• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got Called Out..

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
I wasnt there at the time. But he told a friend of mine, who even played ball with him, saying it was real. But he insisted that it was the type of steel used for it. It was according to him, much cheaper steel. So the groves in the steel gave a different shine too it.. So it was bullocks?

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
I wasnt there at the time. But he told a friend of mine, who even played ball with him, saying it was real. But he insisted that it was the type of steel used for it. It was according to him, much cheaper steel. So the groves in the steel gave a different shine too it.. So it was bullocks?

Yeah it was utter bullshit. The guy had no clue and was throwing darts. I have multiple gen steel Rolexes and once you leave the perfect lighting at the AD it shines and looks like steel. Not more not less. Since you said it was a TT watch it would have been more believable if he told you that the gold color or weight gave it away but telling you it was the 904L "expensive Rolex steel" reflection just shows he was clueless and full of dog shit. Next time don't fall for it and kick him in the pussy.

giphy.gif

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
To the 100% honest, he was probably bluffing and just said that which I actually the only type off “calling out” I’ve really ever seen. It’s when one friend busts another friends chops by saying “oh that’s so fake” even through they have absolutely no idea.

unless he has a substantial Rolex collection. Then I’d believe that maybe he knew what to look for. But if he has one, he has no idea. Most likely.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Hi Guys,

Recently an acquaintance of mine called me sort of out for wearing a fake rolex, but in a good way.
I have a TT vrf sub. He has a gen rolex himself.
He said it was not color that gave it away, but the reflection of the steel caused by sun. He said it was different then with the gen.
Is it possible and easy to see this, or is it just some bollocks? Not that I mind, but just curious about this

Thanks!

Never do gold..two tone or full...you can’t replicate it.

Kingquest_s

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/1/16
CONUS
Be honestly, he said about different shine of gold. He is true. Because even wrap gold does not have same shine as real gold. The gen use 18k gold. I think wrap is 14k. The 14k is light yellow brown while 18k more deeper and darker. A lot the jewelry makers, even Cartier and AD watch told me they dont product 100% gold on their jewerly. Because if you use 100% gold, the shape will be loose and soft. That why they use on 60% of real gold and 40% mix. What mix i really dont know. I bought my wife gen Cartier ring at AD, they even said it too, too keep shape and strong they have to mix otherwise in long run it will loose. That happened to my ring. 100% 18k gold but now i think gold gone down to 80% due to wear, tear, weather and sweat. If i want to wear gold, i will go gen otherwise going steel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

Sl4ve

Horology Curious
26/4/20
I think he attacked to provide the best case of defence. Meaning his watch isn’t genuine either.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
The gold reps don’t always look the same. The color is different. As for steel you can’t tell. The first thing I look for (and the biggest tell over everything else) is the lack of the black hole date window on the new subs reps. No matter how good the date wheel or dial is, if there’s no black hole, it looks fake to me. In this situation he probably just baited you to see what you would say. Also, not saying this is you because I have no clue who you are, but if you are 17 and have no job and drive a 2003 Honda Civic, it’s pretty hard to pull off a new two tone submariner on the wrist. A lot of people will automatically think your watch is fake if it’s WAY out of what looks like something you can afford. Lol. I run a Little nightclub and I see all the kids that come to the club with fake rolexes covered in diamonds and all that and I just laugh because I know they have no money, work at a grocery store and live at home. It’s just funny sometimes. In that case a Tudor rep might be believable but I know they aren’t rocking a $30k Rolex and driving a Rusted out 1993 Buick. Not sure where I’m going with this, but This is just another reason why I should never try to pass off a rep as a genuine.

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
The gold reps don’t always look the same. The color is different. As for steel you can’t tell. The first thing I look for (and the biggest tell over everything else) is the lack of the black hole date window on the new subs reps. No matter how good the date wheel or dial is, if there’s no black hole, it looks fake to me. In this situation he probably just baited you to see what you would say. Also, not saying this is you because I have no clue who you are, but if you are 17 and have no job and drive a 2003 Honda Civic, it’s pretty hard to pull off a new two tone submariner on the wrist. A lot of people will automatically think your watch is fake if it’s WAY out of what looks like something you can afford. Lol. I run a Little nightclub and I see all the kids that come to the club with fake rolexes covered in diamonds and all that and I just laugh because I know they have no money, work at a grocery store and live at home. It’s just funny sometimes. In that case a Tudor rep might be believable but I know they aren’t rocking a $30k Rolex and driving a Rusted out 1993 Buick. Not sure where I’m going with this, but This is just another reason why I should never try to pass off a rep as a genuine.

I get where you are going Dizzy (don't fake it if you don't want to be called out) and totally agree..its like a set of do not do if you wearing a rep.

My question is how did you react..did you take off your Rep and hide afterwards or did you argue?

I have more gens and my rule is to have only one rep. I get called out all the time with my gens (friendly manner), usually by my friends. I get ask "Are they even real?"...I always tell them it's fake (even gens). Why, just to argue with them or mess with them, they have no clue. In reality..no one ever cares but you. The only ones who do are far and are in between, like us. We will know. But other than that...no one cares.

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Calling out was a preemptive move by the friend. It is ridiculous that someone would mention the "shine of steel" which changes drastically with the age of the watch and how many scratches/dings/marks it gets. Next time, I meet the friend again, will call out his watch and then the true RWI-esque comparisons between the watches should be done :D:D Have the friend show his movement and then you tell that the reversing wheels have the wrong shade and shine of purple. Lets see what he/does next ;)

tienbang

19/5/15
It's a lesson learned, OP. I buy/sell reps for a friend of mine and I ALWAYS ALWAYS tell him to do research beyond the brand before you wear your watch around the VPs and C-suites at your company. That way, you're more confident in 2 things:

1. You know more about the brand/model/build of your watch than 95% of the people around you
2. You are prepared to "defend your rep" if you're called out.

He didn't listen to me and was put in the same situation you were with a Cartier Santos I got him with the other guy saying something about how the watch wasn't real because of the way it was sitting on his wrist lol. There was an "I told you so" moment but now he knows better to do more research. Like some of stated on here, if you want to fake the funk you have to have confidence in what you're wearing. If you project as a confident person and wear a watch that your salary can afford with ease no one will try to call you out.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
It's a lesson learned, OP. I buy/sell reps for a friend of mine and I ALWAYS ALWAYS tell him to do research beyond the brand before you wear your watch around the VPs and C-suites at your company. That way, you're more confident in 2 things:

1. You know more about the brand/model/build of your watch than 95% of the people around you

He didn't listen to me and was put in the same situation you were with a Cartier Santos I got him with the other guy saying something about how the watch wasn't real because of the way it was sitting on his wrist lol. There was an "I told you so" moment but now he knows better to do more research. Like some of stated on here, if you want to fake the funk you have to have confidence in what you're wearing. If you project as a confident person and wear a watch that your salary can afford with ease no one will try to call you out.

Lol.

Reactions: stufuse

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK

I literally don’t know anyone who’d give two f**ks about my watch/es real or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GingerBubba

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15

Hmmmm..Knowing the history is good but that still does not defend the ...this looks weird...it only takes one tell to suspect its a fake. 99% of the people already suspect its fake so confidence does play a key, but it can only go so far too. Nothing replicates the real deal unless you have a super franken...with real gen parts..gen is gen.

Wear your rep around the real deal and worst, having them put a real one next to your rep...well..you won't get called out verbally (maybe), but most likely you will get that weird look and laugh. In their minds..they are saying fake fake fake--this is me. I see a lot of fakes. I don't call people out..i politely nod my head and never mention it again. I sit in meetings and rooms with guys who wear nice watches...majority I see are apple or smart watches btw (whatever floats your boat).

I believe you just have to tell people they are not real. You have to let your ego do that. Stufuse said it right...no one cares....wait your wife might...with the ungodly amount you had spent on something fake.

Reactions: stufuse