• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF DayDate Movement Identification and Help. Please & Thanks!

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
kc6tmpbwzolb1.jpg

Just wanted to confirm if this is an Asian ETA 2836-2 movement inside my recently acquired GMF Day date.

I also would like to access and clean the dial. Can someone confirm where to press down to remove the watch stem.

Thanks for the help!

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
(I don't know movements by eye, but if it does turn out to be 2836-2 movement, remember to perhaps only press the button down to release the stem with the red screwdriver. Other shapes and sizes of screwdriver tip might screw up the keyless works. Or at least for me they do hehe).

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
(I don't know movements by eye, but if it does turn out to be 2836-2 movement, remember to perhaps only press the button down to release the stem with the red screwdriver. Other shapes and sizes of screwdriver tip might screw up the keyless works. Or at least for me they do hehe).

Thanks for the advice but I usually just use the the sharp tip of tweezers to do so, not sure if my way is proper or not lol

Reactions: McDuck888

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
You’ll have to remove the deco plate to access the stem release

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
You’ll have to remove the deco plate to access the stem release

I have already removed the stem without removing the deco plate

However, now I am unable to locate the clamps and screws holding the movement in the case

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
Really? Those screws don't appear to be accessible

Here are updated photos with the stem out

Just based on screw accessibility, it seems like its the screw ontop of the 3 in the 3255 movement label and the 2nd screw between ADJ & 5POS

Thanks for the help!

tzmhnmpsgulb1.jpg

yawxe80vgulb1.jpg

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Try unscrewing the ones you mention, they may release the movement from the spacer ring.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
At this stage I'd have given up and tried to gain access by removing the bezel and crystal from the front which could cause more problems. Kudos to you Sir.

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
Try unscrewing the ones you mention, they may release the movement from the spacer ring.

Hmmm.... I guess I'll have to wait for an "expert" to chime in here, I'm a little bit uneasy with just trying to take out random screws and hoping for the best, I was only confident on the stem removal part as I've done it many times across movements, just haven't really encounter many with movement clamps and screws to the case

At this stage I'd have given up and tried to gain access by removing the bezel and crystal from the front which could cause more problems. Kudos to you Sir.

Hahaha thanks, I'm far too stubborn to give up, I will probably end up breaking a watch before giving up which is a huge fault of mine lol

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Yeah it's the movement clamps to the movement ring being hidden away that have me confused here too! And I, like you, would persist until I kill the watch off truly ;-) I hope some more people come in and help you out.

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
Yeah it's the movement clamps to the movement ring being hidden away that have me confused here too! And I, like you, would persist until I kill the watch off truly ;-) I hope some more people come in and help you out.

I hope so too, ive cross posted across multiple places with very little engagement except for this thread here

I truly didnt realize accessing the dial of this GMF DayDate replica would be this much trouble

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
Turns out I am able to access and loosen those 3 screws as @Hor-Fan mentioned, now the movement can freely spin in the case but still unable to remove, any ideas what the next steps are? Thanks

qjseb1kr0wlb1

overmind3p4c

Known Member
10/6/19
I also spun one of the screws to where it meets the stem insert as someone suggested but still no luck

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
The movement package won’t come out until the clamps are removed, which looks to be a difficult job with the deco plate in place

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Hmmm… I’ve read through the thread. This looks like a thickly decorated ETA clone movement.

I would start by trying to remove the rotor. You can probably get the central decorated screw loose by using two sharp tools to apply some counter clockwise torque.

After you get the rotor off, ID’d unscrew any screw you can see on the decoration plate. Some might just be glued on screw heads, others will be long and secure the decoration plate onto the movement proper. Once the decoration plate is off, post a pic and we can make a plan from there.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
As mentioned, it's a 2836 with a decoration plate. Honestly, I'd throw that deco plate in the rubbish bin. Deco plate needs to come off to access the movement tabs. Also, I recommend using a small flathead screwdriver foe the stem release, using something pointy like tweezers can end up pushing the stem release too far and then you'll need to pull the dial and hands off to access the keyless.

Last thing, make sure your stem is pulled out to the time setting position before you remove the stem.

Reactions: Hor-Fan