• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How OCD is a three month interval maintenance log?

Theatrix

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Patron
Certified
12/2/18
USA
Maybe it's the early hour and my caffeine hasn't fully kicked in yet, but I find myself considering the notion of creating a maintenance log for my entire watch collection. I typically rotate through each watch in my collection around 2-3 times a month, sometimes even more frequently. It strikes me that implementing a routine maintenance schedule couldn't hurt, could it? Checking and logging for accuracy on a timegraph, inspecting the bracelets for any issues, regulating if needed, and conducting a general assessment of wear and tear, especially on plated watches. Is this just a case of having too much time on my hands, or does it sound like a sensible idea?

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
If gen, I understand

But it's a replica.... wear it and enjoy it, you can buy a new VSF sub every year and it'll still take you 20 years of this to even come close to the cost of a real Submariner

Also, because you have a collection, accuracy matters even less, you wear the watch for 2-3 days and then put it in the box, so unless the watch is losing like 1 minute a day it's not impactful

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
It's approximately this OCD:
KyZR8i.jpeg

Grapeshot

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
10/3/18
Wales, UK
I’m not sure that I would keep up that level of scrutiny but if you enjoy doing it then why not. Personally I just keep a catalogue of my watches in a spreadsheet. I record where and when I bought it, from whom, how much I paid, any mods or services performed etc. I find this handy if I need/want to sell one on. I then have the complete history, but taking it down to a three monthly check would be too much for me and I’m not sure what advantage I’d get from it.

Reactions: Dave2302 and Itto

Theatrix

Patron
Certified
12/2/18
USA
If gen, I understand

But it's a replica.... wear it and enjoy it, you can buy a new VSF sub every year and it'll still take you 20 years of this to even come close to the cost of a real Submariner

Also, because you have a collection, accuracy matters even less, you wear the watch for 2-3 days and then put it in the box, so unless the watch is losing like 1 minute a day it's not impactful
I'm inclined to push back on this idea for several reasons. I don't think I own a replica watch that hasn't received additional investments of time and money, such as modifications and plating. While these investments may not be substantial, they do amount to several thousands of dollars in each of my watches. Each watch has evolved into something unique and personal to me, despite technically remaining replicas. It's as if they've gained a more intimate significance. Maintenance just seems to be logical in attempting to extend their life span. I guess this might boil down to the question of whether it's an OCD tendency...still open to that possibility. :)

• Love
Reactions: Dave2302

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
I'm inclined to push back on this idea for several reasons. I don't think I own a replica watch that hasn't received additional investments of time and money, such as modifications and plating. While these investments may not be substantial, they do amount to several thousands of dollars in each of my watches. Each watch has evolved into something unique and personal to me, despite technically remaining replicas. It's as if they've gained a more intimate significance. Maintenance just seems to be logical in attempting to extend their life span. I guess this might boil down to the question of whether it's an OCD tendency...still open to that possibility. :)
if you want to extend life span then service all of them and forget about it until it breaks, you can't predict when a watch will break or how it will break

wear the watches, don't let them wear you

but it's up to you at the end of the day

i have a 30 watch collection and i couldn't fathom how much time i'd spend doing something like this

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I’m not sure that I would keep up that level of scrutiny but if you enjoy doing it then why not. Personally I just keep a catalogue of my watches in a spreadsheet. I record where and when I bought it, from whom, how much I paid, any mods or services performed etc. I find this handy if I need/want to sell one on. I then have the complete history, but taking it down to a three monthly check would be too much for me and I’m not sure what advantage I’d get from it.
I do the same...it's going to be way too hard in 5 years to remember all those details, especially any modifications done to the watch.

That said, if keeping that type of detailed records appeals to the OP or anyone, and enhances the enjoyment of the hobby, there's no reason not to, but I do think very little value would be added by tracking things on that level.

At best, I'd maybe track how fast or slow each watch was running after I wore it, because wear or malfunction often manifests itself first in accuracy. I wouldn't necessarily tear it down for a service because last week it was +2 seconds/day, and this week it's -2 seconds/day, but trends over time can help diagnose problems...ie, if it's consistently losing an extra second/day over several months, for example.

Theatrix

Patron
Certified
12/2/18
USA
No truer statement than life is short, particularly when fighting a second cancer, but that’s precisely the point. Do what you love to do because nothing is guaranteed. In my younger days, it was cars, now it’s watches. Who could imagine actually enjoying looking through a trinocular microscope and documenting by video, watch movements? Wasn't on my radar a year ago. But here I am.

EarlOfBacon

bad old man ...
19/11/23
Germoney
Sounds like it :ROFLMAO:
However, yep, each to his own (y)

This is how organised my office / stores is ....

However, I do know where most stuff is :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes .........
Reminds me at the workshop of my father, where he stored his tools.
One day, when I was a boy and was bored though it was a good idea to clean it up and put everything in order, took me hour to do that.
My old became a crisis when saw the result 😜😂

• Haha
Reactions: Itto and Dave2302

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
i have a 30 watch collection and i couldn't fathom how much time i'd spend doing something like this
@Reaps I think you should start a thread detailing everything about your 30 watches.

Make sure you detail the time you picked each one up that day and for how long, the factory, model, movement, how many times you wound it and how smooth it was, how many links and keep going on. Can you also make sure you give exact times to the second as it could be used as a template for the new members.

Also make sure you post a time and date stamped picture of each watch and it must be accompanied with the use of the Reddit QC tool.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave2302

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Maybe it's the early hour and my caffeine hasn't fully kicked in yet, but I find myself considering the notion of creating a maintenance log for my entire watch collection. I typically rotate through each watch in my collection around 2-3 times a month, sometimes even more frequently. It strikes me that implementing a routine maintenance schedule couldn't hurt, could it? Checking and logging for accuracy on a timegraph, inspecting the bracelets for any issues, regulating if needed, and conducting a general assessment of wear and tear, especially on plated watches. Is this just a case of having too much time on my hands, or does it sound like a sensible idea?

Do whatever makes you happy - within reason. Your idea sounds like my idea of hell, but if it makes you happy then do it.

It's approximately this OCD:
KyZR8i.jpeg

That's just crazy - look at the spoons on the top shelf.

Pointing in TWO different directions! If that's yours then you need to rip everything out and start again.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Personally every watch when I first purchase them I do a timeographer reading and pressure test. I take pictures of each so I could look back and see how it was should an issue begin to appear. I typically don't bother again with a timeographer reading unless I suspect there's an issue. Pressure test I randomly check them every year or three. My focus is the couple that commonly go swimming with me. Beyond this I just keep them clean wash them with soap and water and enjoy. This goes for my genuines as well as my replicas