• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How honest to be about your Rep?

AASoliman

Known Member
1/6/20
California
If you were wearing a genuine you might want to tell people it is a fake. Less robberies that way.

Usually no one notices what watch I am wearing.

Exactly I was in an Italian train station wearing my gen aquanaut and these sketchy people were asking me for the time and what kind of watch I had and telling me that the escalator wasn’t working and to come over to the elevator and I just told them that it was a fake watch and went on my way and they didn’t bother trying to continue the conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M4STERBATUR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/12/19
To be honest. Nobody can tell whether it's gen or rep. its just how you " present" yourself and the watch. I own Skydweller TT, SD43, OP36 and AP 15500 gen but I also have the rep for each model. I only wear gen for special occasions and when I wear rep and people complimented it, I just told them about my experience with my gen purchases. And they just assumed it's gen. I never told them it's rep though.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Hesekiel

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
^ This has also been my experience. If you simply go about wearing a rep as if it was a gen then no will know the difference. Heck, I've had gen wearers (that I know own gens) even comment "Hey, nice sub" to me and I just smile and say thanks. It is true what they say... "The biggest tell is you."

justjoe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/11/21
True enough! I don’t like the idea of it, but on occasions I do, we all do.

As a few others have alluded to there is a distinction between lying and omitting certain bits of true. The latter I will likely be doing more than the former.

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
I've been in this game now for about 10 years. I've had less than 5 people ever say anything about my watch, most people don't even notice it. No one has ever asked if it was gen or "fake." All but one person just said "nice watch" and I just say thank you. The last one was my neighbor who saw my gen Breitling Seawolf II with the Cobra yellow dial. All he said was, "damn, that's a big watch." Made me laugh.

I think the vast majority of people who have noticed my watches, but didn't say anything really don't know anything about higher end timepieces. Hell, I didn't know 99% of what I do now before I joined these boards. I think a lot of us collectors would love to have our watches noticed, but not asked about them. I own a combination of reps and gens and wouldn't hesitate to reply with the truth as to whether it was gen or rep depending on if I were wearing one or the other.

Amorist

Horology Curious
13/2/18
A couple years back I got a Rolex Explorer serviced. Nothing was wrong with it, but I just assumed I had to get the reps serviced right after I got them to prolong the life. Anyways, this was a tip someone had posted on this forum, and it worked beautifully. It was to call local watchsmiths and say: "My wife and I went to Hong Kong for our honeymoon and while we were out there, we picked up a pair of replica watches for ourselves. They're not worth much but they hold sentimental value and I'd like to get them serviced. I know this isn't a common thing, but can you do it for me?"

This worked well and I only needed to call 2 watchsmiths before one agreed to do it...might have been coincidence, but I dont think so.

Anyways, No one has ever asked me if any of my watches are reps, but I'd probably just say the same thing if they did.

Reactions: P..DR..D

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
It is interesting to read other peoples comments on this topic. Of which I have read numerous threads about over the years....

I have only ever been asked to take a watch off my wrist for someone to look at once, and that was my gen vintage moon speedy, the guy who asked was a new colleague at the time; and it turns out he is right into watches. Well he never questioned whether it was real, he was admiring it. He pulls up his sleeve and shows me his 5513. Full patina. Beautiful watch is an understatement. I was like "holy crap that 5513 is fucking beautiful!" How long have you had it etc. But he was amazed I called it 5513 not just a Rolex. I certainly didn't ask if it was a rep as I know it was gen. And then a true watch conversation ensued. How many do you have etc. What is your favourite, how's your rotation work, how many auto's do you have on a watch winder etc. Ha! He has a very large collection ranging from ludicrously priced watches to G shock and $30 dollar watches. Same, apart from the ludicrously priced. I am talking over $30K AUD to which, some may agree or disagree on 'ludicrous'.

We also share an interest in military issued watches which we both have a number of. He was saying how his wife can't understand why he has so many watches. Which mine does too. lol. This guy can certainly pull off any gen, but you wouldn't know it, he's a knock around guy who's done well for himself. Funnily enough we both agreed that it is "man jewellery". I don't wear any other items accept clothes, maybe a hat if required, and even then I don't buy big brand stuff... well I guess I do but not Gucci or whatever 'high end' brands are, dunno. Not into that. But watches are my thing. It's not until you meet someone who is also right into their watches until you have that type of conversation.

Anyway I was wearing a PAM rep one day and he said "hey nice watch mate". I replied "yeah thanks mate, it's a good replica isn't it?". He was amazed at how good the quality was (he asked me for a closer look so I took it off my wrist). I explained the rep game and how it works. So now the running joke with him and I is "hey what watch are you wearing today and is it real". I always answer honestly as to whether it's gen or real (I have a number of each). Whether gen or rep he is always interested in having a closer look. And doesn't judge. And that's because we both love watches. And whether real or gen we always suss each others wrist and admire. And on that note - how many of us true watch freaks here look at what people are wearing. I must admit I do, but would never call someone out. I would say "nice watch" and leave it at that. And probably suss their reaction lol. But wouldn't judge them. But really? How many people even notice?

So to summarise the longest post I've ever written here, I have NEVER EVER been asked whether my watch is gen or real (apart from the fellow watchaholic above). And if I were to be asked I would say "yeah it's a replica, pretty good huh?". And as has been stated, not many people know high end brands apart from TAG, RM (because they see it advertised on F1 cars for example), Rolex, Breitling and probably Tudor too, no doubt others.

guybythelake

13/7/14
I think someone asking me "if my watch is fake" is an aggressive question. I view it as a indirect insult. Implying that you don't deserve a gen or can't afford it. My point is just as you don't ask someone if they are wearing a hair piece or if they dye their hair, if their teeth are real or if they bought their car used, or if they were born as a woman. It is a toxic question. And I would not ask it or entertain it.

suntzu88

Known Member
15/8/21
I wear only rep 114060 submariner and received only "Nice watch". No one asked me whether it is gen or rep, so I never said "Hey look at my REP" or introduced anyone to the world of rep. I also stayed humble and told people that I inherit the watch from my father. My father also wear gen 216570 Exp 2 White.