• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help with mod selection for AP Diver

Xsaf

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/9/15
You have an option of 1AR or 2AR. You need to ask prior to purchase.

Is there significant and visible difference between prof 1xAr and stock JF?

TitleistRolex

Renowned Member
8/12/15
CONUS
getting like a $4000 franken from this forum would mean even professionals would be hard-pressed to find flaws.

if the v7 with mods and gen strap is 95% (visually), then a franken v7 is ~98%. it depends whether or not a 3% closer watch is worth $3000+ to you. those last few steps get exponentially more expensive with minimal gain, like adding a $1300 dial, $900 tachy, $700 hands, $2500 movement, $500 rotor, $900 crystal, $1000 bezel, $2000 SS case, etc, until you get to essentially just franken with only gen parts for at least 80% of the price of a used gen. not to mention the years of waiting for parts and the months and months of modding.

for me, I have an orange 15710 AP diver that I’m slowly adding gen parts to. I have a bunch of other watches I wear (some gen and some frankens over $5000) and I STILL love wearing my orange diver the most (cost of mods and watch so far ~$1100).

just wear what you think fits you best my man. there’s watches that look great in pics but not so much on your wrist and vice versa. the beauty of this hobby is that the only opinion that matters is that of the wearer.

Or just buy quetips bunble bee [emoji106]

Sent from the RWI mobile app

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
My plans are:

- swiss low beat mod the cheap way (no powermatic)
- mikey dw
- full revision(service) as its already in mvmt swap included
- RELUME! the rep lume is same crap as per gen - i want more lume, even if its not same weak lume as gen

i wont switch dial, crystal or cyclops as i dont see any improvement in terms of gen-like.

one question remaining:

1) can the dial be turned a few degrees during re-assembling?
2) Can the inner Tachy get aligned to the new position of the dial then?

D

d4m.test

The stock cyclops has a blue tint that's easy to see.

TitleistRolex

Renowned Member
8/12/15
CONUS
Anyone on the forums do AP Brushing as gen? I know it is easier to get done with rolex because the gens are easily acquired as opposed to the AP divers to reference to

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
As mentioned in my thread:

Just an update as I have been getting tons of PM's with regards to upgrading the V7 Diver, there are TONS of threads out there with people that have different opinions with different V7 builds, but I figured i'm in no place to provide my input in other threads other than my own.

The V7 diver is a VERY good rep out of the box. Most of us need to understand that the Audemars Piguet brand is commonly known and owned by people who make good money. There is no need to impress those that are around us because the only people who would be able to tell it apart from a Gen is those who own a Gen. But even then, he/she should be wearing it on their wrist, comparing it side-by-side. You must have a good eye. Similar to how a single character in the Times New Roman font is hard to tell apart from a single character in the Arial font. It's the same for the numerical font issue with the V7 Divers.

However, if you do wish to proceed with modding the watch, I would only recommend doing the necessary 'mods'. In my opinion, Swiss Low-Beat (for correct sweep, and added reliability) & correct DW Font is all you will need. After those mods, save the rest of the funds that you plan on spending on the watch and move on with another project. Trust me when I say this, as I've learnt it the hard way.

There is a reason why this piece is already in the "Super-Rep" category due to its high level of replication. What plays a bigger role in making this watch come off more "Authentic" solely relies on how you dress and carry the piece. You can have a Genstein V7 Diver w/Gen Dial, but if you do not carry it well, people would easily be able to tell that it's a rep.

I'm going to address the common questions below:

- Is the Crystal 1AR or 2AR?
The crystal is 1AR with the AR coated from the inside of the crystal. There is no need to go 2AR. It will not be Gen-Like.

- How about the cyclops?
The cyclops is also 1AR with an invisible AR tint. Sometimes, the JF/HFAC/Noob comes in different variations with different hues/clarity/magnification. However, I have found the HFAC Crystal to be very good. It's thicker than the JF, and is ALMOST colourless.

- What's Powermatic 80?
Powermatic 80 is also known as ETA caliber C07.111 which is a heavily modified Swiss ETA 2824-2. I don't know the grade of the movement as Tissot hasn't announced anything with regards to the movement, however Tissot has recently released a Powermatic 80 Chronometer which is a Chronometer grade movement. For the most part, my watch keeps very good time. At +/- 3-5 seconds per 3-4 weeks. I was surprised. It is the easiest 21,600bph swap without having much watchsmith experience. They are known to be ticking time bombs but just like vehicles, an 'unreliable' vehicle with proper maintenance and oil change will outlast a Toyota without frequent maintenance. Maybe.

An alternative is a Swiss 2824. I would opt for the top/elabore-grade for reliability and do a low-beat swap. They are easier to work on in comparison to the Powermatic 80's even though they are both 2824's.

- What's the best dial for the ROO Diver?
If you want the ultimate Diver, go with a Gen Dial. This will require a lot more work than you think, and it's not as easy as "just cut the feet".
Otherwise, see below.

- 15703 is Closed Caseback (Diver V7)
Swirly Dial - JF is good enough, but Noob V3.5 was apparently a better version due to it's wet look. IMO, not worth the upgrade. Nobody's gonna call you out to tell you that you don't have a dial that looks wet enough.

- 15710 is Open Caseback (Miyota Versions I believe)
Flat Dial - Dial from HFAC Ceramic Dial - an expensive, not period-correct option.
Keep in mind that Miyota movements are noisy, and are much less preferred. This is why people would rather prefer the V7 (2824) over the V8/V2 (Japanese Miyota) as the Dial and Date window are all different. - I could be wrong with this info as i'm not 100% sure.

Some people have created a Hybrid 15710/15703. Flat Dial, CCB. It's a really good option, but also very costly. Not period correct, but most Gen-Like out of all other configurations. Just keep it on your wrist.