• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GF Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe

kobe24

Renowned Member
19/7/16
GF vs GEN

https://hkrwf.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=8173&extra=

113903pk1ossrkg8kkkzz8.jpg

113903pd9elgljej6lvbvc.jpg

113904kf1t19qql3bfj2fx.jpg

113904ipz3m3qdiyrbljbz.jpg

113904dp5t6eg6vz2grggh.jpg

113904p2xtgmmgxbxf1bcv.jpg

113902neol6nfen6976esd.jpg

113903j8phbfm3bwfghjcz.jpg

113903kx7tomxt3gtz7me5.jpg

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
kobe24

Is it better to wait for ZF? Are they fixing the crown issues found on the grey ceramic?

Last edited:

TagHeuerFan1963

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
6/10/13
Earth
how can they never get the bezel right? not even ZF did, like the numbers disappear in certain lights which is weird because it's not like they're engraved and filled with platinum like on the ceramic submariners.

Reactions: vcappp

davidws

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/8/06
global
I ordered the Blue ZF, but the QC pics didn't show the crown. When I called the TD on it, he finally admitted the ZF factory had an issue with the crown... I still haven't seen replacement QC pics to find a good one and have just cancelled the blue ZF for this black one even though I would have really preferred the black.

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
little

Im uncertain if what you're pointing out on the bezel is an actual issue. As there are other ceramic bezels with liquid metal that don't have the look your talking about, i/e omega crpo. So if ZF did use an original from sample, I'd assume they'd try to get it close enough as it is doable.

Here's a pic from Instagram that is a gen with the same "issue" you're speaking of..

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnm7vTyBpTq/

TagHeuerFan1963

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
6/10/13
Earth
little

Im uncertain if what you're pointing out on the bezel is an actual issue. As there are other ceramic bezels with liquid metal that don't have the look your talking about, i/e omega crpo. So if ZF did use an original from sample, I'd assume they'd try to get it close enough as it is doable.

Here's a pic from Instagram that is a gen with the same "issue" you're speaking of..

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnm7vTyBpTq/

Thank you for this, had no idea.

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Yep, looks good. I'm actually waiting on the ZF version of this..

Reactions: davidws

davidws

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/8/06
global

I initially ordered the Blue ZF, but the TD who I ordered it from couldn't come back with a good quality crown for a month and no other TDs would commit to even a decent crown, so I switched to this version, which looks great as far as I can see!

Can't wait to get this on the wrist!

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14

GF is usually better than ZF in terms of QC and in terms of replication accuracy as GF almost always uses a gen sample for replication.

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
ZF certainly has poor QC issues, but at the end, all reps are luck of the draw. I have not yet had a flawless rep from any factory, from dust underneath the dial, to crowns that don't fully engage to parts that aren't exactly fitted correctly. That is the nature of the replica watch game unfortunately. You accept things a bit more than their genuine counterparts.

That being said, if you look that GF vs Gen, you'll see things they got wrong where ZF got correct. At the end, it's a subjective opinion to which "flaws" are more acceptable than others. Surely any factory if they wanted to could replicate a watch pretty much asthetically the same. These subtle differences retain the replica and genuine watch market.