• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How Nuts Am I? Want to build a Franken 45.5 - Possible?

cardsdoc86

Known Member
7/9/10
The pearl on that insert belongs to a Rolex me thinks. And I'm sure it won't come close to the proper color and intensity of the Gen lume.
I have found used Gen SMP inserts for as little as $35.

Link please

Akira

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/12/10
Mostly because I need to replace the crown/tube, which means tearing into the watch - was able to purchase a UPO for $70.00, but it had a stripped crown/tube.

Figured if I'm going to tear into it to fix the crown/tube, I might as well replace the dial at the same time, which would correct the happy feet issue (a minor tell to us older guys with fading eyesight) AND the marker size / marker 'tint' (IMO a much larger tell).

I use 'tint' to refer to color of the lumed parts when in daylight, e.g, not glowing.

Nighttime lume ("glowing") intensity or duration not so important to me, but having had 6 or so 42mm POs, the daylight hand 'tint' on this watch is more Gen-like than I've seen, while the dial still had that greenish 'tint' to the hour markers, and the hour markers seem too small.

Having never seen a Gen PO, the AR wasn't an obvious tell - there is an AD about 30 minutes away, perhaps I'll take a trip up there to see one in person for the first time.

Perhaps what I'll do is buy / install the crown and tube, and leave it at that.

Is watchinternational a trusted dealer here? Are they located in CONUS?

Not familiar with Finedd - would they do the AR and the lume?

I do appreciate the advice - this is the ONLY rep I currently own, which hopefully says something about how much I like this model of watch.

Jim

Here you can see Finedd's service

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/forumdisplay.php/finedds-ar-service-183?f=183

He can relume and make AR modding, just drop him an email. Hes a nice guy.

Watchinternational is not a seller here, but on other rep fora.

Other trusted dealers should be able to supply this model too, just ask them :)

Here is mine:
UPO4.jpg

UPO21.jpg

Cheers

kohanjj

21/6/10
That's a beautiful watch you have there, Akira! Was hoping to not have to deal with Int'l shipping / Customs, but if finedd did all that, I'm tempted.

Am thinking what I'll do for starters is order a Gen Crown / Tube for the one I have, get it fixed, and at least make the one I have usable / sellable. From there, either sell it, and upgrade to the no-happy-feet model with a lume job /AR job, or rethink the whole Gen dial swap / lume job / AR job.

Akira

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/12/10
Good choice mate.
I just looked at your pics again and then at my wrist :)
Looks like my version has a longer minute hand than yours.
You might think about asking finedd if he can flaten your dial logo feet.
I'm sure hes able to do so.

kohanjj

21/6/10
Have decided to start this project up again - I was at a client's today, there happens to be an Omega AD in the same city, so I built in some travel time and stopped by over lunch.

They had a beautiful 45.5 PO in stock, and they were kind enough to spend time letting me look at it. A truly beautiful watch.

And before anyone asks, was wearing my Deep Blue Master 2000 today <grin>

Worth the $3385.00 price tag (discounted, mind you, from $3995.00)?

MOST CERTAINLY NOT, IMO.

The biggest difference I noticed, honestly, was in the quality of the bracelet, for whatever reason. And, oddly enough, while that dial didn't have 'happy feet' per se, the 'feet' of the Gen Omega symbol more resembled the "happy feet" version in that the ends were thinner than the thicker "no happy feet" dial out there - add that to the fact that at a quick glance one (IMO) can't focus on the "happy feet" area (on the rep OR the gen) unless the light is just right and you're really looking for it makes the "happy feet" issue even less important to me.

What I was surprised most by was the size of the Speedmaster Moonie. Given that my preferences is for watches suited to the wookie-wristed, I was very surprised at how tiny the Moonie seemed. Alas, is not for me, and killed from the Wishlist.

I have heard and read great things about katt and some other CONUS-based smiths that I will be contacting for their input / ideas / suggestions on what to do, will keep everyone updated.

Thank you again for all the input, it was greatly appreciated!

Jim (kohanjj)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You sure it wasn't a Speedmaster Reduced? They wear a LOT smaller.

Col.

kohanjj

21/6/10
Not at all sure, 'boss, but held up against the 45.5 PO, looked about right (think the the 'regular' sized ones are around 40mm, IIRC).

Again, compared to what I've been wearing (JSARs, Eco-zilla, UPO, Deep Blue Master 2000) seemed tiny.