• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT-II Clean vs. Deep crystal which is better? [comparison]

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Hi my friends!

It's been a while, and I am back with more comparisons! I plan to do some modding posts soon, follow me if you are interested!
We were asked to do deep crystal a lot recently, some of you might not know how it looks like yet.
Here we took some pictures, both have pros and cons, see which one you like.

I took these photos by myself, it's a little hard to get out of the dusts and can't get that high resolution. Please forgive me.
Do you think it's necessary to replace the crystal? Let me know.

Yours,
CTime

Itto

Completely irresponsible behaviour
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
The weakness of the CF was always the Black Hole effect. I think, Deep *may* be a bit better in that respect..

Reactions: Akilles and CTime

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Hmm, not sure about the Clean GMT2 stock crystal. But I did replace three Clean Daytona crystals to Deep and the difference is significant.

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
genuine gmt crystal has a bevelled edge not present in the deep but can be found on the clean

3PiTZX.png

3PiCsc.jpg

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
^^ good call on the beveled edge - I didn't notice that at first. I think deep seems to be a *bit* more "black hole effect" but other than that I think for most people it would be good OOTB.

But i'm still putting a gen xtal in mine lol.

kukubirdie

Getting To Know The Place
28/5/18
hmm deep crystals seem to be a little thicker. Although the clean crystal height seems consistent with gen

Reactions: HasA

mac427

26/1/23
texas
I can't see enough difference to justify the hassle. When I wear my Clean Pepsi, all I get are comments like "Wow, how did you get that Pepsi, it's beautiful."

Reactions: McDuck888 and CTime

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
I can't see enough difference to justify the hassle. When I wear my Clean Pepsi, all I get are comments like "Wow, how did you get that Pepsi, it's beautiful."
So then don’t do the upgrade.

Reactions: Endez and CTime

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Thanks a lot.
Interesting that the deep crystal seems to protrude a tiny bit moreso than the Clean. I don't know whether the Clean xtal is a little thicker in depth or not. Did the watches in these two examples use the same crystal gasket please? I really appreciate the awesome pics!

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Thanks a lot.
Interesting that the deep crystal seems to protrude a tiny bit moreso than the Clean. I don't know whether the Clean xtal is a little thicker in depth or not. Did the watches in these two examples use the same crystal gasket please? I really appreciate the awesome pics!
The crystal itself is thicker, to solve that you will need to thin the gasket a bit, but that would cause more problem to waterproof.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Thanks for doing this comparison @CTime I'd be curious to see pics of CF vs Deep crystal to compare how the date is distorted at the edge of the cyclops lens when viewed from and angle. We get a glimpse of this in your 3rd picture, but it would be great to see the date half cut off on the side of the cyclops so we can see the distortion. One thing that Gen crystal has that we've never seen in any rep crystal is that there is virtually no distortion (bending) of the date as it approaches the side of the cyclops. That is, Gen crystal cyclops is nearly perfect optically in terms of distortion of the image: it's either magnified or it's cut off, there is no bleeding or bending of the magnified date image.

mac427

26/1/23
texas
My comment: " I can't see enough difference to justify the hassle. When I wear my Clean Pepsi, all I get are comments like "Wow, how did you get that Pepsi, it's beautiful."
So then don’t do the upgrade.
As my comment implies, I'm not planning to do the upgrade. The OP wanted opinions didn't he?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
The difference between the two is significantly less visible in photographs. In real life, moving it around under different light, it’s quite pronounced, the CF crystals I have seen have been consistently terrible.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
The difference between the two is significantly less visible in photographs. In real life, moving it around under different light, it’s quite pronounced, the CF crystals I have seen have been consistently terrible.
Yeah, Clean crystals are pretty poor for sho!

Reactions: Autobús

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Agreed. The difference a Deep crystal cannot be appreciated in still images.

Space Man

23/5/22
Houston, Texas
What is it that makes (supposed to make) the Deep Crystal better ?

My impression is that the dial appears clearer with the Deep Crystal …

Is it because of the depth of the Deep Crystal, i.e., it’s thicker ?

Or is there an AR coating on the Deep Crystals ?

Or something else ?