• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Have I been sold a fake ETA 2892-2 mechanism in a Conquistad

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
Please can you you have a look at the FM Conquistador I have for sale in the VIP section.

I bought it recently from a reputable dealer and asked him on more than one occasion to confirm it was a genuine ETA 2892-2 movement, which he did. There is an ETA and 2892-2 stamp on the mechanism, but Taka who I know knows his stuff on these mechanisms says its a Seagull ST18.

Before I get back to the dealer with all guns blazing I would be grateful for a second and third opinion.

If it's an ST18 why has it got the stamps on - are they really that elaborate?

Regards,

Tom.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Tak knows his stuff, and from looking at the pics your 2892-2 stamp is actually laser etched, and the shock system is differant. Paul/Womart was famous for selling these movements, could be silix was misled by the maker.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Ask the dealer if he knew, If it's Silix, he is just a seller. You should either send it back or get an adjustment on the price.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I agree... Could be silix misled by the makers (this happened before... about more than a year ago)... and this is how Sash (if you remember) was removed as a dealer here.

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
Thanks for your help guys. Silix has always been good to me and I trust him so there must have been a mistake.

I will let him know and try and get a refund on it.

Thanks for your help.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Well if anyone is selling a watch with a purported Eta 2892 for $328.00 you can beleive it's some form of clone movement.

The genuine movement alone, purchased from the Czar of Oakland cost $236.00.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Trusty a liar......................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Tommy let us know how this pans out.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
watchbuff said:
Trusty a liar......................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Tommy let us know how this pans out.

jandrew is just a lowly sales man. remember? :roll:

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
HU,

The pics are over on the VIP sales board - check them out.

It was actually Jay from Silix who I bought it from. He has since said (and I totally believe him) that he bought it in good faith thinking it was genuine. He has offered me a refund and he should be applauded for that.

saying that - i've now picked up a 2 year old Certina DS automatic swiss watch with a genuine 2892. Do you think I should swap them out and flog this moody seagull (as a seagull of course not a 2892!!!!)

Let me know what y'all think.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
I would take a partial refund from Silex...Swap the movements and call it a day... 8)

Well worth the effort IMO...

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
I would do it if the watch was bigger but the size is just too small for me. I think i'm just going to sell the 2892 separately.

Jay has offered to give me a no quibble refund which I think it good service. Not sure how many dealers would have done it without argument.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
I am not at all surprised by Jays offer to refund you. This works out well.