• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How accurate are current Seamaster Pro reps?

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
Hey guys,

I couldn't find much via search cause I guess the question is very vague but basically I'm wanting to know, what are all the flaws we're aware of with the Seamaster Pro, no matter how minor? Specifically, how close is the dial? A little bit of reading suggests it's very good but long story short, I went into an AD today and tried an Omega Planet Ocean and Omega Seamaster Professional on and holy fuckin' shit I am in love with the Pro. When I went in I couldn't decide between them in the display case, but the second I tried the Pro on, the way the light caught the dial, my decision was a lot easier than I had anticipated once I tried them on. The Seamaster Pro is breathtaking and will definitely be my next rep, along with one of T4D's 2836 YM's.

rsea

6/1/11
lol I did exactly the same thing today!! hahaha
Did you try on the 42 or the 45?

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
to be honest all reps are getting much better in terms of quality - I'll wait for an Omega expert to chime in though :)

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
lol I did exactly the same thing today!! hahaha
Did you try on the 42 or the 45?

They had the Planet Ocean in 45 and 42, I tried the PO 42 and it was perfect, didn't even bother with the 45. They didn't have the Seamaster Pro in 45 though just 42.

I wore my Milgauss in hidden under my shirt cuff and very slyly removed it before the sales guy brought me over to try on the Omega's. I felt I had to hide my Milgauss as well for two reasons,

1.) I spoke to the same guy as last time I went in and I didn't want to risk him remembering me specifically telling him the Milgauss was out of my budget. (To come across as believable, I feigned that I wanted the Milgauss but it was out of my range and focused on the Omega's last visit.) So if I come in again looking for a Seamaster still but I'm suddenly wearing a Milgauss, alarm bells will ring as they're the only Rolex AD in Adelaide and he knows I couldn't afford it, let alone it, and then a Seamaster Pro on top.
2.) The Milgauss is, unfortunately, not a very good replica haha. I thought it was but after closely examining the gen Milgauss, I really underestimated how much a difference the seconds hand makes, it is HUGE. Everything else is passable but not the hand.

Seriously though I'm glad I didn't buy a PO rep yet, after trying them on, the Seamaster Pro is just so much nicer. Had a lengthy discussion with the sales guy about it, I really think the Seamaster Pro could end up being the first gen I buy some time soon. Unless I can shell out for the Milgauss.

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
i'm pretty sure i've seen a rep to gen thread in the omega section.
i think generally the flaws are quite few and small.
things like size of the crown size and length of He valve.
position of omega sign in relation to 12 o'clock marker.
and the size and shape of the time markers.
they are all very minor details compared to aspects of the rep that do look accurate to the gen.
position of the valve seems to be pretty much spot on in the newer version
bezel is a lot better and the curve of the bracelet is gen like.
some suggest the AR is off slightly to gen.
i've heard some people mention that the peral isn't still accurate enough, but it's a rep at the end of the day.
you have to take into account these things are 100 times cheaper than a gen.

automatics

4/11/10
i'm pretty sure i've seen a rep to gen thread in the omega section.
i think generally the flaws are quite few and small.
things like size of the crown size and length of He valve.
position of omega sign in relation to 12 o'clock marker.
and the size and shape of the time markers.
they are all very minor details compared to aspects of the rep that do look accurate to the gen.
position of the valve seems to be pretty much spot on in the newer version
bezel is a lot better and the curve of the bracelet is gen like.
some suggest the AR is off slightly to gen.
i've heard some people mention that the peral isn't still accurate enough, but it's a rep at the end of the day.
you have to take into account these things are 100 times cheaper than a gen.

Good points, all.
But more like 10+ times cheaper :)

The Seamaster Pro is one of those watches that aren't inhumanely affordable, even in gen form.

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
Oh absolutely, I do not expect 1:1, I was just having a little trouble finding information on the rep vs. gen just so I know what the flaws are. Your post is what I was after :)

I also found some info about the Omega logo being the wrong shape (Not the hippocampus the actual letters joining at bottom instead of middle) which seems to be the most obvious flaw, but even then, it's such a beautiful watch I'll get it anyway :D

Thanks mate.

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
Sorry I did mean 10 times cheaper.
I think for the fact you can get one for less than a 100 bucks, means the good far out weigh the flaws.

68Olds

9/7/10
US
I have the 300M Pro co-axial version, which is stated as having the swiss ETA 2824-2 (bought it before Lay offered the a2824-2 version). I bought it from replicakemake & love the look of it. I keep it in a winder when I'm not wearing it & it keeps good time, a minute or so per week.

DSC01478.jpg

MAC

Horology Curious
23/8/10
I have the 300M Pro co-axial version, which is stated as having the swiss ETA 2824-2 (bought it before Lay offered the a2824-2 version). I bought it from replicakemake & love the look of it. I keep it in a winder when I'm not wearing it & it keeps good time, a minute or so per week.

DSC01478.jpg

That one looks good!!! it has happy feet logo?

68Olds

9/7/10
US
Yes it has happy feet. Also the besel marks are not aligned at the points, but centered on the flats. The crown guard is off from the gen too.

None of those little details bother me though. I still think it is a great looking watch.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Great pictures Sven. If I were to pick a SMP it would be yours. ;)

kohanjj

21/6/10
I will gladly do a comparison review later this week.

Very happy to announce I was able to pick this up today from over on WUS, and will gladly compare it with the WBK Blue SMP that I'd purchased (my father has since 'borrowed' the SMP).

MySMP.jpg

(My first Gen Omega!)

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
I swear I saw a SMP rep posted recently with correct He valve position. I even asked if there was a new version out. Dont remember which forum I saw it on, but I got no reply last I checked.

That said, have you considered pre-owned? I like the older dials with the fat lume hour markers better personally. I'm partial to the Electric Blue, but i'm biased. Here's my duo. The EB purchased at Tourneau NYC on my honeymoon, and the vintage was my late grandfathers.

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

The lume is beligerent, it will give any Pam a run for its money..
IMG_3442.jpg

svenkramer

22/1/11
Ha thanks guys!

@Kohanjj: real nice! Picked up a quartz i see? Lovely.But comparing it to the WBK is not really helpful i guess, because that's the older model isn't it?

kohanjj

21/6/10
Thanks svenkramer! Yep, it's a quartz model. Got it for what I think is a heckuva good deal!

As to what model WBK offers, I honestly don't know if they're old or new, but figured a comparison can't hurt (I'm just thrilled I'm finally able to do a Gen->Rep comparison!)

kohanjj

21/6/10
Was finally able to post pics / comparisons between my Gen Quartz and Rep WBK A21J Seamasters, can be found here.

Hok

Horology Curious
16/3/11
Hey guys,

I've been out of the game for 2 years, and was very pleased to see that a nice Vintage SM300 rep is out there. At the same time, I was always a fan of the black (non-bond) SMP, no wonder considering their similarity.

However, I have only a 6.5 inch wrist. The question for me now is: Which watch wears smaller? I like both designs, and am unsure which model too chose. I have the feeling the vintage SM wears smaller, is this true?

thanks