• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you explain to ppl your REPS especially gen owners.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Hi all

this may be a question asked all over but forgive me .. its 5 AM here i just got home , and had a really irritating argue with a friend of mine...

As some of you may know i have a friend whos one of the most important watch dealers in italy and Uk ... i see frequently him dealing high end watches from vintage rolexes , Patek , AP ecc. i have told him about the rep world all the things that i thought he needs to know .

but we were at dinner with another friend of us who also knows about my rep background ecc. what pissed me off was a statement the watch dealer made using my own words to put a bad word on me ... he said :

This guys who collects reps are just some WANNA BE... they dont know nothing they just spend 300-500$ on something thats fake and never own a gen or will ( i have told him about the high number of gen pieces different member owns ), and real watch collectors would never step on rep forum nor seek for info in this platforms... the only good thing he said was about us not profiting on reps and never scam someone selling it as gen...

of course i sent im to fuk off and stuff but it really pissed me off , he never said nothing to me about this also have asked me many times to show him reps so he can observe and dissect them ...

so hi wanted to be a jerk ... and i could not care less.. but i was curious if any of you have even been in this position and what your answer was or it would be...

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
If he was truly concerned about wealth, he would understand that consumer goods are mere folly. I confess that my old lady drives a new Mercedes, but luckily she pays for it. We live in a modest house but in the ritzy part of town. I own 75% reps and buy Saville Row suits used on eBay. My family is relatively old money (based on the oil boom of the 1910's). One thing my grandfather taught me was to never pay for status and never put your nut in something that depreciates or you cannot sell. A $20MM house is great, but who can you sell it to?? Your friend likely doesn't understand rich vs wealthy and is riding high now because people are spending money on his wares. When the sh*t hits the fan, he could have solid gold toilet seats but no one to sell them to. Rest well knowing you understand the value of consumer goods and that wealth can never be attained by attempting to buy status. As my grandfather said. "I didn't get wealthy by spending all my money." And Warren Buffet drives an early '90's town car. Who's the douche in the M5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
And not to beat a dead horse, but what does a nice watch really get you? Is it to turn heads? Maybe. I can see that. Is it to close a big deal? Most guys with real money wear Seikos or an equivalent. Is it for self satisfaction? Bingo. Might as well jerk yourself off.

Any business deal or broad that requires a nice watch is bogus IMO. Reps are great because they allow you to try a wide variety of pieces without financial constraint, guilt or having to explain it to the old lady. Your friend's livelihood depends on building value from image -- and if you know anyone in Hollywood, they'll tell you that lifestyle is suicide..

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
There are plenty of gen owners on this forum.

Your acquaintance has much to learn about rep owners. But he likely will remain ignorant.

Up to you to perpetuate the argument, of course. If I was in your position, I'd abandon it.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
^^ Probably good advice. It just ticks me off when a salesman gets smarmy when he can't afford to play the game.

D

d4m.test

No need to argue with strangers or friends over hobbies, certain opinions when one radical is present, so for the sake of peace in some situations I will just
try to change the topic asap, enjoy dinner, possibly smile inside - and everybody goes home happy (including the jerk).
There are people/situations You simply cannot argue with when the prejudice/radicalism is so high that no sensible argument will be registered anyway.
This includes topics like gen vs. rep, vegetables vs. meat, politics, religion, enjoying cars and driving fast vs. protecting Nature, smoking, etc. etc.
Discussing these with sensible ppl and sharing points of view is fun and constructive, with radicals it´s fruitless.

Would You be wearing a genuine platinum Daytona for $64.000 in the wrong setting, You would get smashed for not helping the poor, supporting the children,
giving it to charity etc., there would be ppl trying to make You feel much worse about it than wearing a rep. The World is not perfect.

I enjoy my watch collecting and just want to keep it that way. Ignore him, he not only wanted to be a jerk, he is one.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
The problem with a lot of gen owners is that their own arrogance blinds them to the truth. I've owned many and trolled many gen forums for years but only when I found this forum and this segment of watch collection did I find true enlightenment.
This rep game gives anyone the option to experience the design elements of many higher end brands that they could never normally have access to AND gain a lot of knowledge about watches generally. The funny thing is that most gen snobs worry constantly about scammers and fakes and spend lots of time writing lengthy threads about how to spot a fake and those new to the collecting game follow those to understand how to id a replica but ironically if they spent some time on a forum like this they would have access to a sea of knowledge.
As far a I'm concerned, if you love watches then you'd explore every facet of that hobby whether it's low end, luxury, gen, or replica, and be open minded....only then can you really appreciate the collecting game.......

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
It's funny the perception some people have of rep owners. Several of my friends on RWI literally live in multi million dollar mansions. I would say that the average income of this group is much higher than people would think.

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
I've had gens and reps. In the end, nobody has ever known my reps were reps (or said anything). If you have enough extra cash to spend 50K on a watch its not an appreciating asset in most cases, so that money is better invested other financial instruments. I've sold gens when I needed money and lost quite a bit, then with the loss bought a rep which only an expert could tell the difference and I paid $500 for it - actually an amazing deal. I wish they built rep cars! Watches are for the ego, as our phones all tell time and clocks are everywhere. So, a rep can fulfill the egos need for flash at a fair price and this creates a hobby that many on here seem to enjoy quite a bit. So win, win for me. ;-)

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
"a friend of mine... "

... he said : "This guys who collects reps are just some WANNA BE..."

I am not sure of what you mean when you use 'friend' to describe this guy. Or what it means to him for that matter.

Acquaintances I have many; I would have shot him down with used car salesman referenced humour.

Friends, I can't truly count more than three in my life; I would have rode it then taken him aside in the car park and ripped in to him for clarification.

If you're a teenager on facebook and this is one of 1650 friends, I don't have advice apart from learn how to deal with bullies.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
No need to argue with strangers or friends over hobbies, certain opinions when one radical is present, so for the sake of peace in some situations I will just
try to change the topic asap, enjoy dinner, possibly smile inside - and everybody goes home happy (including the jerk).
There are people/situations You simply cannot argue with when the prejudice/radicalism is so high that no sensible argument will be registered anyway.
This includes topics like gen vs. rep, vegetables vs. meat, politics, religion, enjoying cars and driving fast vs. protecting Nature, smoking, etc. etc.
Discussing these with sensible ppl and sharing points of view is fun and constructive, with radicals it´s fruitless.

Would You be wearing a genuine platinum Daytona for $64.000 in the wrong setting, You would get smashed for not helping the poor, supporting the children,
giving it to charity etc., there would be ppl trying to make You feel much worse about it than wearing a rep. The World is not perfect.

I enjoy my watch collecting and just want to keep it that way. Ignore him, he not only wanted to be a jerk, he is one.

Great idea, and so true. Jerks will be jerks.

When faced with verbal/attacking arguments with people that are of no value for me I just ignore it totally, its SO outside my strong reality that it just doesn't even register in my head, I won't let them rent space or time in my head. I just let it go. If its a person I value, I try to argument and critical think, otherwise its not worth it. Just say you're not interested in argumenting over that topic and that you value his/her friendship more than your need to win an argument.

Keylog74

14/6/13
I agree with all of you , and what Subjeff says is more than true !

i think that problem is that watches are just some status symbol and as pointed for the EGO ! being on a rep forum i think you learn and grow passion for horogy !

of course im not a Teenager (also not that old ) and his not a friend from facebook . He is well connected and i use his connection for my goals ( dinner was sort of dinner mettig with an accounter that we both know ) .

Hyjynx

28/9/13
You'd have better luck explaining color to a blind person. They just can't see your point of view. Pardon the pun.

Come for the watches, stay for the drama! [emoji12]

Fiveostang

6/11/12
This is why only my fiancé and VERY close friends know my watches are reps. To everyone else they are gen. I'm not interested in having these kind of debates or the stigma that goes with rep watches. I pass my reps off as gen always.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
If I had a spare $50k I certainly wouldn't be spending it on a patek, AP, daytona etc so i can look good to my friends. I would rather invest it in something worthwhile that can create a sustainable form of income or a larger return in the future. Thats why reps are great, try the styles with no risk. To spend that kind of money on a watch you need to be making $1m a year.

NeedAG

Horology Curious
18/6/13
People's views tend to support their business angles, and your friend sells gens. ;)

Insert-here

Known Member
16/7/15
"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" (Ayn Rand)
I Have both gen and rep, they are all just watches to me. They tell time and look nice on my wrist.

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
If I had a spare $50k I certainly wouldn't be spending it on a patek, AP, daytona etc so i can look good to my friends. I would rather invest it in something worthwhile that can create a sustainable form of income or a larger return in the future. Thats why reps are great, try the styles with no risk. To spend that kind of money on a watch you need to be making $1m a year.

Good point. And because these reps look like gens to 99% of the population, and cost a few hundred dollars, thats what creates a huge demand. So members here are smart investors. ;-)

Omegafan22

26/2/15
Family does not care for watches. My friends do not get to see them too often as i do not wear them for sports or in the evening. Customers do believe they are gen due to our jobs and the fact that most of them wear a Tag or Rolex on their own. I also have only 4 watches and a cheap Casio beater for gym and after dusk. I also do not buy those crazy expensive ones which makes it more realistic.

Keylog74

14/6/13
This is why only my fiancé and VERY close friends know my watches are reps. To everyone else they are gen. I'm not interested in having these kind of debates or the stigma that goes with rep watches. I pass my reps off as gen always.

i second that ! i can pull of my watches never tell and never show them of , ... is someone recons them i take the compliment and leave it there ... ! i sure tell the RM is a rep and my skymoon Patek this i cant pull off :D