• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT-II Clean vs. Deep crystal which is better? [comparison]

eddie78

Looking Around
9/5/23
Usa
Thanks again CTime! I'm considering this mod as well, but am balancing whether or not the thickness of the Deep xtal is worth it. While it may appear slightly clearer, the thickness, imo, is a clear tell... Like, "eww, why is your xtal sticking out so much?" Lol. I have seen very nice deep upgrates on other models, just notbsure its worth it on the GMT.

Has anyone else had this upgrade on a GMT? Would love more thoughts and personal experiences on this! Thank you!

Reactions: CTime

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Thanks again CTime! I'm considering this mod as well, but am balancing whether or not the thickness of the Deep xtal is worth it. While it may appear slightly clearer, the thickness, imo, is a clear tell... Like, "eww, why is your xtal sticking out so much?" Lol. I have seen very nice deep upgrates on other models, just notbsure its worth it on the GMT.

Has anyone else had this upgrade on a GMT? Would love more thoughts and personal experiences on this! Thank you!
It varies from person to person, sure. But as the wearer of the watch, I view the watch straight on more often then I do from any angle. Therefore, I experience the increased height of the crystal much less than I do the improved clarity of it. Therefor, the Deep is a no brainer for me.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK

I've had crystals installed 'too-tall' for my own personal liking from modders in the past and it really bothered my enjoyment of the watch. It's why I'd first learnt to do it myself. Do we know what the crystal thickness actually is on the Deep? Is it only 2mm after all or unusually thiccc?

Hugg727

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
Thanks a lot.
Interesting that the deep crystal seems to protrude a tiny bit moreso than the Clean. I don't know whether the Clean xtal is a little thicker in depth or not. Did the watches in these two examples use the same crystal gasket please? I really appreciate the awesome pics!
I did this mod and IIR the xtals are .1 mm different (2.6 vs 2.7) . Very hard to tell the difference IMHO.

I used the stock Clean gasket without any sanding or mod to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTime and Space Man

RX7GP

🦁
Supporter
Patron
Certified
16/2/16
Yes CF Daytona crystals are / or were very bad (i dont know recent batches)

But new clean GMT-2 crystals are perfect.

Just received my BLRO QC from @CTime , i was going to buy a gen crystal for that but after seeing QC photos, decided not to. Clean definitely nailed it.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I agree, the CF crystal on the latest GMT is not bad but nothing beats GEN crystal.
The latest GEN crystals with full AR are great.

3gVs6W.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RX7GP and CTime

Milburn1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
1/11/22
UK
I agree, the CF crystal on the latest GMT is not bad but nothing beats GEN crystal.

3gVs6W.jpeg
Gen crystal really does make a huge difference, never been a huge fan of the Pepsi but the more I see it the more it’s growing on me. Yours looks great 👍🏻

DJDS

Horology Curious
5/11/23

3gVs6W.jpeg
Will the TD be able to have these installed? Deep Crystal and AR strap? How much is the difference going to be? I’m gonna reach out to Jtime to see what my options are for the custom order.

engbanna1

Known Member
29/5/23
KSA
The photos show that deep xtal is still high and even higher than CF xtal!. Also, I don’t see that it fixed the date over magnification! Is it just me or everyone else too?

lovegensandreps

Kodo Constant-Force Tourbillon rep when?
22/9/22
EU
I would love to a see a comparison again but with the "newer" CF crystal on the V3 Pepsi, the Deep Crystal and maybe this time with Gen if possible.

lovegensandreps

22/9/22
EU
Oh my thats perfect, my wallet thanks you. Can't wait for my Pepsi V3 to arrive.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
You should show the comparison outside. Indoor lightning is not that big of a difference imo

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Clearity is very good on v3, but cyclops and date height is very bad and not correct.

lovegensandreps

22/9/22
EU
Clearity is very good on v3, but cyclops and date height is very bad and not correct.
Tbh I know about the date mag difference but to my eyes from photos at least I can't really see it, especially in the photo domiffm posted they look exactly the same. I guess its more visible irl?