• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gold Plating AP

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
My circle of friends have no idea about reps and cannot spot differences between GEN because they don’t know them even though some are GEN owners. Experienced guys in this forum can spot the flaws easily especially with a watch like mine that doesn’t have many GEN parts.
I am also fairly new to this hobby and am learning a lot from you guys. I appreciate this community and I am glad I am a part of it. Have a great day everyone.
[mention]QueTip [/mention]
[mention]legend [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct, most gen owners in real life are CLUELESS about reps. So of course they will not doubt that your watch is gen. But this holds true even if you are wearing a stock rep ROO.
The key point is that it is good enough that the watch passes YOUR standard and nobody else's. So the statement that nobody doubts your watch looks gen, was redundant. Of course, if you start pointing out the flaws on a stock gold ROO like color etc, you are imposing YOUR standard and knowledge on a watch which most gen owners have no clue about.
So it is good enough for you to describe how you feel about the watch and you will never be wrong. But when you start saying how others will not doubt it, it becomes subjective of who the "others" are. If you are standing next to me, for example, I will be able to call your watch out in a heartbeat.
Please enjoy your watch for what it is.

Here is a pic of one of my gold gens taken yesterday (I own about 4 of the gold ones):
ZfKqiP.jpg

My point is that the term "nice watch" applies to both your watch and mine and also to owners of stock and modded reps. Don't worry about "gen-like", there is no such thing as a "gen-like" AP rep or franken. Most are several leagues away once you know how the gen looks and feels in person (and not pictures). Just enjoy your watch for what it is. It is either gen or rep, and there is nothing in the middle.

Reactions: Allure

MFK100

Watchaholic !
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
You are correct, most gen owners in real life are CLUELESS about reps. So of course they will not doubt that your watch is gen. But this holds true even if you are wearing a stock rep ROO.
The key point is that it is good enough that the watch passes YOUR standard and nobody else's. So the statement that nobody doubts your watch looks gen, was redundant. Of course, if you start pointing out the flaws on a stock gold ROO like color etc, you are imposing YOUR standard and knowledge on a watch which most gen owners have no clue about.
So it is good enough for you to describe how you feel about the watch and you will never be wrong. But when you start saying how others will not doubt it, it becomes subjective of who the "others" are. If you are standing next to me, for example, I will be able to call your watch out in a heartbeat.

Here is a pic of one of my gold gens taken yesterday (I own about 4 of the gold ones):
ZfKqiP.jpg

My point is that the term "nice watch" applies to both your watch and mine and also to owners of stock and modded reps. Don't worry about "gen-like", there is no such thing as a "gen-like" AP rep or franken. Most are several leagues away once you know how the gen looks and feels in person (and not pictures). Just enjoy your watch for what it is. It is either gen or rep, and there is nothing in the middle.

Good points mentioned there and [mention]Markaplan [/mention] statement was a figure of speech only to compliment domi’ and tommy’s work, i know he and my self as well do own significant number of collection of gen watches and rest are builds or frankens and damn they are really close. Unless someone in the game, a modder or watch builder . It will be hard to spot with an un trained eye. But ya no one will come out showcasing as it is a gen . It is a hobby at the end of the day. Cheers

Taffybag39

Getting To Know The Place
26/7/19

ZfKqiP.jpg

Many accurate and astute points as always. I would be remiss if I didn’t share my observation that your timepiece appears to be slightly too large for your delicate, yet paradoxically masculine, wrist. I am willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Many accurate and astute points as always. I would be remiss if I didn’t share my observation that your timepiece appears to be slightly too large for your delicate, yet paradoxically masculine, wrist. I am willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

Lol that’s my friend, even when roasting others you do it with such flair. Yes I do have small wrists. About 17.3cm or 6.8”. If and when you’re here in sg I’ll bring it out to show you and if you like it, you’re welcome to purchase it for a..ahem, reasonable price, the definition of which will perennially be a point of conflict for the buyer and seller both. :legend:

Reactions: Allure

Kmmas

7/4/15
This maybe a little off topic here , but since we are talking about gold reps , does anyone know what the weight Dofference is of a gen RG 15400 on strap vs JF RG 15400 on strap?

Last edited:
Reactions: wertman1

um52

Known Member
Certified
11/4/12
Thanks for all the great information. I am looking to start a Rose Gold ROO shortly after getting all the research needed done.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
The closed Caseback Models also with weight increasing with liquid Metal.

Hi [mention]flying-tommy [/mention]
Could you please tell me what you mean by this? Have you found a way to increase the weight of a SS watch? If so, by how much (if you don’t mind me asking)? Bit confused by this statement, otherwise a very informative thread on plating. Thanks.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Hi [mention]flying-tommy [/mention]
Could you please tell me what you mean by this? Have you found a way to increase the weight of a SS watch? If so, by how much (if you don’t mind me asking)? Bit confused by this statement, otherwise a very informative thread on plating. Thanks.

Back then I was looking for a way to make my RGRC Francs (closed Csseback) a little heavier. I just found one way to fill up the caseback with liquid metal.

There is no other way except to use a real gold case.
Of course, the watch still does not come close to the weight of a Gen RGRC. but it is a little heavier (approx. 80g) and since I only wore it on the rubber, it was a good compromise.

As I said, it is only possible with the closed caseback variants.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
This was the reason why I started the plating project. Really miss the RGRC.

It’s a beautiful watch especially with Gen Hands.

At that time there was not really a satisfactory solution to re-gild a rose gold Franken. most companies canceled because it would be too much effort and it would have been extremely expensive.

the problem with Chinese SS is, it's not pure stainless steel.
I had the material examined, there are many inferior metals in our Cases (aluminum, copper ... ..). I think everything is used for the production, refrigerators, aluminum rims ... etc.

this makes the gilding very difficult and it takes a few tricks to achieve good results. Several cases from JF also had different stainless steel materials.

Gen RG Links for comparison.

Just a note. Rose gold (plated) should generally be handled with care. Rose gold contains a copper component for the color. But copper reacts with salt. means no swimming in the sea, or if you sweat heavily, rinse the watch with water.

a3df17223c873c095f297983942df238.jpg

365d1ed75f68e7e82876f5c7c24cbb44.jpg

dff09a7826e7a2ac51904ff733f3b03f.jpg

abda4b55b8a0644fb3767a54a4234a9c.jpg

c0ab32e101217ec32b93b6db320ed0cf.jpg

7da48ce37da2431b3a7415cee6fec6d8.jpg

567620b5933e15e1f3852e8d6a3ae472.jpg

af139e977c960f1bd6035d0066734c33.jpg

26409ab02e374d202464457e1ff3b5fb.jpg

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Of course, the watch still does not come close to the weight of a Gen RGRC. but it is a little heavier (approx. 80g) and since I only wore it on the rubber, it was a good compromise.

80g of weight added to the watch? That’s very impressive and no small feat.

Beautiful work on the frankens btw. A RGRC will be my first franken when I decide to go down that route and I’ll definitely have it plated by you. Cheers.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
80g of weight added to the watch? That’s very impressive and no small feat.

Beautiful work on the frankens btw. A RGRC will be my first franken when I decide to go down that route and I’ll definitely have it plated by you. Cheers.

It depends how much space you have from inside Caseback to the Rotor. It’s not every time same space.
Rolex has for example not really much space inside the Caseback.

Reactions: JonathanLing91

H S

Smuggler
Supporter
Certified
10/6/21
USA
This was a very good read. I recently had a rep re-plated and this thread answered a lot of questions. Thanks to all of those who contributed, and therefore, enlightened me.

Reactions: flying-tommy

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Just a note. Rose gold (plated) should generally be handled with care. Rose gold contains a copper component for the color. But copper reacts with salt. means no swimming in the sea, or if you sweat heavily, rinse the watch with water.

Just a quick follow up question for you regarding this matter. Have you ever experimented with nanocoating? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I’ve read that it can increase the “durability” of the coating.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Just a quick follow up question for you regarding this matter. Have you ever experimented with nanocoating? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I’ve read that it can increase the “durability” of the coating.

Yes, I have had very good experiences with nanocoating / glass coating / ceramic coating, but only with my cars.

they last a very long time on my car, protect the paintwork and are very easy to clean. I even have material at home.

I'll do a test with an old gold-plated watch to see how the coating behaves with the gold plating and whether it produces the same positive effects.

Thanks for the hint! will report on it.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Yes, I have had very good experiences with nanocoating / glass coating / ceramic coating, but only with my cars.

they last a very long time on my car, protect the paintwork and are very easy to clean. I even have material at home.

I'll do a test with an old gold-plated watch to see how the coating behaves with the gold plating and whether it produces the same positive effects.

No problem. Looking forward to seeing the results!

watchlover1234!

Getting To Know The Place
20/8/22

Did you try coating on rg watch? Any joy?