• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How Nuts Am I? Want to build a Franken 45.5 - Possible?

kohanjj

21/6/10
Can't get away from the Planet Ocean's - been living in the 42mm world since day 1, have now graduated to the 45.5 world, and want to franken up a PO Lite that I purchased here. Any guidance would be appreciated!

The starting point...

A 45.5 Planet Ocean "Lite" that is supposed to have same case as the UPO. Watch came with what I assume is a DG4813 movement, near-gen sized hands, and a stripped crown / tube.

pol0.jpg

pol1.jpg

pol2.jpg

What I'm thinking...

Purchase Gen crown / tube from Ofrei.
Purchase Gen dial from Ofrei.
Install them.

How hard is it to install a Gen tube?

By leaving the DG4813 movement, I would not have to replace the hands (from what I hear, Gen handset needs an ETA movement, and won't work with the DG4813), and everything should line up.

So, how nuts am I?

Is the dial really that different from Gen on this model? Sometimes I think the dial markers are too small, other times they look very close in size. Color on the dial markers is also an issue (or is it)?

What are your thoughts? Is this doable?

I can get the Gen parts from Ofrei for about $280.00, so I'd have a 45.5 PO with gen dial/crown/tube, gen-like hands/case/bracelet for about $400.00 out the door.

I did / have consider the UPO, and save myself some time and $$$, but from what I can see, the dial markers / color on the UPO look different than the Gen dial markers. Is that true, or is it just me?

Again, any guidance would be appreciated!

Jim (kohanjj)

Akira

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/12/10
My advice
Sell yours!
Get this one :
http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10171
It has correct logo and almost centered pearl
Buy a gen crystal and hands from orfei, relume the dial.
Or almost as good get the dial and hands relumed and let some modder do the AR.
And you got a dead on watch!
Your version has the happy feet logo and little off-centered pearl.
Biggest tells after the blueish AR.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I agree with akira tbh, better option, and probably cheaper...slightly ;) If you go your way you will eventually want a gen crystal because the ar is still off on all versions. Then the bezel insert will eventually bug you because regardless of how good the pearl is it still isnt right!
I'm all for frankening but it can become a pointless journey very quickly when it starts pushing costs into 1/4er to 1/3rd the price of the real thing. Especially since you can find a minty gen for around 1700-2000 usd on wus or tz that would completely satisfy you.

Renowned Member
30/3/09
I couldn't get the link to work. Can any of our trusted dealers get the "new no happy feet" version of the PO?
This project interests me also.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
I say go for it :) but i'm partial

and yes the gen dial is different to the rep no matter how accurate the horseshoe symbol is and how thick the hour markers are... the black matte of the gen dial doesn't reflect as much light as the rep does so it seems to be more velvety and darker.

PLUS it's a fun project! As anyone that have frankened one before would know.

It all boils down to: is the juice worth the squeeze? None of us can answer that for you.

QinetiQ

Banned
6/8/09
Go for it. A word of advice though - if you're not sure what you're doing e.g. the tube installment, don't do it. Things can get real messy real quick!!!

I'm not sure if gen hands require an ETA movement but it's possible. I'd suggest asking some people who have already done all this. Nothing beats experience.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Akira, drbollocko It's a lot cheaper to get the crystal you have stripped and have the AR re-coated than to buy a gen crystal. There are a couple of GREAT AR guys on the board.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
You can't go wrong with Gen parts. You can always sell them off and get most of your money back.

Your movement will work with Gen hands.

I have yet to see a proper lume job for a PO.
Jump in! The water is great!!!!! :lol:

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
MrYesterday, yep you're right on getting the AR done, good thinking. I think frankening(if thats even a word!) comes down to what personality you are :) If you love tinkering and enjoy the modding and the thrill of getting it perfect then theres nothing better....you are not only making the watch accurate to the gen but you are truely making it a very personal piece. You cant beat that feeling...its better than walking into an AD and walking out with a gen on your wrist.

On the other hand, if the thrill of modding isnt for you and you merely seek an identical to gen rep, then you will always feel something is not quite right with it. When all cosmetic stuff is accomplished on the outside then the bracelet wont feel quite right or the clasp will bug you or knowing the movement is not co-axial will gnaw away at you and then theres how good the waterproofing is and so on and on etc, etc. Wouldnt put anyone off doing it but definitely not for everyone. If you don't mind at all the amount of money you are spending and the project is a labour of love then go for it!

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
I guess that's why I'll never try on the gen version of a rep I own. I'll walk out feeling as though the rep that I loved 5 minutes before is totally inferior. "Ignorance is bliss".
I wasn't trying to argue, just throwing out other options (after reading my post again I guess it could be misconstrued as argumentative). But, you're right, he said franken, not modded. :)

kohanjj

21/6/10
I'm not afraid to jump in and get my hands dirty (I tinker with old cars and old planes for relaxation), but I will check into some options for the crown/tube replacement, as I've never tackled that one (nor even researched how it would happen).

Up to this point the AR hasn't been an issue for me (like MrYesterday, ignorance is bliss), it's mostly been the He valve, the hands, and the dial, and other than the dial on this one, no 'punch you in the face tells' based on comparing the PO Lite in hand with PO Gen photos.

Given, per Q5 that Gen hands will work with this movement, can I ASSume that a Gen dial will drop right in, too? Only real concern is date window placement.

Once I'm done moving my Sinn U1 (my Sinn U2 on Gen bracelet + Gen rubber just sold minutes ago) the only reps I'll have is this PO and my Big Pilot homage, which I love except for the crown.

Many, many thanks to all who've chimed in so far, will update as I have more questions and hone in on the final decision.

Jim

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I was lucky to have Katt and R2D4 work on my FrPO. :lol:

I believe the crown/tube (done by R2) was easy.
The movement is only using one of the dial feet. It is fine with that and the movement holder. :)
The second hand needed to be broached. (It fell off during a bracelet sizing.)
I went with the Gen crystal because it is perfect and I didn't have to wait for the whole AR process. It took my guy 30 minutes.

Get a used Gen SMP insert on eBay and install the pearl on your rep insert. It will match perfectly.

And I think the UPO-Lite referes to the 21j model not the clone ETA you have. Yours is a UPO!!! :woot:

kohanjj

21/6/10
Q, you give me hope!

Based on posts, I see that R2D4 is lingering about, but is he really not accepting PMs? I wonder if he and/or katt would be interested in helping me out with my transformation project as they did yours. I would be willing to compensate them, of course, and even have a donor 2824-2 movement in a Big Pilot homage, should they need it.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I would contact Katt and see what he says. He can do anything you need. :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09

Akira

Banned
1/12/10
For what reason do you want to go franken?
For the fun of working on the watch or to make it more gen like?
If its for the 1st reason, it only depends on how much money you want to spend.
Gen dial,hands,crystal and bezel insert you name it.

If its for the 2nd reason:
The blueish AR is a "punch in the face" tell.
So is the happy feet logo.
Lume is although not gen-like.
I wouldn't bother about the crown before having "tackled" those problems.
Gen hands and crystal are about $200ish. Check Orfei's page.
Getting the dial relumed is about $100.
You would still have the Logo problem.

So all in all you would $300 and more for parts.

But as I said before
Mary from watchinternational sells an asian eta clone with correct logo for $200ish.
It's the most accurate version of the 45,5mm I know.
Finedd AR coating plus complete watch relume is about $200 and your watch would still look dead on for about $400.

It's your choice mate :)

kohanjj

21/6/10
Mostly because I need to replace the crown/tube, which means tearing into the watch - was able to purchase a UPO for $70.00, but it had a stripped crown/tube.

Figured if I'm going to tear into it to fix the crown/tube, I might as well replace the dial at the same time, which would correct the happy feet issue (a minor tell to us older guys with fading eyesight) AND the marker size / marker 'tint' (IMO a much larger tell).

I use 'tint' to refer to color of the lumed parts when in daylight, e.g, not glowing.

Nighttime lume ("glowing") intensity or duration not so important to me, but having had 6 or so 42mm POs, the daylight hand 'tint' on this watch is more Gen-like than I've seen, while the dial still had that greenish 'tint' to the hour markers, and the hour markers seem too small.

Having never seen a Gen PO, the AR wasn't an obvious tell - there is an AD about 30 minutes away, perhaps I'll take a trip up there to see one in person for the first time.

Perhaps what I'll do is buy / install the crown and tube, and leave it at that.

Is watchinternational a trusted dealer here? Are they located in CONUS?

Not familiar with Finedd - would they do the AR and the lume?

I do appreciate the advice - this is the ONLY rep I currently own, which hopefully says something about how much I like this model of watch.

Jim