• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help identifying vintage Seiko 5

farrukh2102

Horology Curious
26/1/24
Hi everyone, first time post to this forum.

First of all I'm not a watch expert, I am newbie and I might say some dumb things.:)

Hope you can help me in identifying a particular make and mode of vintage Seiko 5 with a red shield and green dial. (please see attached images). Would anyone know the make and model? And is this watch still available to buy outside of Ebay.

Really appreciate any pointers or advice.

Thnx.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I'm no expert on vintage Seikos, but yours looks to me like one of the "Mumbai Specials" from Ebay. They're generally genuine Seiko movements, sometimes with new dials and sometimes new cases. The color schemes and dial layouts are best described as "Bollywood inspired," lol.

I've seen them selling for anywhere from $5 to over $100. They claim to be serviced, but that's questionable.

That said, the Seiko movements in them are damn near indestructable, known to last for decades of abuse without service.

I wouldn't buy it as an investment, or a collectible, but if you like the style and the price is good enough, they make decent everyday watches or beaters.

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
I'm no expert on vintage Seikos, but yours looks to me like one of the "Mumbai Specials" from Ebay.

I wouldn't buy it as an investment, or a collectible, but if you like the style and the price is good enough, they make decent everyday watches or beaters.
^ This. 100% agreement.

Reactions: farrukh2102

farrukh2102

Horology Curious
26/1/24
I'm no expert on vintage Seikos, but yours looks to me like one of the "Mumbai Specials" from Ebay. They're generally genuine Seiko movements, sometimes with new dials and sometimes new cases. The color schemes and dial layouts are best described as "Bollywood inspired," lol.

I've seen them selling for anywhere from $5 to over $100. They claim to be serviced, but that's questionable.

That said, the Seiko movements in them are damn near indestructable, known to last for decades of abuse without service.

Thank you for the explaination, I will steer clear of these Mumbai Specials. :(

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Thank you for the explaination, I will steer clear of these Mumbai Specials. :(
They're really not bad if you manage your expectations. I have a few, just don't overpay and don't think you're getting more of a bargain than you are. Seiko really does make a fantastic movement, and if you like how the watch looks, it's worth a small investment.

Reactions: farrukh2102