• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hamilton Khaki Base Jump Chrono review

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Our hero:
Hamilton Khaki Base Jump Automatic Chrono
Ref: H79786333
Diameter: 51,6mm
Height: 14,7mm
Case material: Titanium (DLC as a kind of PVD process)
Introduction: Baselworld 2009
It is lefty chrono - quite rare by this fact. Lefty chrono operated using rotating bezel instead of usual 7750 buttons, consider that.. ;)

The watch was introduced in Baselworld in 2009, together with bronze version. Market introduction was supposed to be in September 2009 but everything got late and customers registered to get this watch first - got their watches just before Christmas. After that, Hamilton decided to recall it from the market.

This is very uniqe watch even in a gen world - this version was pulled out from the market quite soon after release. Official Hamilton's explanation was "manufacturing problems" without any specific details. Since the watch is unique in the way it triggers chrono functions, it was possible something was not designed right way.

I found some explanation, there is a quote from WUS:

"The result of my extensive search is that the BJ (Base Jump) chrono is gone forever !
About 70 were brought into the US, 30 of them had bezel failure, and the
rest were recalled. I am supprised that such a unique, magnificent, watch
was not fixed and reissued. Dealers say they could sell all they could get.
There was a LOT of work in producing this watch, I can't believe that the
project was cancelled. (...)"

In opinion of AstroAvia (a gen owner who disassembled his watch), it should be enough to oil the bezel ring to minimize friction and avoid problems. Original part of thread here (sorry for other forum link):
http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?p=1842469#post1842469

Personally, I think the problem with technical/economical aspect of producing this watch was tied to the watch manufacturer itself. Consider these:
- you can buy non-PVD version with the same bezel function
- the rep is incredibly close to the gen, since it is a gen in most parts, probably! (except the movement and hands?)
- there are no other version of this watch available as a rep (no bronze, no non-PVD one…)

To me it looks like Hamilton resigned from this particular manufacturer for uknown reasons, technical or more likely - economical, since the production is being continued somewhere else. The original manufacturer was left with leftovers of this particular model and now they decided to introduce it as a rep to reuse otherwise 'dead stock'. Good for us ;)

====
I found main reason for the watch to be pulled from the market. That was unexpected explanation behind the mysterious rarity of this watch. Hamilton was accused of patent infringement by Rolex on the matter of bezel-operations. Rolex patented the invention with its "ring command bezel" thing and Hamilton was forced to withdraw the Base Jump Chrono entirely from the market and from the offer.
====

To achieve Swiss Made badge, Hamilton can produce casesets overseas, import parts into Switzerland, add ETA movements, assembly it all together and test to achieve various level of costs to be spent in this country, as required. If they are smart, the parts production is greatly diversificated geographically, preventing various producers to 'connect the ends' and introduce reps in this case. Sometimes something can go wrong with this policy, as being shown in our example ;)

Now to the review. If the caseset, dial etc. are not from 'leftovers stock' - they must be from 'restarted production'. Let's pictures talk:

01-2.jpg

02-2.jpg

03-2.jpg

Gens:
04-1.jpg

06.jpg

Rep:
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

And the best way of presentation - a small movie:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49M-3vUpVg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49M-3vUpVg[/ame]

Bezel operations:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtmZxYlQPZ0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtmZxYlQPZ0[/ame]

Bottom line: I DO LOVE THIS WATCH. AstroAvia said the same and now I understand his statement. It was unexpected to me. Base Jump Chrono was interesting for two reasons: unique bezel chrono operations and 50 mm big, DLC'ed Titanium case with "clous de paris" pattern outside, which is a thing of beauty. In person - it rocks! Multilayer dial looks great, too. It wears quite lite due to titanium used. About the Asian 7750 - strange looking, very clean with all bridges sandblasted? Looks like it. It doesn't look like ANY of A7750 I have - this one looks like a Swiss one, prepared to be shown through the back of the watch. It doesn't have any ETA stamps but You actually start to look for them. And these sandblasted brigdes and plates and mirror-like (chromed?) moving elements. Nice quality and runs +3sec/day almost regardless the position.

If it is 'limited old stock' thing, go and buy one while still available :)

As for Hamilton rotor thing…. it is enough to go to chrono24.com and search for 'hamilton 7750 rotor' ;) An option for the rep maximalists.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Excellent!!! I had JUST set my sights on this baby and was looking for info. Thank you.

Rep given!!! :thumbsup:

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Could you provide more lume shots, please and thank you???

jcrry2

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/09
thanks for making a video of the bezel actions, I have been wanting to see this and its pretty cool.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
I found main reason for the watch to be pulled from the market. That was unexpected explanation behind the mysterious rarity of this watch. Hamilton was accused of patent infringement by Rolex on the matter of bezel-operations. Rolex patented the invention with its "ring command bezel" thing and Hamilton was forced to withdraw the Base Jump Chrono entirely from the market and from the offer.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
was kind of hard to take but I managed ;)
lumeH.jpg

Thanks again Polonus!

The Superlume looks sufficiently torch like and I'm inching closer to my credit card...

Did you apply mineral oil to the inside of the bezel (and if so, how)??

Any other info???!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
I did not apply any oil inside. Opened it but the mechanizm looked ok without the need of oiling so I decided it is better not to attract any dust etc. by making internals sticky. When got information about Rolex patent case, now I think blaming the "bezel problems" as the reason of market withdraw was just a nice try-to-explain thing, maybe even invented by AD themselves. So I stopped worrying about it and I am happy with the watch, really.

jcrry2

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/09
This is really cool watch, I cant beleive that I have seen it more.
51mm is a big watch. It doesnt look that big, what size is your wrist?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Puretime shows a flat bearing (swiss-like)
Hamilton-2012-04-16-07_enl.jpg

So what's really coming ?

I kind of like it (we're in a Porsche Design style design, which I love), but 51mm... Hell !

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Does it mean they would have used the gen pics ? :thinking:

Rexama

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/15
Hi I going to buy my first rep and I choose this one, do you think I made a good choise? Best

Diesellolle

Looking Around
27/8/15
Hi,
i have the same question.... it is a good choice?
it'is expensive for a rep watch considering a price of $320 usd?

ciao

Rexama

6/8/15
I got it and I have to say the watch its great, but Im having a problem whit the strap, its to fragile, 2 times I had to get a replacement, now I order a GEN one from Hamilton (Swatch Group)

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
I got it and I have to say the watch its great, but Im having a problem whit the strap, its to fragile, 2 times I had to get a replacement, now I order a GEN one from Hamilton (Swatch Group)

Really? What exactly did happen to the rep straps? Do you have pictures? My BaseJump is in the watchbox for so long; now I fear finding it with a broken strap. The only straps I had problems with were the ones that came with my IWC Aquatimer 2009: I have two of these watches, and both straps broke in several pieces while the watches were sitting in the box.

Rexama

6/8/15
I orderer from Toro, and the strap was like this

D0208C38-4481-443B-A94F-0BF4E51B7244_zps7jcqswqc.jpg

5D37F4BC-D2AC-44B4-A067-DA1ECE6DCDF8_zpst39pwtpy.jpg

And He send me a replacement strap but after 2 uses it broke again.

0DA34D23-192E-4024-A894-4458542C319D_zpsiolvodbq.jpg

Im in waiting for the GEN strap hope that works.

Best

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
Thank you very much for the pics. Your straps broke just like my IWC ones did, and now I am worried about my BaseJump. Interestingly, these rubber straps have too many details that can - and do - act as strees raisers: diamond patterns, engraved letters, etc.

I own a gen BaseJump and I never liked its straps very much because they are made of sticky rubber that won't slide easily past the strap keepers. I even thought the rep strap was better and considered swapping gen and rep straps, now I am glad I never had the time to do it!

Rexama

6/8/15
I never consider that the strap can be a problem until I have this watch and no other strap will fit.