• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help needed - Changing Straps on a Panerai Carbotech PAM 1118

luminarae

Looking Around
23/2/24
Hi RWI community.

Have been lurking a while and finally decided to dive in and get my first rep, which is the one in the title. Wanted to change the straps on this watch to a better fitting one (small wrists), but I can't for my life figure out how to do it. It seems that most carbotech models should be using the spring bar system for Panerai watches (as far as I can tell), but no matter how much I push there seems to be no give in the spring. Would love it if anyone could provide any advice on this. Thanks in advance!

Unknownwatchmaker

Renowned Member
Certified
27/11/15
Boston, MA
I can no speak specifically to the carbotechs (i have all the other materials ;) but from my experience it is always either a spring bar or more likely a screw. If it is not the former then it should be the latter. Best of luck! Swapping straps is the best way to change the feel of the watch, and an easy upgrade for any rep.

luminarae

Looking Around
23/2/24
Thanks for the insight! Figured it would be a springbar, but I can't get it to budge no matter how hard I push on the divot. Also see no obvious screwheads despite using strong flashlights to shine a light on the bar holes, so this thing has got me pretty stumped!

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Are you using a proper spring bar tool? Much easier to locate & apply leverage with them. if not.

Reactions: @(^_^)@

nikefit

Known Member
16/1/12
If i'm not mistaken, the lug holes on the carbotech reps are fake (they will not go through no matter how much you push on it). You should remove the spring bar through the gaps on the strap itself. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Unknownwatchmaker

Renowned Member
Certified
27/11/15
Boston, MA
Thanks for the insight! Figured it would be a springbar, but I can't get it to budge no matter how hard I push on the divot. Also see no obvious screwheads despite using strong flashlights to shine a light on the bar holes, so this thing has got me pretty stumped!
Yeah, the head of the screw pin should be very obvious on the side of the lugs. I am not sure what other type of locking mechanism the panerais use — they do not have the integrated spring bars like the new AP ROOs, etc.

might be helpful to post a picture

Reaps

-
25/9/22
You need to press both sides of spring bar in not just one side

And have proper tools you can crack the carbon fiber case at the lugs if you apply enough leverage in the wrong area. These are not steel cases.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Should be normal springbars.

Did you buy the watch new or second hand? Just asking, because if it was second hand somebody could have made the mistake of using springbars AND tubes. The latter are only intended for models with screw in mechanism. In that case there is not enough space between lug and tube to get to the shoulders of the spring bar with any removal tool and it is a pain in the neck to remove the straps. Almost impossible without destroying the strap and/or the tube.

Be very careful though as said above and don't use too much force. The carbon can crack or break easily and then your whole case is bricked.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
If i'm not mistaken, the lug holes on the carbotech reps are fake (they will not go through no matter how much you push on it). You should remove the spring bar through the gaps on the strap itself. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
This - the holes are fakenand don’t go through the lugs. If try and push them you’ll snap the lug off. You need to take the spring bars off as though it doesn’t have drilled lugs because it doesn’t.