• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How dumb can you be?

staugur

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/10
So,what's going on with the ad department at ford corporate?I'm a Britt,an old one I admit,and was made to learn Latin when I was at school so I can count in Roman numerals.All the old Jags whether they be mark 1's,mark 2's,iv's,v's,vii's are not a problem.Didn't expect to see the same over here but it happened. Lincoln built mark 1,11,111,1V,V,V1,V11,V111,1X but when they got to the mark ten instead of calling it a mark X(ten) it became a M<K<X>.Anyone got any ideas why this happened? Could be something as simple as a **** up with the ad department I suppose.Seems strange.Anyone else picked up on this?

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I dont know - but I do know that mathematical ability and creative people are usually not one in the same!

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
The first two letters, MK, stand for Mark. The third letter, X, stands for 10. Hence MKX means Mark 10. The three letters are NOT all Roman numerals. Makes sense when you see it that way.

staugur

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/10
MKX

The first two letters, MK, stand for Mark. The third letter, X, stands for 10. Hence MKX means Mark 10. The three letters are NOT all Roman numerals. Makes sense when you see it that way.

I agree. The M and K in this instance are not Roman numerals although M is in a different context. My point being 'tho ,why don't they call it a mark ten. The last one was a mark nine! Perhaps they assume people are too dumb to to know what X is. Or perhaps the Madison avenue crew that made the ad are too young and stupid to realize what MKX really means!!!

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Or perhaps they are trying to be more "European" to equate their cars with MB and BMW. Note how European companies tend to describe their cars with only a few letters and numbers: E350, S500, M3, M5, etc. Using a few letters instead of spelling it out could have been thought to give the car a more "upscale" image. American and Japanese companies have tended to give their cars names: Mustang, Camero, Roadmaster, Accord, Civic, Sonata, etc. Perhaps Ford's marketing arm is just trying to appeal to that European convention for that particular model.