• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

how to open rep lex?

UFUKNUT

Known Member
3/2/09
do i need a special tool to open the daytonas? like the gen rolex case opener? are they screwed on or just closed with presure? just curious... thanks!

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

The gen rolex case opener is indeed a useful tool for it.
...all the Rolex reps have screw-down casebacks, and if they are closed properly you won´t be able to open them easily.

The thing is, some are just screwed with their hands, so the "rubber ball" trick will open then, but It´s not a 100% rule. Get any tool for screwed waterproof casebacks on the bay and you´re good to go..
The gen rolex case opener is good to open the case very easily and making NO-scratches on it, as it fits perfectly on the caseback, not letting the tool slip and scratch the watch while being opened or closed.

Cheers,
Spirit.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I used to use the handheld model but I have switched to the standup vice type.

UFUKNUT

Known Member
3/2/09
thanks! what kind (hand held) fakemaster? i saw that rubber ball on ebay but i wasnt too sure about it, since i've never seen it or heard about. but then again i just started to get into watches since i found this site :) 1 more question if you dont mind, do the reps have those o-ring seals in the case back?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
You can see what it looks like here. http://www.ofrei.com/page557.html

I would get the Bergeon brand if you want to make sure there is no variance in the fit.

They should have an oring. There is no guarantee of course. Either way you want to toss the one that comes in it because they suck.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Yep, they have the o-ring seals, and they need to be silicon greased to assure water resistance, and then, closed properly with a proper tool.
...It´s safer for the watch that way.

Cheers,
Spirit.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
I use the wall rubber fastener and it is pretty useful and fast. Just stick it on and turn counter clockwise and it will come right out! :)

UFUKNUT

Known Member
3/2/09
Spirit said:

Yep, they have the o-ring seals, and they need to be silicon greased to assure water resistance, and then, closed properly with a proper tool.
...It´s safer for the watch that way.

Cheers,
Spirit.
who can do that service? i want to buy a nice rep and have it serviced so i can work at its best but im kinda scared to do it myself...

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06
alviando said:
I use the wall rubber fastener and it is pretty useful and fast. Just stick it on and turn counter clockwise and it will come right out! :)

But as I said, you´ll not be able to use that on 100% watches, and it also doesn´t assure water resistance to the watches.

...to be water resistant, the caseback must be closed with a proper tool (without fastening it TOO much, or you can damage the gasket) But it needs to be tight. All of my watches are silicon greased and closed with a proper tool, and once closed with proper tools, there´s NO way you can open them up with wall rubbers, balls, or whatever other than a watch caseback opener.

I wash my watches under current water, with soap, every time before taking them to the watchbox, for years now, and never had any problem, with any of my watches, since they´re properly closed/sealed. :)

@ UFUKNUT:
I usually do that on the local I buy my reps, since they offer that service for me, and I can see them doing that in front of me. It´s a standard here. (I buy my watches on local nearby stores, (CN stores) and I always ask for water sealing on my watches.

It´s not a difficult task, and you can do it yourself, if you have the proper tools and are careful =)

Cheers,
Spirit.

UFUKNUT

Known Member
3/2/09
hmm thanks for the info. yea i know there no 100% guarantee withs reps, but would be nice for them to have some nice water resistant. i dont even swim with gens bulovas.. but i do wash my hands often at work... thats why i ask.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
There can be if it's done right. That's why you need the proper tool.

Would you buy a Rolex if their ads said this:

ROLEX: SEALED WITH THE BEST RUBBER BALLS MONEY CAN BUY

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Has anyone got a tip on how to open up a SeaDweller DeepSea?

I have the bergeon type case opener set (6 dies and a t-bar), also a Bergeon rubber tipped opener tool, aswell the Jaxa tool - but none of them are able to open the DeepSea's extra large caseback.

Its definately on too tight for sticky balls or the duct-tape method.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

One of these should do the job, for the DEEPSEA and all bigger watches, as you can do some milimetrical adjustment to fit any caseback...

jaxa.jpg

Funny that what I see the chinese dealers using around the small stores here, is this cheapo here (which, BTW, is a chinese caseback opener)
watchopenerb.jpg

ux_a08062000ux0054_ux_c.jpg

:D
Cheers,
Spirit.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
The first picture, the Jaxa-type is what I have. I couldnt get the thing to stay on??

UFUKNUT

Known Member
3/2/09
fakemaster said:
There can be if it's done right. That's why you need the proper tool.

Would you buy a Rolex if their ads said this:

ROLEX: SEALED WITH THE BEST RUBBER BALLS MONEY CAN BUY

if it sealed it right and was somewhat water resistant i would buy 1, saves me the trouble