining spring in the gap between the bezel and the case. Look for the end of the spring and carefully ease the circular spring out.
Once you've aged your bezel it's very easy to put everything back.
Bezel adhesive rings are easy to replace the bezel or if not cut up some rings of double sided tape. Make sure they are only stuck on the bezel and not overlapping onto the case. Job done. Personally I'm not keen on glue because if you want to change the bezel insert again it will be much harder to get it off.
I have done this to 4 or 5 watches and the double tapes works really well. They watches have been in the shower, in the sea and I've yet to lose one yet. Just make sure all residue from the WD 40 is gone before you restock the insert.
Do you know if the clean factory submariner has tape on the bezel or snap in ,just got it a few days ago.

Raymond

Getting To Know The Place
Patron
Certified
12/8/24
When you say 'clean factory submariner' do you mean an original Rolex case?
I bought a watch that came from the clean factory from andiot watch trusted dealer

VixLa3

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
21/11/23
EU
additional tips
When you put the painter tape to protect the insert, cut it at the insert edge using a toothpick

Approach the knife at right angles from the top using the thinnest tip. Push it in 1-2 mm, then slide it underneath, and go around

Have the toothpick or a guitar pick handy, once you made the blade do a 360, use the pick to leverage the insert out

Thanks @Karbon74 , I had never thought about a guitar pick (I still have thousands of them packed away :ROFLMAO: ),

Always a pleasure to read you.

EDIT: I forgot, I got some stickers to fix the insert on Alix, haven't tried yet, I have doubts about how thick they are, but they are there and they cost practically nothing, it's worth trying.

Last edited: