• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs Rep box side by side comparison

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
A short while ago I posted pics about my rep box, now I have got the gen box as well so I wanted to do a side by side comparison. Also I wanted to do the comparison because I've noticed a rep box being sold on eBay. They are being sold at high prices overthere, $400 - 500 - 600. I even saw one priced at $1100.

Now about the price, the price on eBay is ridiculously high, mostly they are 2nd hand and used. $400 is just a big rip off. I paid $100 for a gen box directly from an AP AD. That shows how much it is worth...

Gen on the right,

The outer box has a different finishing, the gen feels more rough, the rep is somewhat smoother, also notice the difference in colours. The logo positioning is spot on. Before I forget to mention, the weight of the boxes feels the same.
759ad64d.jpg

gen on the right,
when taking off the outer box you notice that the gen box is lighter than the rep box, the rep box sometimes looks black in some angles. The rep box looks more brownish, the gen box looks somewhat red-brownish. Also notice the difference in height concerning the logo positioning, the rep is lower than the gen.

0ae829e6.jpg

62a9006c.jpg

When opening the box you notice the biggest difference, the inside.
gen on the right:

c478b611.jpg

the biggest tell to me is the finishing of the wood (you need to look good, but on the gen you can see the "veins" of the wood, on the rep you see smooth finished edges. Also notice the difference in the leather, on the rep it looks somewhat brighter than on the gen:

Gen:
4b21566e.jpg

Rep:
a2db0a9f.jpg

Inner printing, the gen is better finished, the silver lettering reflects more than on the rep. (the missing text under the logo on the rep is not a flaw, some gen boxes come like this, however, even on the rep boxes there seem to be 2 versions, 1 with and 1 without text, I like the text better). Positioning is the same

gen:
aa58c5c4.jpg

rep:
6f49451a.jpg

Last comparison pics, the push-button on the boxes, on the gen it is smaller, the hole where the pin fit's is better finished on the gen. The pin on the rep is longer than on the gen. Notice the colour difference on these pics:

gen:
808490ff.jpg

rep:
61c79204.jpg

gen:
776f8ba4.jpg

rep:
a31a2bbe.jpg

Conclusion:

The rep box is close, very close, the flaws are small imo and the rep box is worth the money, offcourse if you can source a gen box like me you pay the same price (but you won't get any booklets).

Now, let's hope I receive my AP's soon... Been waiting since the 15th of December and man, that takes LONG!

Thanks for reading.

HR911

Renowned Member
27/8/09
UK
Excellent comparitive review Edge.

I'll order this rep box when I get my next AP.

Thanks