• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hey there good folks & horology nerds, err... horophiles... horologophiles perhaps...

SpiritRunner

Horology Curious
11/4/18
USA
New old member here- I joined RWI about six years ago I guess, and bought a few watches from TDs... but was never terribly active in posting. Just getting logged in again and trying to make sure I meet all the requirements to access different areas of the forum, i.e. M2M, messaging vendors, etc.. Thinking maybe my account was inactive for so long that I need to do whatever the noobie steps are again.
I've traveled and lived overseas for the past several years. I'm happy to be back in the good ol' US of A at the moment and looking to do some repairs/ mods and update the quiver. Got the itch at the moment, need the prescription.
In any case, I've been researching a couple of watches I plan to buy shortly.
I'm pretty well 95% decided on a Clean factory 116610LV. I've wanted a hulk for years, but apparently I never purchased enough Rolex's from AD's to rise to the top of the list + the premium over list was exorbitant last time I looked at gen on grey/ used market b4 ruling it out for the time being... and it looks like the Hulk rep game has come along pretty nicely. Also, I'm pretty well decided on giving a new TD a try. @Elliot Black / Andiot has got some nice prices and the reviews are looking grade A from what I've read. I'm planning to pick up a 116519 Daytona, too. I really love the YG Pikachu, followed closely by the Ghost version. I'm leaning Clean factory here too, but still need to research movements and comparisons on these models compared to BTF or whatever other top runners are out there. My only hesitation here is on the wearability/ durability of the YG... which I don't have a lot of confidence in. Having it custom plated would seem to be the safe bet, not sure yet if it would be outside of what I'd consider reasonable cost and complication in my eyes, need to do more research here. Find someone recommended in the states perhaps so I don't have to ship overseas after arrival. Or perhaps if it would be worth my time/ within my technical reach to DIY a more durable good looking yellow gold plating, probably not though. I wouldn't mind a little advice about how best to go about acheiving a best bang for the buck YG 116519. I'll continue to read threads and do research on my own of course, but I wouldn't mind being pointed in a direction that might make that process more direct, if anyone is so inclined. If durable gold plating is too complicated or expensive, I'll probably forego that dreamy gold version for now and do a ghost instead.
Lastly and in closing, god willing, for any poor souls that have read this far... I tried to get a couple of my daily beater/ travel watches serviced recently and it has been a harrowing experience. Couple shops that I knew years ago in this area (SLC, Utah) aren't around anymore and the new shops I sought out didn't want to take the service job on a Ginault Ocean Rover (first version) and an old 114060 sub rep... don't remember the factory, but it's been a decent beater.. it's the Supreme F'em dial. I did eventually find a generic watch shop that said they could do the job, but first day back and the Ginault loses about 30 minutes every two hours if it doesn't completely stop/ get stuck. The sub had new spring bars installed, turns out they were shoulderless/ double shouldered...err no flanges anyway... so they're stuck in there now... tools don't grab, floss doesn't fit through the lug/ end link clearance, couldn't break the bars using wrapped pliers. Oh, and the bezel is completely seized... oh and the weld on on the clasp broke a half hour after putting it on... lol. Anyway, if anybody can make a referral for a watchsmith in the Salt Lake valley that might be good for this type of maintenance, or even the gold plating job on a new daytona. I'd appreciate that as well as any recommendations that come to mind that might be helpful with this saga of a first post. Will employ more brevity in the future. Thanks for coming to my TED talk, God bless your soul, and hey there to the watch lovers of RWI!

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
eboy-ralph.gif

Hello and WELCOME from the official RWI reception desk!

You are receiving this introduction because you either posted in the "new members say hi" section or —for the first time(s)— elsewhere. In the latter case, consider introducing yourself in the aforementioned section.

If you haven't already, please make sure to read all relevant sticky threads. They contain important and essential information such as the forum rules! Most importantly the sales rules, because you will NOT yet be eligible / allowed to sell unless you meet certain criteria / are certified first.

A good starting point is this list of resources on RWI:

Please also take another look at this important sticky that you should already have seen after logging on for the first time:

This quick anti-fraud guide is essential if you are about to order from a dealer for the first time:

If you need any further assistance, feel free to contact me or @Feefo!

We will gladly help, but please allow some time for PM responses as we have lifes outside of RWI!

Reactions: Feefo

DarioM6611

‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Supporter
6/8/23
Italy
New old member here- I joined RWI about six years ago I guess, and bought a few watches from TDs... but was never terribly active in posting. Just getting logged in again and trying to make sure I meet all the requirements to access different areas of the forum, i.e. M2M, messaging vendors, etc.. Thinking maybe my account was inactive for so long that I need to do whatever the noobie steps are again.
I've traveled and lived overseas for the past several years. I'm happy to be back in the good ol' US of A at the moment and looking to do some repairs/ mods and update the quiver. Got the itch at the moment, need the prescription.
I'm pretty well 95% decided on a Clean factory 116610LV. I've wanted a hulk for years, but apparently I never purchased enough Rolex's from AD's to rise to the top of the list + the premium over list was exorbitant last time I looked at gen on grey/ used market b4 ruling it out for the time being... and it looks like the Hulk rep game has come along pretty nicely. Also, I'm pretty well decided on giving a new TD a try. @Elliot Black / Andiot has got some nice prices and the reviews are looking grade A from what I've read. I'm planning to pick up a 116519 Daytona, too. I really love the YG Pikachu, followed closely by the Ghost version. I'm leaning Clean factory here too, but still need to research movements and comparisons on these models compared to BTF or whatever other top runners are out there. My only hesitation here is on the wearability/ durability of the YG... which I don't have a lot of confidence in. Having it custom plated would seem to be the safe bet, not sure yet if it would be outside of what I'd consider reasonable cost and complication in my eyes, need to do more research here. Find someone recommended in the states perhaps so I don't have to ship overseas after arrival. Or perhaps if it would be worth my time/ within my technical reach to DIY a more durable good looking yellow gold plating, probably not though. I wouldn't mind a little advice about how best to go about acheiving a best bang for the buck YG 116519. I'll continue to read threads and do research on my own of course, but I wouldn't mind being pointed in a direction that might make that process more direct, if anyone is so inclined. If durable gold plating is too complicated or expensive, I'll probably forego that dreamy gold version for now and do a ghost instead.
Lastly and in closing, god willing, for any poor souls that have read this far... I tried to get a couple of my daily beater/ travel watches serviced recently and it has been a harrowing experience. Couple shops that I knew years ago in this area (SLC, Utah) aren't around anymore and the new shops I sought out didn't want to take the service job on a Ginault Ocean Rover (first version) and an old 114060 sub rep... don't remember the factory, but it's been a decent beater.. it's the Supreme F'em dial. I did eventually find a generic watch shop that said they could do the job, but first day back and the Ginault loses about 30 minutes every two hours if it doesn't completely stop/ get stuck. The sub had new spring bars installed, turns out they were shoulderless/ double shouldered...err no flanges anyway... so they're stuck in there now... tools don't grab, floss doesn't fit through the lug/ end link clearance, couldn't break the bars using wrapped pliers. Oh, and the bezel is completely seized... oh and the weld on on the clasp broke a half hour after putting it on... lol. Anyway, if anybody can make a referral for a watchsmith in the Salt Lake valley that might be good for this type of maintenance, or even the gold plating job on a new daytona. I'd appreciate that as well as any recommendations that come to mind that might be helpful with this saga of a first post. Will employ more brevity in the future. Thanks for coming to my TED talk, God bless your soul, and hey there to the watch lovers of RWI!
WOW
What a first post!
Much better anyway compared to those who came here only for complaining or looking for the best, super, AAAA...
Welcome on board, you will find tons of information here.
Regarding the Hulk, I saw a Noob V10 for sell at Theonewatches, a couple of weeks ago. Noob was a legendary factory, closed by police raid years ago. I am not an expert,but most of the people here will tell you that the watches made by this factory where stunning. Now VSF and CF are the best for Rolex. For a Submariner I believe VSF better than CF. BTF also good for Daytona, expecially Panda. Regarding YG, I have a Daytona RG, made by CF and I can say is really well made. There are difference in color, but so subtle that are almost indistinguishable at a arm distance. The gold plating is really thin, 3 or 4 micron I guess, so a daily use, expecially on summer, can in fact afflict durability. Use a good soft cloth and clean the watch every day after use. Don't believe at the statement regarding 30 Mt waterproof, because it's just marketing. If you really want to use it in water, have the watch waterproofed by a good watcsmith. Inside the forum there are people that can help you for gold plating an waterproof and all the mod needed.

DarioM6611

‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Supporter
6/8/23
Italy
Hi

Take a look to this interesting comparison, it can help you:

Reactions: SpiritRunner

SpiritRunner

Horology Curious
11/4/18
USA
Thanks again Dario! I read through this several times, probably will again btw haha. I'm coming down on the Clean side every time it seems ... comes down to the dial mostly and a couple other things I don't even remember atm, info overload. I know folks love VSF and they are quality pieces... but I've always had trouble distinguishing the case shape differences that I think put the VSF out front. Not interested in frankening... will probably add a deep crystal from the dealer to the clean. I might put up a WTB for a lightly modded or hybrid Hulk and see if it gets any hits from someone that's already completed all the leg work and just ready to move on from the watch. Cheers!

Reactions: DarioM6611