• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gold wrap durability

innocenti

Renowned Member
16/8/16
Taking into account only ever a replica and cost etc how does the gold wrap on watches hold up over time?

Lots of pictures posted of new watches and hardly worn pre owned but curious how it stands up to real life wear over a long period of a couple of years.

Only ever bought stainless and have reps a few years old with no wear on brushed and polished which can be brought back to life with minimal effort.

Any horror stories of gold wearing off etc?

RX7GP

🦁
Supporter
Patron
Certified
16/2/16
I would never buy any gold rep. Plated or wrapped. Also it will never look like solid gold. Even wrapped ones look warmer.

Here is my experience with BP's "wrapped" gold after few months of use

jffjgj.jpg

Reactions: Hesekiel

architekt

27/1/19
Austria
"Wrapped" ones are mostly trash as after a while literal pieces will come of.

"Plated" ones are pretty good though since most, if not all, of them are not plated with real gold but rather PVD plated with some type of Titanium Nitride that looks like gold but is way more resistant.

Also, if the plating every fades you can simply get it replated by on of our watch smiths that offer that service.

904L

Known Member
Certified
11/9/10
The wrap has never been for me at all. I do wonder if we will see the bug factory’s move over to some solid gold offerings especially Oysterflex etc

21/8/22
The metaverse
I’ve had nothing but positive expierences with gold plated watches. When going gold I think it’s best to buy high end reps, gold wrapped will probably wear off easily in most cases.

Reactions: TESLA760

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
The question cannot be answered accurately since factories have their own processes and quality differences and too many variables in how it’s used.
Some last, many don’t.

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
Have had several both high end and ‘non high end’ reps in gold. Never had a problem. Even use one gold/steel as a beach/pool watch. Had it in a steam sauna as recently as today. Many will definitely last. All mine have been plated not wrapped.

innocenti

Renowned Member
16/8/16
Thanks all. Think I will look to plated if I decide to try two tone

RX7GP

🦁
Supporter
Patron
Certified
16/2/16
I also had some BPs in the past and like rx7 said, they were pretty crap.

However, i simply love my GMF, no matter what others say :)

Reading many good feedbacks on GMF's wrapped version, your watch also looks perfect.

I was going to buy TT wrapped GMF, but my TD told me not to buy wrapped one, strongly suggested plated one instead of wrapped.

Each part is wrapped in different factory, so gold tones may vary between parts (bracelet,bezel,crown), its hard to get fully matching one. But your watch is perfectly picked, nice batch.

Plated ones are not fully plated - not like wrapped ones. Sides are metal, that looks horrible.

So i ordered steel version. Very happy with it, GMF makes amazing DJ's.

Reactions: Itto

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
I don't know, i'm the lèucky owner of a 126711 GMF Wrapped (Rootbeer) , and it's absolutely beautiful !

I own different Gold Plated Watch (PP, AP, Breguet ) and i swear i can see the different 'consistency' of this Wrapped one.

Placebo Effect ?

• Love
Reactions: Karakas

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I don't know, i'm the lèucky owner of a 126711 GMF Wrapped (Rootbeer) , and it's absolutely beautiful !

I own different Gold Plated Watch (PP, AP, Breguet ) and i swear i can see the different 'consistency' of this Wrapped one.

Placebo Effect ?
Got recently a small crush on the root beer, would love to see some irl pics!

• Love
Reactions: Karakas

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Got recently a small crush on the root beer, would love to see some irl pics!
I will do, the watch is this one

I wll take photos ASAP ; i must say anyway that how much i like this watch Rolexes are not for me ...any time i bought one i think the same.

I'm more of a Blancpian / Breguet kign of guy...

Reactions: Feefo

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
No durability, unless you are very gentle with your watches. An accidental knock will scratch the wrap or "gold-plating" and expose the metal underneath. Then, any noob can tell it is a fake.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
No durability, unless you are very gentle with your watches. An accidental knock will scratch the wrap or "gold-plating" and expose the metal underneath. Then, any noob can tell it is a fake.
That's absolutely false. This bracelet is about 4 years old. I wear this at least once a week. It has plenty of scratches and the plating has never worn off.

20220929_150026.jpg

Reactions: Feefo and Itto

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Looking at several TDs Wrapped watches (Trusty , Puretime, InTime, Jtime , etc) , the 90 % + are Steel/Gold configurations....

Do you remember when you could find AP Royal Oak and / or PP Nautilus in Full Gold Wrapping ?

SEEKnDESTROY

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/3/21
Looking at several TDs Wrapped watches (Trusty , Puretime, InTime, Jtime , etc) , the 90 % + are Steel/Gold configurations....

Do you remember when you could find AP Royal Oak and / or PP Nautilus in Full Gold Wrapping ?
Trusty listed a full wrapped Nautilus for $1348

Merdydirty

Known Member
Certified
24/4/22
San Francisco
To me color fade is pushing me away from it, let alone any chipping that could occur if you’re not careful all the time.