• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How I got my 16600 mid 1990s Sea Dweller built

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
My passion for 5-digit Submariner references should be common noticed, as well as the fact that I occasionally exaggerate in my builds. Both in terms of the degree of perfection and the materials used. Over time, I have already had 3 Submariner Date with Gen caliber (one 16800, one 16803 and one 16610) built, which I have gradually parted with or will part with in the future, as I now own a 16610T from Rolex. But what had always appealed to me was a sporty diver from RLX (I now use the abbreviation RLX for builds to clearly document - especially for myself - that it is not a watch from the Geneva-based manufacturer) without the obligatory date magnifier. That leads into the direction of a Sea Dweller (not the SD 43), the DSSD or the Submariner (reference 14060). Having already had an ugly duckling turned into a pretty swan (link to the thread), I wanted to own an even more authentic Sea Dweller. Unfortunately, a Sea Dweller 16600 in a full set got away from me at the very last moment due to an oversight by a seller I know in person, but I didn't want to accept that, so I started looking for parts again.

When I finally found a nice dial with tritium lume (not perfect, but reasonably priced) I remembered the Gen spec cases that are made in Vietnam. But I didn't actually order a case until it was clear that I could get two 93160 half-links and TomRep assured me that he would make something very nice from the material supplied. The case from Vietnam is - and this is no surprise - Gen Spec, but also has various small problems in the finish. In this case, in addition to the edge between the crown and the lower right horn end, the area around the helium valve was the biggest weak point of the case. There was some material missing at one point, which had to be welded on, and the finish of the helium valve was also not Gen like. The valve was just as highly polished as the edges of the case, but this is not the case with the reference 16600. The valve therefore had to be matted. When everything was finished and the hands had been re-lumed, it unfortunately turned out that the hands were not for a 3135 movement but apparently for an ETA 2824 caliber. So I had to search for another set of hands, this time for a 3135 movement. It was also clear to me this time that I would resist the temptation to use my Rolex Caliber 3135 for the build, so instead a DanDong 3135 Clone movement (better known as VS 3135) was installed. The case, crystal, bezel set and insert remained together, so this is a complete VN case set. The bracelet, which is also not available as a good replica, was assembled from two half-links and a JF clasp. The crown and tube are original Rolex, as is the dial. The hands are also Authentic Rolex, but were relumed from Luminova to a luminous material in a matching color. The bezel action can be described as good. Overall, a really credible build that could represent a freshly refurbished SeaDweller Ref. 16600 from the mid-1990s.

I did not take any High-Quality pics for now, just a very few that show the quality of the finish before and after as well as a first wristshot.

QC pics I received from the supplier:

Pics Tom sent to me as an appetizer:

And first wrist shots: