• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Master 6542 Project

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA
First I’ll bring you up to speed as this project has been ongoing for years. I can’t count the number of replica 1675’s I’ve built/modified/fantasied. These have been mostly to sell, trade, or modification commissions. I have loads of broken down movements, inserts, crystals, crowns, and GMT hands leftover and I decided to use what I have to make myself a watch.

First I start off with an old cartel case. The things that bothers me the most about these cases are the crownguards. So I started thinking about the 6542 and how I could just remove the crownguards all together. Perfect!

For the bezel and insert I splurged on a custom 4 piece brass with nickel ano set.

Next, for the dial, I’ve swapped out a handful of different dials in this build since it’s conception but I finally got my hands on the most perfect tropical Vietnam dial:

Next, for the movement, and the reason I was inspired to make this thread. I’ve always used DG3804b’s for these builds. I don’t really know why…I hate them. They feel as cheap and flimsy as they are. The run great after a service but I just don’t trust them. Recently this watch started to die on me, and rather than diagnose the issue and likely end up swapping in a new 3804, I decide to try a clone 2836-2. So that’s where this thread begins really.

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA
So let’s swap the dying DG3804 for a 2836-2!

The first thing I need to do is bring over my nice “vinaged” open 69 DWO. I start with removing the datewheel from the 2836

Next I use a razor blade to pry my DWO from the old movement.

Now I need to affix the overlay onto the 2836 datewheel. First I make a tiny little notch on the bottom datewheel to give myself a point of reference for how the overlay should line up:

I then glue down the overlay using the notch and the stem as guides to help me keep the date centered.

Reactions: BigCrown6538

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA
Now it’s time to give the dial some new shoes.

This is the quick and easy way to add dial feet to a dial. It’s not the “right” way, but it can serve as an easy way to get things started.

First I set the movement spacer on the movement then insert some dial feel into the feet holes.

Then I add the smallest little dots of UV glue to the base of the feet. I add it not to the center of the bases, but towards the outside edge so that when I set the dial on top, the glue will spill over the edge of the base ever so slightly.

Then I set the dial on top and center it. This is why I use UV glue here. I can get things centered just right, then zap it with the UV flashlight. This is why I want my glue to seep over the edge of the base a bit. I want just enough that the feet stay attached where I want them while I flip the dial over.

After I hit the watch with the UV flashlight, I life the dial off and flip it over. Now I know where my feet need to be and I can attach them better. This build is always changing so I don’t want these feet to be too permanent. So I don’t countersink the base of the feet or any of that, just glue them in place and I’m ready to move on:

Last edited:

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA

Things are looking good, now it’s time for some hands!

I have some new hands from WSO for this build but that’s the problem…they’re new. I don’t have the time to properly age these hands right now so makeup will have to suffice.

Tamiya is great for this purpose. It’s like makeup for your lume. First, I take my gloves off. Let’s get some finger prints and oils on these hands so they at least look dirty. Set the hand on a staking block and start rubbing in and blending the pigments with the little makeup sponge.

Then I just rub the excess away with some rodico and then wipe it a few times with my fingers to dirty it up a bit more.

If I decide to keep this movement in this watch then I’ll come back later and do proper aging on them but for now they at least match the dial

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA
Here is where I’ve run into a speed bump. I don’t have a seconds hand that will fit. I need one with a longer post to fit the 2836 pinion. I did find a seconds hand with a long post in my box of spares but the hole was much too small. I tried opening it up a bit but couldn’t get the hole large enough without removing too much material

So for now I’m waiting on a new seconds hand from Raffles. Tomorrow I’ll probably still finish assembly just to try it out. Stay tuned!

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Thanks for the write up- always fun to see how others do things. Interesting how you chose a champagne datewheel overlay.
Look forward to seeing the conclusion.

Reactions: unagi

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Nice work looking good! How much do you love the 3804 seconds hand? It's 0.17 and you need 0.2 for the 2836. You could try to broach it?

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA
Nice work looking good! How much do you love the 3804 seconds hand? It's 0.17 and you need 0.2 for the 2836. You could try to broach it?
Thank you! The problem is the length of the post. I had to order a special seconds hand from Raffles with a post long enough to securely seat on the seconds pinion

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Ahh yes understood. Nothing is easy in this caper! Well at least it is easier than getting a taller pinion AND broaching :p

I also share your sentiments on the 3804. They're tempremental shit things! I usually buy 4 when I need 1. I know a couple will fail the process. I've also had a few that have lasted years and keep great time. They're few and far between unfortunately.

Last edited: