• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF day date president bracelet

icqmtl77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/7/09
Hi..
Though I am not new to this forum, I have been away for a long time. The last watch from chasingtime is easily 5-6 years ago.
Recently I got back and immediately bought a olive dial day date off a member who put it up for sale. Communication was great and it was stated clearly that the bracelet will be short.

1. Turn out it was indeed too short/tight for my wrist. I been hunting for long but still unable to buy a spare link. Any kind soul has any idea, pls let me know

2. Also, the flute bezel has unfortunately fallen off the watch even though I have yet to wear it. It seems like the previous owners have glue it on instead of the usual friction fitted.
Anyone has any idea/glue recommended to fit this fallen bezel will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Regarding the bezel: I don't think you can do that successfully at home without watchmaking experience, and especially not without special tools...

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Can't speak to your issues with the bezel, but I am in the exact same situation with the bracelet size. I had read that gmf didn't provide extra links like most makers do. I ordered a couple of links from a seller I found on eBay. If they work out on mine I will post the link. I did reach out to a couple of dealers and one of them got back to me and informed me that gmf doesn't sell the bracelets separately. So I'm hoping that these eBay links work.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I've replaced the bezel on a datejust. It came off relatively easily together with the crystal. Replaced with smooth bezel without further aids, so friction fitted. Before using glue, I'd try with a thin stripe of tape to allow for said friction.

Reactions: Rx4Time

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Ok first of all GMF do sell spare parts AFAIK - go ask trustyparts. But you have to go for whole bracelet i guess.

For the bezel, if I would have bought m2m and seller did not mention that, i would be pised if i know he knew and would contact him for a statement about this fact.
Thats not how sales go thru here IMO.
Good luck.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ok first of all GMF do sell spare parts AFAIK - go ask trustyparts. But you have to go for whole bracelet i guess.

For the bezel, if I would have bought m2m and seller did not mention that, i would be pised if i know he knew and would contact him for a statement about this fact.
Good luck.
If the links I got from eBay look like crap then I will try that route. Thank you for posting as I did not even think about trusty parts as an option.

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
I have a BPF Day Date sitting around - would the links fit the GMF bracelet? Could potentially send you the watch incl. bracelet for a tiny fee as I am not wearing the watch...

icqmtl77

19/7/09
Regarding the bezel: I don't think you can do that successfully at home without watchmaking experience, and especially not without special tools...
Dear eBoy, thank you so much for the prompt response. I dont have the necessary tools. However, this is a case of the flute bezel now being too small after the crystal has been replaced by a gen crystal, so not so sure is gluing on the only option.

icqmtl77

19/7/09
Can't speak to your issues with the bezel, but I am in the exact same situation with the bracelet size. I had read that gmf didn't provide extra links like most makers do. I ordered a couple of links from a seller I found on eBay. If they work out on mine I will post the link. I did reach out to a couple of dealers and one of them got back to me and informed me that gmf doesn't sell the bracelets separately. So I'm hoping that these eBay links work.
Yes i have tried asking a few TD and gotten the same response as you did.
Please do keep me inform if the ebay links will work. Those from rafflesdial will not work as I last checked.

icqmtl77

19/7/09
I've replaced the bezel on a datejust. It came off relatively easily together with the crystal. Replaced with smooth bezel without further aids, so friction fitted. Before using glue, I'd try with a thin stripe of tape to allow for said friction.
Thank you. WIll give it a try.

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
I had a gen crystal on a GMF DD before. So it can be done. But there was a problem with the gasket - are you using the gen gasket or the original Gmf?

icqmtl77

19/7/09

Good luck.
I did check back with him and he mentioned that the bezel never fall off before when he is having it. As I am not an active member here, I wouldnt want to alert the mod even though this was a high value sales transaction approved by mod.

i sincerely feel that the seller was not in the know and so I should try to fix it on my own.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

icqmtl77

19/7/09
I had a gen crystal on a GMF DD before. So it can be done. But there was a problem with the gasket - are you using the gen gasket or the original Gmf?
I am not sure is the gasket gen or the gmf gasket as the watch come with the gen crystal already installed.
can I check your combination
1. Gen crystal, gen flute bezel and gen gasket? or
2. Gen crystal, gmf flute bezel and gmf gasket?

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
I am not sure is the gasket gen or the gmf gasket as the watch come with the gen crystal already installed.
can I check your combination
1. Gen crystal, gen flute bezel and gen gasket? or
2. Gen crystal, gmf flute bezel and gmf gasket?
That's exactly the problem, I don't know what gasket I used in the end but one was too thick and one was too thin. I shaved a bit off the thick one - i THINK it was shaved gen gasket (plus gmf fluted bezel). I might be wrong tho, at one point i just had a LOT of gaskets flying around 😅

There's also the option, that i used a Clean DJ41 gasket - but i guess i would remember that.