• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Have people tested waterproofness of reps?

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
DarthAlex tested my Sean case YM back in the day to 20 bar. That well over 600 feet.

6itdz9.jpg

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
This is very true. I find most of the time you need to replace rep caseback gaskets in submariners with stock size gaskets which are thicker. The rep ones are too skinny and probably aren’t going to seal properly. The deciding factor of the watch being even water resistant is the tolerence to which it’s made. A cheap rep will be very hard to make waterproof while a good rep like an ARF will prob pass basic waterproofing tests as long as the watch is assembled correctly. Greasing seals helps a bit in keeping the water out but if it’s a poorly build watch then all the grease in the world won’t keep the water out. For my vintage Rolex I use Gen crown and tube and that’s waterproof. Then I use Rolex thickness caseback gaskets and make sure the crystal presses on tightly and then I’ve never had a problem swimming with them.

This..^

Robert11

15/11/15
Yeah tested a DHgate panda Daytona and the crystal popped out. Fortunately did not ge wet and I was able to press it back in. I would not bother trying to water proof the cheap DHgate watches. Good quality reps generally are water proof but you should test it to be sure.

As far as testers, you can build a very high quality tester yourself. See below. Just skip to the end where you use a water filter and NOT the Nalgene bottle.

Build a Pressure Tester for 30 Dollars
https://forum.replica-watch.info/showthread.php?t=28489

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

fettyrepz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
20/8/15
UK - MK
If you're from the UK, you can literally go to any watch place and ask them to carry this out.

I would recommend telling them to only test to a certain level though!

cccrolex

Horology Curious
4/3/19
Canada
i have a 90$ day date from dhgate, seller claims 80% waterproof?? i took a shower wearing it and also put it in a cup of water 20 minutes each and it still works perfect a couple weeks later
i know this doesnt mean its water proof but at least i know if i dropped it water for a short period of time it should be okay. hope this helps!

Sent from the RWI App

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I will give you guys a laugh. I bought a tester last month. After reading the instructions and watching a video I was all set. My first 3 bar test was on my Breguet Type XX. It leaked bubbles like a drowning man with cement shoes. Now I have to pick another watch to test. It will be a Gen Breitling ..I know it will pass.