• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you feel about 42mm?

Thomas Carey

Known Member
6/3/13
You know a lot have been pointed out that 42mm is sort of global standard for a sport watch size. What you all think if made a slight tweak to our Minuteman/USN watch size and went to 42mm rather than 43?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
42mm is perfect for my 7" wrist and affords good visibility, IMHO.

42 or 43 are so close I can't imagine the change would hurt sales.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
42mm is the new 40mm. But it depends on if you're talking with or without crown measurements.

ezempls

Renowned Member
Supporter
9/2/13
My 42mm is just on the verge of being too small for me. Personally I prefer more of a 44 - 46.

My $0.02

E

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
I personally think with this crowd a bigger concern is movement. I don't know that 42 or 43mm will make a big difference in sales.. Slap a automatic movement in that puppy and you'll probably double interest.. There are several good 21J movements to choose from.

Thomas Carey

Known Member
6/3/13
I personally think with this crowd a bigger concern is movement. I don't know that 42 or 43mm will make a big difference in sales.. Slap a automatic movement in that puppy and you'll probably double interest.. There are several good 21J movements to choose from.

I would put a 9015 in if we were doing anything. But I am saving that for the future for many reasons.

We want the watch to have a strong audience outside the watch world as well as a respectable one inside so quartz it is.

I had hoped some points like its for charity etc would help overcome some of the. Well I don't like quartz, I don't like the size, if only it was ...I would buy it. I can't make everyone happy sadly with the design and spec. Seems watch design/spec is like being married. =)

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
I couldn't care less about one millimeter difference. Anywhere between 40mm to 46mm is OK in my book. That quartz movement on the other hand is a bigger concern. Personally I would never pay $500 for a quartz that's not solar, has some sort of complication or smooth sweeping hand. The donation part is nice, but not enough for me to buy it, I am donating money to the vets anyway without buying the watch.

Thomas Carey

Known Member
6/3/13
I couldn't care less about one millimeter difference. Anywhere between 40mm to 46mm is OK in my book. That quartz movement on the other hand is a bigger concern. Personally I would never pay $500 for a quartz that's not solar, has some sort of complication or smooth sweeping hand. The donation part is nice, but not enough for me to buy it, I am donating money to the vets anyway without buying the watch.

The price is $378 to $421. How did you get to $500? So I take it building it in America means nothing? You know why there are not a whole lot of products built in America these days. Americans will not work for the wages our Asian friends etc will. I would not either would you?

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
In reality, as much as I mock the giant watch fad, it is what everyone else is doing. So, yes, if you do not want to stand out in any way, making another "me too" product it is a good direction.

That being said, a poll was recently done at the WUS website. Most of the people had wrists that would be better fitted to a mid-sized watch. Keep in mind that this was a poll on a website devoted to watches, and some men have forgone wearing watches because the popular watches are too big. So, it is not a survey that captured the general population.

"Real" military watches were typically not the giant watches that are so popular today. But, for a "military style" fashion accessory (in air-soft it is referred to a "tacti-cool") it is probably a good way to go. As far as the difference between 42mm and 43mm, I don't think there is a real difference. What I saw of your watch, it would make a lot more sense if it were closer to the size of the original Explorer, closer to 36mm.

However, going against the trend is risky.