• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Getting sick of the QC pics threads flooding the subforums

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
I mean seriously guys you are freaking flooding the subforums with these useless threads and pushing the real and informative threads on the back pages. Why ask for QC pics when you don't even know what to look for? Am I the only one being annoyed by all this? I mean FFS yesterday someone posted QC pics of his $78 Rolex GMT.

Why don't you post them in the Off Topic section or something, since they really ARE off topic and belong there?

I may sound like an ass but that's just how I feel about it

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Someone had to say it and I hope you feel better Q. :)

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
guys! i just got 22 replicas! guess whats comming!!!
yes!!!!!!!!!!!
qc pictues in color and in black and white!!!!! for those vintage lovers! stay tune

automatics

4/11/10
I have to agree.
QC pics if you're specific about a certain issue that you'd like confirmation on. E.g. a non-model specific quirk that is somehow appearing on your sample. Perhaps there's value add in soliciting opinion.

But when people data dump QC pics.
And expect people to spoonfeed opinion. That's meaningless.
And why bother asking for QC pics if you're not going to do any QC yourself.

More often than not anyway.
The responses I see are not of very much critical value.
Since they're mostly like..." nice watch! get it! beautiful! if you like it! etc"

End of the day.
Do your own research. Every rep has its common flaws. Many not fixed by the manufacturers. Understand the flaws specific to your rep.
And then if you see mechanical/quality issues outside those flaws, then flag them.

And know that you do get what you pay for.
So if you're paying higher value - e.g. for an "Ultimate" version <USD250-350.
- you might have a cause to quibble a bit more.

If you're paying entry level dollar for the beginner versions - <USD100.
- then live & let live.

:)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I do have to agree that too many of them are being posted by people who are too lazy to do their own homework. I've reached a point where I've stopped bothering with them.

Find something you're interested in.
Search the forum for reviews.
Google Image search large photos and compare to your QC pics.
Search the forum some more.
Buy watch or go to top and repeat.

There's more than enough information on most popular watches here to make an educated decision. Seems that the same questions are asked repeatedly. Most questions can easily be answered if a person took the time to search the forum and study the gen they want first, then proceed.

1180399609171.gif

wolfwood

4/2/11
I agree. I usually just skip over those "pick apart these QC pics" threads.

Maybe there should be a special "help me. i don't know nothin'" section. :cry: Not that I know anything ... of course. :maty:

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I'm with QQ, at first it was ok but it really starts to be annoying.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
I agree with both Q's. I've mentioned this in an earlier thread... I like helping a brother out but when this trend started I felt we were enabling too much and squandering resources as a result... If you explain what to look for, the individual should be able to figure out there own QC pics. I realize we all can miss certain flaws for any number of reasons but the original emphasis on patience, focus and striving to learn this stuff shouldn't be undermined. Case in point, a $78 Rolex GMT. People still need to read or at the very least, use the search function.

In think analyzing QC pics can be addressed separately. Everyone should know the tells. People gotta' look at the individual parts their watches or request that they can see them in the pictures. As a tool, the QC process should be left for the TD's and their customers to finalize purchases and leave everyone blissfully happy... rainbows and unicorns and 1:1 replicas...

I gotta' go to bed...

Find something you're interested in.
Search the forum for reviews.
Google Image search large photos and compare to your QC pics.
Search the forum some more.
Buy watch or go to top and repeat.

1180399609171.gif

WTF??!! That's it, in a f***ing nutshell!! Emphasis on "nut".

Now I gotta' go to bed since 7 of my brethren have responded as I was writing this nonsense.

I love you all, especially you Bachs... ;)

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
The issue that baffles me... Posting a "look at my QC photos and tell me what's amiss"... Then getting pissed at someone for pointing out massive flaws in the watch shown.
I'm done commenting on them as folks are looking for a smack on the back with an "atta-boy"... No desire for actual input.
The recent Pam depthguage (293?) qc photos spring to mind.... Horrible lume jobs, on par with Ufanta, and the same folks getting testy when the obvious flaw in build is mentioned.

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
The QC threads are annoying me as well... I'm not a huge fan of them for all the issues noted above, not to mention our dealers will get annoyed. These are some damn good reps they're sending photos of.

In the years that I've been collecting reps, the quality of service and rep has never been this good. QC pics? Three years ago that would be a dream. We usually had to settle for the explanation that the dealer doesn't "drop ship", so their QC is immediately better.

Or there was the Cartel's phantom extra $80 for waterproofing, when everyone knew damn well that they drop shipped from the factory direct. How could they waterproof? This as well as the price fixing discussion is all part of the reason they're not trusted on this board anymore.

And to add... These H-factory PAMs are unbelievable, friggen' unbelievable, these new 42mm UPOs, these IWC Top Guns V-1,2, or whatever... They're all unreal.

I fear that we're becoming a bit complacent as it feels like we're in a golden age of the rep right now. I keep thinking that the international copywriters are going to slam these factories sooner or later, and this entire hobby will go down the tubes.

I guess my point is that despite the fact that we are the dealer's customers, we are dealing in a hobby which is legally questionable at best, and those guys are providing some exceptional service compared to what we had years ago.

That's my two cents....

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
+1 for the subforum for QC pics but, hey, really now: can a thread annoy? Isn't it just enough not clicking on it and look somewhere else? For a lot of people, specially noobs, showing their QC it's not only useful to get an opinion, but it's also made to proudly show a new buy. I posted a few days ago QC pics of my new Hublot not asking help (i gave Angus ok before posting), but just to show some pics of my new watch.........and that can be annoying???? Don't want to be polemic, but sounds to me that some forumers are a bit too delicate.....

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I may sound like an ass but that's just how I feel about it

Not at all, in fact I agree completely. OK fair enough if you need to know "Is this a v3?" or the like fine but to post 'em so people can point out the tells is just not on. QC pics are for checking for dust, scratches, bad markers etc. A person should be able to do that for themselves without help. If people start to refuse watches because someone pointed out that the dial font is wrong on this model or (as on some models of SA) the lume dots are not quite centred on the markers when the problem exists with every watch made the dealers are going to stop sending QC pics.

I have seen many examples recently of people saying they will refuse a watch because people have pointed our errors that the poster should have been aware of before he ordered. In a lot of cases that means the dealer is stuck with the watch until he can sell it to someone else. That gets expensive for the dealer and costs will be passed on. Dealer cost are rising ATM anyway with the poor performance of the USD against the RMB and this QC pic craze will contribute to any planned price rise.

Now while I do not wish to ban the posting of QC pics because as stated above there are legitimate reasons to post them I also do not wish to encourage the practice and give it legitimacy by creating a special forum for them. That would imply that the staff and management of RWI condone their posting and I for one (in most cases, exceptions above) do not. They are a waste of space and highly unfair on the dealers and in turn you, the members (via possible loss of QC pics and/or price rises) as a result.

I think the best we can is hope that responsible members will guide newbies by politely explaining what QC pics are for and that research on the accuracy of the model should be done BEFORE ordering. You may have noticed some of my posts to that effect in some recent QC threads.

In short, admin is aware of the issue but TBH the only way to tackle it that is fair to all involved is education and in that we need your help.

Col.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I agree completely. Do your own work , you lazy bastids.

Besides, it's totally unfair to the dealers when you come here and ask people to pick them apart. If you can't find a problem, then there is no problem.

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
+1 to TB's comments... I for one do not want to see the prices of rep's increase and that' s what can happen if members count on other members to accept or reject a watch. Hell, I'm still a noob as far as that goes but I've learned a lot from the forum and by working with dealers on a trial and error basis without input from all. That's part of the game isn't it... learn by doing?!?

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
TBH honest I have chimed in on a couple of the QC threads, but after being sent a couple of watches with flaws I should have seen or asked for better pictures for.

Its actually helped me to be more aware of what to look for myself. Its a learning process and loosing a bit of cash on some not so great watches, will help weed out the people not that in to it. Besides which, for what we pay for some of these watches, you cannot complain about the quality of what you are getting.