• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT-Master II movement replacement

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Hello dear friends,

Before I knew this forum, I made a mistake and bought a watch for $ 100, today I know the forum I think is not worth buying such watches. Anyway, the clock misses a few minutes an hour, and I think it doesn't even move the hours. The clock has arrived today, and I think it will be very complicated to return it to the seller, and I was thinking of trying to renovate it. Can only mechanism be replaced? If so, is it tricky to do it alone? You can direct me to a mechanism that can fit me into the GMT-Master II watch. Looking for something the simplest there is, just running like a clock and seeing the time without fakes. Thanks in advance.

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Thank you for the response.
I uploaded photos.

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
This watch will need a DG3804b movement, easy to find on EBay and relatively cheap $30-$40.Make sure you get one with an independently adjustable gmt hand.

Reactions: KJ2020 and ploni1

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
This one looks good
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/133058826245

Independent gmt hand can be set separately from hour hand, on some cheap versions of this movement the gmt hand is slaved to the hour hand and cannot be adjusted separately.

Thanks for the comment and the link. And for the extra explanation, it's clear to me now.

By the way - at first the clock was a lot faked, now that it has been working half a day suddenly it seems to me that there is no deviation of the minutes. Could it be because the watch was new he had to run a little to be good? Or it is normal / improper from start to finish without any intermediate changes.

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
At first I did not notice that I did not upload pictures of the Movement. If I ask then - the Movement that I will replace, is it the same as what I have today or is the alternative better?

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Yes sometimes there is dirt , dust, hair, lint, pork in the movement that interferes with the operation until it is blown or knocked out of the way. When you pull the crown out to the 2nd position you should be able to set the date by turning the crown clockwise and set the gmt hand by turning the crown counter clockwise.

Reactions: ploni1

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
At first I did not notice that I did not upload pictures of the Movement. If I ask then - the Movement that I will replace, is it the same as what I have today or is the alternative better?

It is the same basic movement, check to see if the gmt hand is adjustable on the one you have,

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
thanks for the reply.

1. Got it. So there must have been some dirt there because now it seems to be working fine. By tomorrow I'll know it better.

2. About Date Direction - I pull one click out so you can change the date, it's called 2nd?

3. Indeed, GMT has me moving apart as you explained.

Thanks for everything!!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and Hor-Fan

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Personally, I'd suggest wearing it for a week or so and see how it's doing. Remember position can affect timekeeping. Another thing to consider is if it was barely wound this can affect timekeeping. I wouldn't spend any money on it, I'd put the money towards a better, more accurate replica. Enjoy it as is and sell it on for parts if it's acting up.

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Personally, I'd suggest wearing it for a week or so and see how it's doing. Remember position can affect timekeeping. Another thing to consider is if it was barely wound this can affect timekeeping. I wouldn't spend any money on it, I'd put the money towards a better, more accurate replica. Enjoy it as is and sell it on for parts if it's acting up.

thanks for the reply. I couldn't really put it down for a week because I bought this gift for someone close, I wanted to bring it today and then saw that there was a problem so I told him I was delayed with it. Which makes me happy to see that it starts to work out over time. As for financial investment on the watch, the seller has not yet answered but if there really is a material problem, I thought instead of sending it back, suggesting it to participate in the cost of the mechanism for fairness. We'll see if it works out and see if the seller answers me at all, it's a hidden item on ali express so I'm not really relying on good service. As for a quality watch, I bought a good one from TD and am waiting for it to come to me really soon. And of course thanks for the tips! :)

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Hello everyone. Apparently the arrow of the minutes is still fake. In addition, the clock stops working after about an hour. I talked to the seller, he said he would send me another mechanism, do you think it's so hard to do that?

Given the given situation that the problem can already be diagnosed, is there an interest in trying to fix the existing movement or is it only a viable replacement?

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Hello everyone. Apparently the arrow of the minutes is still fake. In addition, the clock stops working after about an hour. I talked to the seller, he said he would send me another mechanism, do you think it's so hard to do that?

Given the given situation that the problem can already be diagnosed, is there an interest in trying to fix the existing movement or is it only a viable replacement?

If he’s willing to send another movement, take him up on it. It’s a lot easier to swap the movement than to fix a broken one.

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
If he’s willing to send another movement, take him up on it. It’s a lot easier to swap the movement than to fix a broken one.

I understand. He said he was sending me - I hope that's true. That it will start to get interested in the guides to make the replacement. Thank you.

Reactions: Hor-Fan

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Does anyone know what is called the white tool with which the dials are inserted? And if you know where to buy one?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Does anyone know what is called the white tool with which the dials are inserted? And if you know where to buy one?

to press the hands on ?

thats called a hand presser

jmb makes those