• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hello! New to RWI (but not new to reps)...are there any other ladies here?

cat_fashion

Known Member
Certified
5/7/22
United States
I lurk on this site a lot and decided its probably time to say "hi." So...hi!

I'm not really a Rolex gal (nothing against the Rolex lovers though) — my watch reps so far tend to be Cartier, and I've got my eye on a couple of JLCs. I own gen watches too, some of them very nice (including a Cartier - I'm an unapologetic fan of their design style), but the rep watch world really opened up a whole new world of possibilities. I just really like watches.

Part of why I wanted to finally say hello is that I 'm super curious whether there are other ladies here? I know watch communities tend to be very dude-ly, and rep watch world maybe more so, but surely there's got to be at least a few other women here! What's the deal?

Allure

Word Game Queen
Certified
15/3/18
venus

I'm not really a Rolex gal (nothing against the Rolex lovers though) — my watch reps so far tend to be Cartier, and I've got my eye on a couple of JLCs. I own gen watches too, some of them very nice (including a Cartier - I'm an unapologetic fan of their design style), but the rep watch world really opened up a whole new world of possibilities. I just really like watches.

Part of why I wanted to finally say hello is that I 'm super curious whether there are other ladies here? I know watch communities tend to be very dude-ly, and rep watch world maybe more so, but surely there's got to be at least a few other women here! What's the deal?
Hi hi, I am one of the women here. Welcome :)

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Guns N Roses GIF

From your friendly neighbourhood….
Unimpressed The Big Lebowski GIF by Working Title

I know watch communities tend to be very dude-ly, and rep watch world maybe more so, but surely there's got to be at least a few other women here! What's the deal?

Reactions: P..DR..D

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Hello and welcome! Nice having you here and looking forward to your "un-dudely" point of view on everything here.
For what it's worth, I think Cartier is a bit underrated by most dudes, but the tank is such a timeless design.

Mrjohnsonuk

Looking Around
31/8/22
So yeah had the link for awhile now, I have a few Scg reps including yatchmaster blue dial red ticker (GMF) chocolate Dial Daytona on oysterflex (BTF) and a new skydweller blue dial on jubilee (Noob v2).
A few shitters bought just to gauge the difference.

MegsNoneYa

Looking Around
3/9/22

I just got here via Reddit after a ladies watch guide was posted on another rep sub I’m active in. I followed Reptime for a while but never took the dive because it felt really “dude-ly” and somewhat uninviting. I made my first purchase with geektime the other day so I guess I’m in the watch game now!

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
I just got here via Reddit after a ladies watch guide was posted on another rep sub I’m active in. I followed Reptime for a while but never took the dive because it felt really “dude-ly” and somewhat uninviting. I made my first purchase with geektime the other day so I guess I’m in the watch game now!
Well hang on to something cause this rabbit hole is a slippery one…

P..DR..D

KING OF BALD ARMS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire

Worth checking these out for future purchases perhaps :)

Reactions: Ecender

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/16
Not sure why gender matters/why it’s mentioned, but I’m a guy so maybe I don’t get it. In general, watches are made mostly for men, all the big makers (Rolex, Omega, IWC, etc) mostly cater towards men.

Love seeing a good watch on a woman though, and they’re coming out with newer and better models for women luckily.

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/16
Check the Rolex Cellini, this would look good on a small wrist, and doesn’t look like most Rolexes. IWC has some good ones too.

MegsNoneYa

Looking Around
3/9/22
Not sure why gender matters/why it’s mentioned, but I’m a guy so maybe I don’t get it. In general, watches are made mostly for men, all the big makers (Rolex, Omega, IWC, etc) mostly cater towards men.

Love seeing a good watch on a woman though, and they’re coming out with newer and better models for women luckily.
Like you said, most watches are made for men so having other women to share info on watches specifically made for women is important. Especially where to find them.

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
"most watches are made for men" is a relative statement which I do not agree with 100 %. They are made for a purpose and/or following a design style. The aesthetic outcome then appeals more to the male population, but that doesn't mean they are made for them. A gold Daytona looks wonderful on ladies' wrists. Obviously, it's unlikely that a woman will wear a big pilot, but, hey, I won't either.
What is made for men is the marketing, that is sexist, which is a pity because it leaves women with the subdued, diminutive watch style. That is bs. I see some (not enough unfortunately) of modern young women who fortunately don't fall for the marketing and wear watches because they like them or because of a stylish decision (yes, appearance, but lots of men do the same). In this respect, big chronographs seem to be the style of choice, gold, steel, blacks, which is interesting, and fun because I imagine the supermacho in doubt if wearing a +44mm pilot, a similarly big diver, or a rainbow Daytona.

Grapeshot

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
10/3/18
Wales, UK
Does size matter anymore? It was ‘traditional’ for ladies to have small, dainty timepieces while the men often looked for the largest diameter they could comfortably get on their wrist. Now you see all sizes and designs of watches worn by everyone regardless of their gender orientation. Why should anyone be surprised if ladies who go diving have a submariner on their wrist; what are we meant to expect, a dainty diamond studded Cartier with a sapphire crown while plumbing the depths of the ocean?

I’m in agreement with MegsNoneYa as I don’t see that gender comes into it any more. Yes, I’m sure that these forums are predominantly male served but that really shouldn’t be the case. While my wife wears a Rolex rep Oyster Day Date which I bought for her, she is reluctant to take membership on any one of the forums. Still can’t find out why but I suspect that some of the humour and banter is not her style and in some cases high testosterone. I’d be interested if some of the ladies here could voice their opinion on that subject. Although our avatars keep an element of anonymity so we don’t know the gender split, and quite rightly too, forums like this would benefit greatly from a participation of all groups.

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/16
"most watches are made for men" is a relative statement which I do not agree with 100 %. They are made for a purpose and/or following a design style. The aesthetic outcome then appeals more to the male population, but that doesn't mean they are made for them. A gold Daytona looks wonderful on ladies' wrists. Obviously, it's unlikely that a woman will wear a big pilot, but, hey, I won't either.
What is made for men is the marketing, that is sexist, which is a pity because it leaves women with the subdued, diminutive watch style. That is bs. I see some (not enough unfortunately) of modern young women who fortunately don't fall for the marketing and wear watches because they like them or because of a stylish decision (yes, appearance, but lots of men do the same). In this respect, big chronographs seem to be the style of choice, gold, steel, blacks, which is interesting, and fun because I imagine the supermacho in doubt if wearing a +44mm pilot, a similarly big diver, or a rainbow Daytona.
Of course the actual watch might be able to be worn by men or women, but by saying “made for men”, I meant exactly what you pointed out: most designs follow an asthetic that’s popular amongst men, and most of the advertising is directly targeted towards men.

Reactions: Feefo

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Of course the actual watch might be able to be worn by men or women, but by saying “made for men”, I meant exactly what you pointed out: most designs follow an asthetic that’s popular amongst men, and most of the advertising is directly targeted towards men.
Yep, bs marketing, mainstream aesthetic popular among men + women watch aesthetic is a cliche with small, diminutive, subtle or glittery design, I guess it's annoying to be placed in a category: oh, you're a woman, so here's a plain 26mm two-hander with a mauve dial, no indices...
Really a pity because that's also the reason so many women keep distance to the watch world, they can't identify.

cat_fashion

Known Member
Certified
5/7/22
United States
Yep, bs marketing, mainstream aesthetic popular among men + women watch aesthetic is a cliche with small, diminutive, subtle or glittery design, I guess it's annoying to be placed in a category: oh, you're a woman, so here's a plain 26mm two-hander with a mauve dial, no indices...
Really a pity because that's also the reason so many women keep distance to the watch world, they can't identify.
Yes, it's this exactly! Most women's watches have a really narrow set of style options that are usually some combination of the following: quartz, tiny (30mm and smaller), mother of pearl, pink, and diamond covered or accented. That's not to say that I hate diamonds and tiny watches — there are some I like quite a bit. And I don't categorically dislike quartz. It would just be nice to have more options — I see the wide range of watches made with aesthetics to appeal primarily to men and I feel envious!

Not sure why gender matters/why it’s mentioned, but I’m a guy so maybe I don’t get it.
I think you're asking an honest question here. I can see how it would be hard to pinpoint if you aren't experiencing the limitations first hand.

For me it matters for a few reasons. For one thing, finding on-the-wrist pics of watches for ladies is extremely difficult because there just aren't many women in the watch world, or if there are, they're not participating in the online watch communities in great numbers. So, fewer pictures get posted of this kind of thing, making it difficult for us to find additional reference photos.

It's also hard to find discussions around watches that are sized well for smaller wrists. I realize there are some smaller wristed men who aren't into big watches, and I definitely read posts from those folks with interest. But my sweet spot watch size range is 32mm-36mm, and I find that even a lot of the "smaller" men's watches still begin at 38mm.

And lastly, it's the thing I mention above - such a high proportion of watches are made with the male aesthetic in mind, and so many women's watches are made with limited style options. So having more women in the community to talk to means more eyes looking out for a wider range of styles that might be appealing to women, or at least that are more gender neutral.

Reactions: bhehe6813 and Feefo

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
Yes, it's this exactly! Most women's watches have a really narrow set of style options that are usually some combination of the following: quartz, tiny (30mm and smaller), mother of pearl, pink, and diamond covered or accented. That's not to say that I hate diamonds and tiny watches — there are some I like quite a bit. And I don't categorically dislike quartz. It would just be nice to have more options — I see the wide range of watches made with aesthetics to appeal primarily to men and I feel envious!

I think you're asking an honest question here. I can see how it would be hard to pinpoint if you aren't experiencing the limitations first hand.

For me it matters for a few reasons. For one thing, finding on-the-wrist pics of watches for ladies is extremely difficult because there just aren't many women in the watch world, or if there are, they're not participating in the online watch communities in great numbers. So, fewer pictures get posted of this kind of thing, making it difficult for us to find additional reference photos.

It's also hard to find discussions around watches that are sized well for smaller wrists. I realize there are some smaller wristed men who aren't into big watches, and I definitely read posts from those folks with interest. But my sweet spot watch size range is 32mm-36mm, and I find that even a lot of the "smaller" men's watches still begin at 38mm.

And lastly, it's the thing I mention above - such a high proportion of watches are made with the male aesthetic in mind, and so many women's watches are made with limited style options. So having more women in the community to talk to means more eyes looking out for a wider range of styles that might be appealing to women, or at least that are more gender neutral.

Instead of looking for wrist shots of watches on a womans wrist, might I suggest you have a watch of some female watch enthusiasts on YouTube instead? There are quite a few out there at the moment with the sphere of influence growing every day.

I watch Jenni Elle quite a bit and really enjoy her videos, her reviews are in depth, without feeling robotic or "manufactured". She reviews a range of different watch types from ultra high end to cost cost effective beginner watches too. This could be a good way for you to gauge what watches would look well proportioned on your wrist, but as always, the size of a watch is personal preference.

Good luck with your search!