• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen VS ZF rep comparison: grey 15500

DrMaRcO

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/20
thx a lot for this great review
can't wait to get one :D

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Grey dial was reported by members to look black depending the light.

legend time to do a blue dial versus bro :)

Reactions: vcappp

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Grey dial was reported by members to look black depending the light.

legend time to do a blue dial versus bro :)

Bro If you check a few pages up [mention]tinitonsi [/mention] did exactly that ;)

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Bro If you check a few pages up [mention]tinitonsi [/mention] did exactly that ;)

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

I'll go check that!

Well it's versus a grey dial, someone order the zf 15500 blue and send it to him for the review? :)

Last edited:

Legacyy

12/3/20
Great review.
The dial looks really dark in my opinion, the rest is really well done.

Silencing the rotor would be awesome as a little tutorial. On my black one it's really annoying.

You mentioned "softening the edges of the bracelet". What's the best way to do this? I already read a lot about a bath in baby oil.

Gesendet von meinem ANE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
as you said on its own the dial colour seems to look good. compared to gen maybe a bit off but it also changes with light etc. great review. thank you

Hertzen

12/4/20
+1 on silencing rotor tutorial!

There are some here, but not for 15500, and not from the Master himself :)

Legend, do you find any difference in quality built on "feelings" level? Something that photos do not convey?

I've yet to compare this to gen AP, but when I compare it to my gen Rolexes, there is some difference.
Overall, Rolex feels very "solid" and "monolith", build quality is very robust, gaps between parts is minimal and so is the movement of the parts which should not move (e.g., SEL joint).
ZF feels more "noisy", but not just because of the rotor sound - bracelet produces sounds when you shake the watch as well, I assume because there is some play / backlash between its parts which is perfected in Gens.

Basically, I would say when I look at ZF it looks as 99% of a $20k watch, huh.
But if I take ZF with closed eyes I could say that it costs fraction of that - even with rotor silenced.

Do you experience something like this when comparing to Gen 15500?

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp and stufuse

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
You mentioned "softening the edges of the bracelet". What's the best way to do this? I already read a lot about a bath in baby oil.

I would be interested to know this too. Is an oil bath what is meant or some emery paper perhaps to the “sharp” corners of the bracelet? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
+1 on silencing rotor tutorial!

Legend, do you find any difference in quality built on "feelings" level? Something that photos do not convey?

I've yet to compare this to gen AP, but when I compare it to my gen Rolexes, there is some difference.
Overall, Rolex feels very "solid" and "monolith", build quality is very robust, gaps between parts is minimal and so is the movement of the parts which should not move (e.g., SEL joint).
ZF feels more "noisy", but not just because of the rotor sound - bracelet produces sounds when you shake the watch as well, I assume because there is some play / backlash between its parts which is perfected in Gens.

Basically, I would say when I look at ZF it looks as 99% of a $20k watch, huh.
But if I take ZF with closed eyes I could say that it costs fraction of that - even with rotor silenced.

Do you experience something like this when comparing to Gen 15500?

Very good point.

To be honest, if I am to blindfold myself and pick up a watch in each hand, I will need to rely on the bracelet feel and the sound of the movement to tell which is which.
A silenced rep will eliminate the tell of sound and a bracelet edge bevel, polish and softening will eliminate the tell of feel.
The ZF rep looks impressive on its own to be honest. Without the gen side by side comparison, and without expert knowledge of the watch, the watch can be called out only by scrutinizing the dial finish and color (I reiterate that grey, black and blue all have this same issue). The gen dial texture and tapisseries are different from the rep ones, and if you know what to look for, you know if a 15500 is gen or rep. Drop in a gen dial and this tell is eliminated as well.
The datewheel may be something which shows off AP craftsmanship, but in real life, I cannot see the difference and I am not going to pretend to see one just because I own the gen. :hehehe:

I hardly if ever wear my 15500 but being a AP watch collector, I will still keep it in my possession and likely in the safe. If I ever feel the urge to wear one, a modded ZF 15500 will serve nicely. Yes it is not perfect, yes it is not 1:1. But it is good enough for a wrist novelty and I think for most members here, that is reason good enough.

Hertzen

12/4/20
The ZF rep looks impressive on its own to be honest. Without the gen side by side comparison, and without expert knowledge of the watch, the watch can be called out only by scrutinizing the dial finish and color (I reiterate that grey, black and blue all have this same issue). The gen dial texture and tapisseries are different from the rep ones, and if you know what to look for, you know if a 15500 is gen or rep.

Great answer!
Agree. Look, of course it is still identifiable, I don't worry much about this - I care more about it being a great watch in itself : )
Which it is! My question is "without an AP logo, would this watch still be a good deal for $500" and my answer is "even for $1500 it's a good watch".
Heck, it's build quality is not that far from my gen Omega, for example, and exceeds it in some points.

For guys discussing the bracelet: my feeling of the bracelet have changed drastically after 1 week of wearing the watch and washing it with soap multiple times. Bracelet has softened.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Awesome Legend, thanks for that.

For those asking, there are loads of 'silence rotor' threads out there. Molykote is the best solution I've found for noisy Miyotas. I've tried various 'correct' oils to lube it, but they do bugger all. Molykote is the best hack ever. Totally silenced my Miyota. Check other tutorials, but basically take your rotor off. Use an oiler or similar to dab a tiny amount of Molykote into the bearings, use a toothpick to rotate the bearings, clean up any excess with rodico and put it back together. Silence!

Edit - I should add that I'm no modder - pay attention to me at your peril. But my watchsmith told me about the Molykote hack so it's good!

Last edited:

Hertzen

12/4/20
hopefully ZF will rep this one, honestly i think i love this dial more than the blue for some reason

Agree, white dial on ROs is a stunner. If I will go for gen, it will be a white one most likely.

Last edited:

jwwong82

Horology Curious
21/7/14
Nice and honest write up legend the ZF15500 is impressive indeed. I just received the grey version as well this morning and I was planning to make a review with my gen blue one.
I completely agree with you in all you said above ;)
Some side by side pics I just took

12afdadadfbba5d97f8bf91e379f483d.jpg

f4b5a5f52f8738f5d9d33dbeec51ff2d.jpg

19ff0f989ab1f9378343c2194c4cd9e1.jpg

8cca5d1fbba742333284925e64b3634d.jpg

1d2e21175822c5aeded1eb0ac63fd2ac.jpg

Are you "Tcheeco" in RWF? That 15500 is really unique with all the dings!

jwwong82

Horology Curious
21/7/14
Nice and honest write up legend the ZF15500 is impressive indeed. I just received the grey version as well this morning and I was planning to make a review with my gen blue one.
I completely agree with you in all you said above ;)
Some side by side pics I just took

Are you "Tcheeco" in RWF? That 15500 is really unique with all the dings!

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
legend thank you so so much for this solid and quality there !

may I ask you re. The crystal you mentioned there is no difference, does your opinion differ in broad daylight please ?

yes I am a sucker for Prof crystal that always give a luxury touch according to my taste on a rep.

Do you think this JF piece would benefit from a Prof crystal please ? My concern his daylight...

cheers

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend thank you so so much for this solid and quality there !

may I ask you re. The crystal you mentioned there is no difference, does your opinion differ in broad daylight please ?

yes I am a sucker for Prof crystal that always give a luxury touch according to my taste on a rep.

Do you think this JF piece would benefit from a Prof crystal please ? My concern his daylight...

cheers

Hello Fire thank you for the kindness.
IMHO the JF crystal is good enough in the daylight but if you scrutinize both closely I am certain that the gen one will show superior clarity, but only under scrutiny. There is a limit to single AR clarity as one side will always remain reflective so I will not upgrade it unless the crystal is of paramount importance to you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Prof 2xAR you mean?