• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen U-Boat U-42 GMT 53mm

J.Prime

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
11/4/10
I haven't been around in a while, but my love for watches has not ended, I'm starting to come around more and would like to share my recent 'grail' purchase!!

I got my hands on the original U-42 about 3 years ago in Charleston when it was newly released, M.P. Demetre Jewlers had one on display. I loved it, the unique crown configuration and locking bezel are great and I always prefer Titanium watches. I'm also very fond of the black dial with tan numerals, and the red GMT hand adds a little bit of a sporty feel into the mix. I recently came across a GMT at a price I couldn't pass up, so I placed the order and impatiently awaited its arrival. I even met the UPS guy at the end of the block on my way into work and grabbed the watch, unwrapped it in the truck, strapped it on and barely looked at the road on the way into work!

I love it!! I had done a decent amount of research about U-Boat and have read plenty of mixed reviews. However, this watch and what I've been seeing from U-Boat lately shows a strong move in the right direction. The build quality and design of the newer models are a large step above what they have had in the past. I'm a fan, the watch has barely come off my wrist for the past 3 weeks. It is exactly what I want in a watch. I love the contrast of tan numerals on the black dial, the brushed Ti case is starting to get a little oxidation and darken ever so slightly, perfect!! All around a great watch, but U-Boat has a lot to learn about Lume!!! It's not what it should be by any measure of a watch with this price tag... But, since I'm not ever without some sort of light, it's just a small problem. It starts out strong but doesn't last...

The case this came in is quite amazing by itself! It's a solid, 8lb stainless steel box with a port hole and domed crystal with a locking lever styled after the watches crown.. There is also a serial numbered plaque inside. Fantastic!!

Here are some pictures and a few different straps I've made up for it. The original strap was poorly sized for my 7" wrist so it came off immediately.

With everything locked down, the entire width of the watch is only 2mm wider than 47mm Pams and the Breitling Super avenger. Titanium takes some of the weight off as well and this wears surprisingly comfortable. Here is a shot with the crown and bezel lock lever extended.

Vintage Warzone 'Recon' strap

And my current favorite, Natural Python

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
Love that dial, hope they make a mini version.
I never saw a watch with lume in that color that's any good, I guess it's a trade off.

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Congrats on a great watch. That sir is a Man's watch. Unfortunately for me, I can never sport a 53mm on my puny girly wrist :(

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
That is a great looking watch. Ive seen this thing in real life and the SOB is a beast. I hope they make a smaller one of this

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
Great looking watch
Nice to see you back
on the boards J.
Don't be a stranger.