• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GUG REVIEW #2 - Steinhart Nav B-Uhr

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
I might be getting one of these gratis, details to follow.

Looks real sweet from the pix. Any lume shots?

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06
Jake,

Very nice watch and story.

I love Steihart watch, specially Nav B Uhr, I'd like to know where to find those... with Steinhart dial.

Wear it well.

Max

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
watchbuff said:
I might be getting one of these gratis, details to follow.
Looks real sweet from the pix. Any lume shots?

maxlawbr said:
Jake,
Very nice watch and story.
I love Steihart watch, specially Nav B Uhr, I'd like to know where to find those... with Steinhart dial.
Wear it well.
Max

OK- Some follow up. Here are some lume shots (I took them from another site, they are not of my watch, but the same version)
You can get a Steinhart here: http://www.steinhartwatches.de/ Lots of watches for under $1,000.00
navlum.jpg

navlum1.jpg

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Thanks, for the link.

I thought that Steinhart watches changed the name to Debaufre.

Am I crazy?

Max

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
maxlawbr said:
Thanks, for the link.

I thought that Steinhart watches changed the name to Debaufre.

Am I crazy?

Max

You are not crazy. The long and the short of it is that Gunter sold his watches in the USA under the Steinhart name for a brief period of time before a law suit was brought against him to cease using the Steinhart name.

Gunter assessed the cost of a law suit and determined he could not use the little capital he had saved up by getting envolved in a law suit. Gunter told me at the time, he needed to put his capital back into his company and even though he new he could have won the law suit, it would have been to costly.

On the advice of his lawyer, but against his wishes, he used the name "Debaufre" for his watch line in the USA only. He still goes by "Steinhart" in ever other country.

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Thanks Jake,

Now I have a doubt, and probably you can help me.

This is an easy to find watch in USA? that's because I'll spend my end of the year (xmas and new years eve) in USA (Miami and Orlando).

If so, I'll probably buy the Debaufre, If not, I'll order on line.

Thanks a lot,

Max

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
maxlawbr said:
Thanks Jake,

Now I have a doubt, and probably you can help me.

This is an easy to find watch in USA? that's because I'll spend my end of the year (xmas and new years eve) in USA (Miami and Orlando).

If so, I'll probably buy the Debaufre, If not, I'll order on line.

Thanks a lot,

Max

If it does not matter what name is on the watch fro you, Debaufre is located in Florida - do a web search and you will find them. If you want the Steinhart name on the watch, Gunter will send it Fed X. It takes about three days if he has the watch in stock. You will have to pay a fee to Fed X to cover the VAT. It is usually about $25.00.

maxlawbr

27/9/06
I think Steinhart is more classy.

But probably Debaufre, will mark an era of the company.

You told that the company has a shop in Florida or a distributor?

Thanks a lot.

Max

red71veloce

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/07
I've got a question guys. I am going to buy either the Steinhart or the Debufre 48mm auto pilots watch. I really don't care too much if it says debaufre or steinhart. However, at the current exchange rates, the steinhart seems to be considerably cheaper even with shipping. I have attempted to decipher the customs website to figure what it would cost me to import this $450 watch to no avail. Granted it frustrated me fairly quickly, so I thought I would ask you guys if anyone had a guess as to what the cost above and beyond the watch and shipping?

Hope you can help,

Tracy

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I dunno, Tracy. My Nav.B Chrono was delivered on Saturday and I haven't gotten a tax/duties notice, yet. I will post up here when I do.

You'll probably be better off ordering through Gunter in Germany, though. Keep in mind his prices are inclusive of VAT, so he gives you a 15% discount to help offset that tax, so you'll actually only pay 85% of the published price on the Steinhart website. I think he even gave me 15% off the shipping, as well (just subtracted 15% from the total including shipping, IIRC).

Good luck, they are wonderful watches!

red71veloce

9/12/07
Wow! That is a sweet deal! So are you still expecting a customs invoice? I would have thought that they would not release the goods until the customs levied were paid??? I haqve only had reps and straps delivered and none had a customs bill. I love the chrono, but a little too much for me at the moment! Fit and finish good?

Tracy

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The word I got from other folks that ordered directly through Gunter in Germany was that FedEx sent them a duties bill within a couple weeks of delivery.

We'll see, I guess.

Is this the one you're looking at? -

886454131flieger_automatik.jpg

red71veloce

9/12/07
Yeah, that's her! I have waffled between this and the manual, but most people seem to go manual, and I love the center sweep hand. I think the inner hour ring or at least the dots are lumed. I just thought that even though it is a little busy, it is a bit more of a unique dial. Also, I have a rep 183, which kind of has that simple dial with a 9 o'clock seconds subdial. What are your thoughts? And how was the fit/finish?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The fit/finish of the Steinhart watches is one of the things everyone raves about, my watch is no different. Althought the inside edges of the lugs are a little sharp.

I like that dial, personally. It's busy, but just shy of being too busy, IMO. I think it's a nice choice!

red71veloce

9/12/07
Thanks for the confidence boost! This dial looks alot like the Glashutte Original Senator. That watch is 44mm though. Be sure and post up here when you get that bill! Very interested!

Tracy