• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How accurate and reliable is this Breguet?

watchcollector

Renowned Member
23/9/10
I found this model: http://www.replicamake88.com/produc...BILLON-4109-SS-LEATHER-FLYING-TOURBILLON.html
I saw that it probably has a chinese Seagull tourbillon movement. Can anyone tell me how reliable are these movements? I mean, how do they keep time, worse or better than a high beat 7750? Do they need servicing before start to wear them? Is it true that they have a limited life cycle of 1-2 years?
And regarding the replication...are there any obvious flaws? I think that the only flaw is the wrong reference number from the dial, but maybe I'm wrong...
Any Breguet/tourbillons expert insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
Unfortunately there are very few decent Breguet replications.

As to reliability of tourbis, theflyingdutchman might point you in the right direction.

As far as replication, this one might well be a fantasy version.

The number on the dial is not a model number, but the serial number of the specific watch. A Breguet peculiarity.
The model number may be found on the back of the watch as ref XXXX. Here they mention ref 1775, which you will find on many different Breguet reps. There once was such a model number, but has an enamel dial with arabic numbers and no tourbillon, so this is not it.
Still the dial might resemble an existing model, just with an incorrect reference.

Whilst there are a couple of decent replications of Breguet watches, I would not be too concerned about the precise accuracy to Gen. You are highly unlikely ever to meet one in real life.

What is far more important is the quality of the watch you want. The guilloche, the depth and crispness of engravings and the quality of the case. I cannot tell the quality of the dial from the pictures. But it looks to me like the case (and in particular the case back) is pretty average rep-quality.

And that is what makes so many Breguet reps obvious to outsiders. The Gen has really intricate detailing (as it should for the price it commands), but most reps do not, and so end up looking rather ...... fake. :)

Hope that helps.